Re-Review The Fury X and 390X

sohayel_nafi

Hey Linus, since you got the 390X and the Fury X, could you Re-Review (Fury X) please, since the New WHQL Driver is out? it's supposed to performe better in games and benchmarks.

Thank you

Sohayel. nafi

Err I don't think AMD is marketing the driver as "EXTREME PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS FOR FURY X!!!", so probably something minor. Not worth a review IN MY OPINION

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Hey Linus, since you got the 390X and the Fury X, could you Re-Review (Fury X) please, since the New WHQL Driver is out? it's supposed to performe better in games and benchmarks.

Thank you

its not Linus's Job to pick the best of the bunch and review it, he should be able to benchmark what he wants and it's AMD's job to make sure they deliver a driver that's optimized when released.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

well some of the AMD user are saying that they got massive improvement over the New Drive, I just wanna know if that is actually true or not

Sohayel. nafi

well some of the AMD user are saying that they got massive improvement over the New Drive, I just wanna know if that is actually true or not

yes, but its still not Linus job to test every drivers that comes out for a new card.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

yes, but its still not Linus job to test every drivers that comes out for a new card.

well he just got 390X, we will see

Sohayel. nafi

I just rlly wanna see Linus do a 390 v 970 showdown like Jay did ^_^

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

well he just got 390X, we will see

he'll probably show benchmarks using the new drivers, so yeah. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Err I don't think AMD is marketing the driver as "EXTREME PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS FOR FURY X!!!", so probably something minor. Not worth a review IN MY OPINION

I think it's completely worth redoing the benchmarks, especially with how insanely much variance there were between reviews.  Some people had the Fury X competing with the 980 TI, others barely better than a 980.  Obviously something was very very wrong.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I think it's completely worth redoing the benchmarks, especially with how insanely much variance there were between reviews.  Some people had the Fury X competing with the 980 TI, others barely better than a 980.  Obviously something was very very wrong.

Really?

Wow did not know that, have been away from the tech industry for a while...

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Did LMG ever benchmark the Fury X?

Last I remember the original review had benchmarks from some other site because the one LMG got was defective.

Since then Linus has mentioned they got a new Fury X that seems to be in working order.

The video where Linus dropped the AMD box from his car made me cringed.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

The video where Linus dropped the AMD box from his car made me cringed.

Yeah but honestly You dont even know if the card was in the box in the video it could of been  empty & 2 how delicate do you think UPS & Fed Ex is with your packing when it goes from truck to plane to truck and then being loaded into a delivery truck being thrown each time lol Im not saying there crazy rough with it but dropping it as linus did 2 feet off the ground im sure similar type of force happens all day long with your packages 

Yeah but honestly You dont even know if the card was in the box in the video it could of been empty & 2 how delicate do you think UPS & Fed Ex is with your packing when it goes from truck to plane to truck and then being loaded into a delivery truck being thrown each time lol Im not saying there crazy rough with it but dropping it as linus did 2 feet off the ground im sure similar type of force happens all day long with your packages

Guess that's true. I think it would be better off not to overthink about stuff cause of the wise range of possibilities without your knowledge.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Yeah but honestly You dont even know if the card was in the box in the video it could of been  empty & 2 how delicate do you think UPS & Fed Ex is with your packing when it goes from truck to plane to truck and then being loaded into a delivery truck being thrown each time lol Im not saying there crazy rough with it but dropping it as linus did 2 feet off the ground im sure similar type of force happens all day long with your packages 

Guess that's true. I think it would be better off not to overthink about stuff cause of the wise range of possibilities without your knowledge.

How do we even know it was a shipping company or Linus that damaged it?  It could of been faulty before it was even shipped out.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I used to load UPS trucks and i can tell you 1st hand that shit just gets thrown around a lot.

Maybe not test every single driver, but at least warn people. Like put in the graphs "these tests were done with this driver, and newer drivers could bring different results" Takes 30seconds and would definitely be a plus in my book.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

Maybe not test every single driver, but at least warn people. Like put in the graphs "these tests were done with this driver, and newer drivers could bring different results" Takes 30seconds and would definitely be a plus in my book.

there are updated graphs when every new card comes in the description, and Luke will benchmark the cards each time all over again if there's a new driver when the card launches. there are much better things to do really, if you really want to know there are plenty of their sites you could find.  

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Heyyo,

If Linus is to re-review the Fury X or 390X I think that it should be done when DX12 is out and there are games that support it.

This. I wouldn't bother re-testing just for a driver update. For all we know the following driver will make it yet even better.

As it stands though? Just go look at the AMD Fury (non X) or the AMD Fury X CrossFire reviews from PcPer. They use that latest driver and they show  some decent results.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Sapphire-Radeon-R9-Fury-4GB-Review-CrossFire-Results

and

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Fury-X-vs-NVIDIA-GTX-980-Ti-2-and-3-Way-Multi-GPU-Performance

Yeah true, but that's essentially every PC hardware review in history... that or "hey this driver cheats on Quake III Arena and doesn't actually do trilinear filtering to achieve higher framerates!" Luckily these days that's no longer a practice I've seen so at least AMD and NVIDIA are more honest than in the past, especially with 3DMark benchmarks. :P

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

I just ran 3DMark FireStrike and the new drivers increased the score by ~500 points overall (~700 points increase on Graphics), I haven't tested it in any games yet but my games were running well before the update so.....yea....

Blood-Box (Current) - 4790K @ 4.4GHz 1.175v | MSI Z97M GamingMSI R9 290 TF | 16GB ADATA XPG v1.0 CL9 | patiently waiting on the CoolerMaster MasterCase Pro 3 | Corsair RM650 | Noctua NH-U12S | OCZ Vertex 460 240GB SSD | Seagate 2TB HDD

Feishi (Gift to my bro) - 4770K @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte Z87 UD5H | Gigabyte GTX 760 WFx3 2.0 | 16GB Patriot Viper 3 CL9 | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Corsair AX750 | Noctua NH-C14 | Seagate 2TB HDD

I am sure his first fury x review won't be his last. I wouldn't worry to much because I have no doubt he will try the air cooled cards that will be coming.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

I just rlly wanna see Linus do a 390 v 970 showdown like Jay did happy.png

I mean, if Jay already did it, don't you have your results? They might have different methodology, but it's pretty much the same results. Linus using a 390 won't make it magically 5 FPS more. Well, actually he's in Canada where it's colder, so I suppose that could maybe change results a bit, but it's like asking for him to put 32gb into a brix again (plsno). It's the same.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

Yeah im not trying to overthink it just more so saying dropping it 2 feet isn't going to really break it giving 2 easy examples out of the huge amount of why.