AMD vs Nvidia extra features

nims0c
Go to solution Solved by MageTank,

What extra features can one take advantage of as an AMD or Nvidia GPU customer? For example, FreeSync vs G-Sync, VSR vs DSR, Nvidia Gamestream(?), Nvidia GRID(?), etc.

Let's start with AMD. 

With AMD, you have access to the following features:

• Virtual Super Resolution (VSR)
  • AMD FreeSync
  • AMD LiquidVR
  • AMD PowerTune
  • AMD TrueAudio
  • AMD EyeFinity
  • AMD Crossfire
  • TressFX

Now, Nvidia has features that are very similar to each AMD feature listed above. Here is the following list:

• Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR)
  • Nvidia G-Sync
  • GameWorksVR
  • GPU Boost
  • Nvidia Surround
  • Nvidia SLI
  • PhysX
  • Nvidia Gamestream/Shadowplay
  • Gameworks

Notable comparisons are DSR and VSR, which are pretty much the same thing. Pound for pound, G-Sync and Freesync operate under the same concept, which is to remove tearing without causing too much input lag. Both companies have their own VR tech, both have means of controlling the clock speeds of their GPU's. Both companies offer the ability to have surround monitors, and both have multi GPU technologies. Both have their own way of going about physics.

What sets Nvidia apart from AMD is two specific technologies. Some people like them, others do not. Let's start with the elephant in the room, Nvidia Gameworks. This is a double edged sword for Nvidia, and everyone that uses it. While Nvidia is claiming to be pushing developers into producing higher quality games and are offering their own support in doing so, others view it as Nvidia trying to get developers in their pocket, potentially harming competitors such as AMD. It does not help that Gameworks titles tend to run sloppy on AMD. This is a debate for another thread though.

Lastly, we have Nvidia Gamestreaming. Nvidia has been pushing this concept for a few years now, and user results may very. For myself, i found gamestreaming to be a love-hate relationship. When it works, it is great. When it does not, it is absolutely frustrating. Sadly, in my personal experience, i have found that having an enjoyable experience on it is a crap shoot, and the requirements for a great experience is already high enough. Even with gamestreaming approved hardware, i still get dropped connections, compressed image quality, and even terrible input delay. The fact that any Geforce Driver update, or Geforce Experience update can also have a huge impact on whether or not streaming will even work also makes the concept hard to swallow. Nvidia's GFE software is very hit and miss. While some find it useful thanks to the Nvidia Shadowplay offering, others despise it for its shoddy gamestreaming experience, and general bloat feel. After trying to make it work for over a year, i just recently threw my Nvidia Shield on ebay, because i got tired of messing with it. This is not to say you will have the same issues as i did, because i know some people praise it (@LinusTech has been vocal about his love of Gamestreaming, and the shield in general). I would just say that if you are buying an Nvidia GPU with game streaming in mind, just be mindful of the limitations you may experience because of how new and unrefined the technology is.

That being said, both AMD and Nvidia produce graphics cards with H.264 decoders on them. AMD's decoder is referred to as VCE or Video Coding Engine, while Nvidia's is referred to as NVENC. 

While these technologies are capable of swaying ones decision on buying a GPU, i would highly recommend you aim for the best price:performance of these options. Especially if you just care about general gaming. If you have a need for one of these specific technologies, then yes, feel free to base your decision on that fact. However, you may not be getting the best bang for your buck if you do. Sorry for the long wall of text, it is just difficult to explain these differences in a simple manner without offering some backstory to how they work.

What extra features can one take advantage of as an AMD or Nvidia GPU customer? For example, FreeSync vs G-Sync, VSR vs DSR, Nvidia Gamestream(?), Nvidia GRID(?), etc.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

You have PhysX for Nvidia and TressFX for AMD

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Nvidia game works / game ready drivers.

i7 4770k/Maximus VII Hero/Titan X/ 500gb 850evox2 r0/1000 EVGA G2

AMD's GPU Video (GameDVR) capture is limited to certain games they list in their app or have compatibility with...

Shadowplay can be used for all games, does not need an official stamp of approval or anything...

This was the deal breaker for me.

Multi-GPU Drivers being ready upon release (or closeby) is another factor for SLI/Crossfire users, AMD tend to be behind the 8-ball here.

This is a deal breaker for MANY.

Other than that, I've had great experiences with both camps, both control panels, have used both DSR and VSR, they are pretty much the same at the end of the day in regards to how it looks, just enabled/used in different ways, and have no complaints with either of their methods.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

AMD: Freesync, Tress FX (very much not prevalent), Mantle (discontinued), AMD DVR (their recording software)

Nvidia: PhysX (not that prevalent), GSync, Nvidia streaming (to a Shield device), DSR, shadowplay

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

AMD's GPU Video (GameDVR) capture is limited to certain games they list in their app or have compatibility with...

Shadowplay can be used for all games, does not need an official stamp of approval or anything...

This was the deal breaker for me.

I've gotten it to work in all my games. Same with Shadowplay, just takes some tinkering. But you can't use it with games that are running Mantel API.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

I tinkered for hours,.. it just wouldn't work..

Tried many driver sets alongside the Gaming Evolved app, still no go...

Shadowplay was flawless and worked out of the box as intended.

/Just my first hand experience on day 1-3 before I gave up and bought a capture card for my AMD GPU system.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I use shadowplay every day, it works perfectly

almost 0 performance drop while recording

Also I find geforce experience very convenient since I just click a button and 2 minutes later my drivers are updated

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The biggest one is probably going to be NVIDIA GameWorks, IMO. Also, NVIDIA is MUCH better & faster about giving you drivers to fix and/or improve performance. They also have GameReady Drivers which are released prior to Triple A title games coming out.

As far as AMD goes, honestly.. Much of what they had is kind of becoming irrelevant (unfortunately) in one way or another; for example, Mantle. But if I had to say one, I would say FreeSync. (Although NVIDIA also has GSync..)

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

I'm by no means a fan boy of nvidia, but you have to hand it to them, nvidia experience is great, shadow play is fantastic, physx.. well nobody cares about that but hey hey its suposed to be better than tressfx

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

Multi-GPU Drivers being ready upon release (or closeby) is another factor for SLI/Crossfire users, AMD tend to be behind the 8-ball here.

This is a deal breaker for MANY.

Other than that, I've had great experiences with both camps, both control panels, have used both DSR and VSR, they are pretty much the same at the end of the day in regards to how it looks, just enabled/used in different ways, and have no complaints with either of their methods.

just going to correct you here

AMD is really quick with crude CF profiles. They work, but not very well. Within a month or so they generally release more efficient drivers, and scaling becomes really good.

ive been running 2x 7950 in CF for 3 years, and recently (around late march) i bought a 295x2 on sale.... 3 years and 3 months of CF usage in new and old games.... Yes they drop the ball sometimes, but atleast they scale WAY better then SLI has done for years, and after Nvidia made fun of them, have less frame timing issues then SLI too....

As for Gameworks... It is a gimmic people use to explain trivial stuff.

The real "killer" isnt gameworks, its tesselation. Nvidia knows AMD sucks at it (albeit recently, AMD did improve their geometry engines a notable bit in the Fury X and also optimized their 300 series cards). So naturally, Gameworks titles just relies heavily on tesselation. Nvidia doesnt need to add ninja codes, dump enough tesselation into the mix and AMD suffers simply from their own architecture and engine system. On the other hand, set an AMD card to do raw compute power (AMD titles do more compute related functions, so Nvidia does well in those, but not for the reasons you may think).

@MrYurly

AMD is darn slow with their Omega drivers (super stable). But their beta drivers, which ive been using for little over 3 YEARS (all of which has been with a CF setup of some sort), comes out right before, or within the first week of a new game launch. Sure, it would be nice if ALL the drivers released ahead of the game, but their first driver for a game is usually pretty solid for a "beta" driver.... To this date, ive only had 5 hickups with beta drivers. Most of these were resolved within 2 weeks of the driver being published. More then i can say about Nvidia which used 2 months and 2-3 patches to fix ONE error. In the process of "fixing" they just kept making it worse, and the Nvidia driver was supposed to be a stable driver, not a beta one from what i can gather..... THAT is just embarrasing.

So, AMD drivers vs Nvidia drivers.... Their the same.... Nvidia does have a slight edge due to their utilization of certain liberaries to speed things up, but these liberaries are standardized systems used within DX. So i see no reason why AMD hasnt added them yet. Perhaps they will, and once they do, there wont be any real difference between the two companies drivers to speak of.

I'm by no means a fan boy of nvidia, but you have to hand it to them, nvidia experience is great, shadow play is fantastic, physx.. well nobody cares about that but hey hey its suposed to be better than tressfx

To be honest, PhysX is a concept that was good, but has turned into a joke.... Take Havoc Physics. Purely CPU bound, software driven physics engine, it beats both TressFX and PhysX effortlessly. Even Dice's Frostbite 3 engine has better a better physics system then PhysX can produce....

Nvidia should make PhysX open source. It is the only way to profit from it in any real way. Perhaps reserve the right to certain functions, or only sell "premade" chipsets that can be intergrated onto a PCB, but not tampered with (so that you can say, buy special versions of a AMD or Intel motherboard with onboard physics module...)

If they did that, they could milk more money out of consumers (special board with special Nvidia stuff.... gotta have a royalty on that), but they could also sell PhysX as a real product. Perhaps even make it a industry standard for calculating and rendering physics systems.

Both has good just look up each and see what you like! ;)

Lake-V-X6-10600 (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9190pts | R23 score SC: 1302pts

R20 score MC: 3529cb | R20 score SC: 506cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: Intel Core i5-10600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.4/4.8GHz, 13,5MB cache (Intel 14nm++ FinFET) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B460 PLUS, Socket-LGA1200 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W / RAM A1, A2, B1 & B2: DDR4-2666MHz CL13-15-15-15-35-1T "Samsung 8Gbit C-Die" (4x8GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Storage 5: Crucial P1 1000GB M.2 SSD/ Storage 6: Western Digital WD7500BPKX 2.5" HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter (Qualcomm Atheros)

Zen-II-X6-3600+ (Gaming PC)

R23 score MC: 9893pts | R23 score SC: 1248pts @4.2GHz

R23 score MC: 10151pts | R23 score SC: 1287pts @4.3GHz

R20 score MC: 3688cb | R20 score SC: 489cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, 6-cores, 12-threads, 4.2/4.2GHz, 35MB cache (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Display: HP 24" L2445w (64Hz OC) 1920x1200 / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: ASUS Radeon RX 6600 XT DUAL OC RDNA2 32CUs @2607MHz (T.S.M.C. 7nm FinFET) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4, Socket-AM4 / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W / RAM A2 & B2: DDR4-3600MHz CL16-18-8-19-37-1T "SK Hynix 8Gbit CJR" (2x16GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1 & 2: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD / Storage 3: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 4: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Storage 5: Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 NVME SSD / Wi-fi & Bluetooth: ASUS PCE-AC55BT Wireless Adapter (Intel)

Vishera-X8-9370 | R20 score MC: 1476cb

Spoiler

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Black / Case Fan(s) Front: Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140mm Premium Fans / Case Fan(s) Rear: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (red) / Case Fan(s) Side: Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX 60mm Premium Fan / Case Fan VRM: SUNON MagLev KDE1209PTV3 92mm / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo / CPU: AMD FX-8370 (Base: @4.4GHz | Turbo: @4.7GHz) Black Edition Eight-Core (Global Foundries 32nm) / Display: ASUS 24" LED VN247H (67Hz OC) 1920x1080p / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX Vega 56 Gaming OC @1501MHz (Samsung 14nm FinFET) / Keyboard: Logitech Desktop K120 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI 970 GAMING, Socket-AM3+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 850W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866MHz CL8-10-10-28-37-2T (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Windows 10 Home / Sound: Zombee Z300 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Seagate® Barracuda 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Seagate® Desktop 2TB SSHD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN951N 11n Wireless Adapter

Godavari-X4-880K | R20 score MC: 810cb

Spoiler

Case: Medion Micro-ATX Case / Case Fan Front: SUNON MagLev PF70251VX-Q000-S99 70mm / Case Fan Rear: Fanner Tech(Shen Zhen)Co.,LTD. 80mm (Purple) / Controller: Sony Dualshock 4 Wireless (DS4Windows) / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 95w Thermal Solution / Cooler: AMD Near-silent 125w Thermal Solution / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K Black Edition Elite Quad-Core (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Display: HP 19" Flat Panel L1940 (75Hz) 1280x1024 / GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC 2GB (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GD5 OC "Afterburner" @1450MHz (T.S.M.C. 28nm) / Keyboard: HP KB-0316 PS/2 (Nordic) / Motherboard: MSI A78M-E45 V2, Socket-FM2+ / Mouse: Razer Abyssus 2014 / PCI-E: ASRock USB 3.1/A+C (PCI Express x4) / PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2, 550W PSU / RAM 1, 2, 3 & 4: SK hynix DDR3-1866MHz CL9-10-11-27-40 (4x4GB) 16.38GB / Operating System 1: Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) / Operating System 2: Windows 10 Home / Sound 1: Zombee Z500 / Sound 2: Logitech Stereo Speakers S-150 / Storage 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (x2) / Storage 2: Western Digital My Passport 2.5" 2TB HDD / Storage 3: Western Digital Elements Desktop 2TB HDD / Wi-fi: TP-Link TL-WN851N 11n Wireless Adapter

Acer Aspire 7738G custom (changed CPU, GPU & Storage)
Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600, 2-cores, 2-threads, 2.4GHz, 3MB cache (Intel 45nm) / GPU: ATi Radeon HD 4570 515MB DDR2 (T.S.M.C. 55nm) / RAM: DDR2-1066MHz CL7-7-7-20-1T (2x2GB) / Operating System: Windows 10 Home / Storage: Crucial BX500 480GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5" SSD

Complete portable device SoC history:

Spoiler
Apple A4 - Apple iPod touch (4th generation)
Apple A5 - Apple iPod touch (5th generation)
Apple A9 - Apple iPhone 6s Plus
HiSilicon Kirin 810 (T.S.M.C. 7nm) - Huawei P40 Lite / Huawei nova 7i
Mediatek MT2601 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TicWatch E
Mediatek MT6580 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - TECNO Spark 2 (1GB RAM)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (orange)
Mediatek MT6592M (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone my32 (yellow)
Mediatek MT6735 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - HMD Nokia 3 Dual SIM
Mediatek MT6737 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - Cherry Mobile Flare S6
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (blue)
Mediatek MT6739 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - my|phone myX8 (gold)
Mediatek MT6750 (T.S.M.C 28nm) - honor 6C Pro / honor V9 Play
Mediatek MT6765 (T.S.M.C 12nm) - TECNO Pouvoir 3 Plus
Mediatek MT6797D (T.S.M.C 20nm) - my|phone Brown Tab 1
Qualcomm MSM8926 (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE
Qualcomm MSM8974AA (T.S.M.C. 28nm) - Blackberry Passport
Qualcomm SDM710 (Samsung 10nm) - Oppo Realme 3 Pro

Let's start with AMD. 

With AMD, you have access to the following features:

• Virtual Super Resolution (VSR)
  • AMD FreeSync
  • AMD LiquidVR
  • AMD PowerTune
  • AMD TrueAudio
  • AMD EyeFinity
  • AMD Crossfire
  • TressFX

Now, Nvidia has features that are very similar to each AMD feature listed above. Here is the following list:

• Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR)
  • Nvidia G-Sync
  • GameWorksVR
  • GPU Boost
  • Nvidia Surround
  • Nvidia SLI
  • PhysX
  • Nvidia Gamestream/Shadowplay
  • Gameworks

Notable comparisons are DSR and VSR, which are pretty much the same thing. Pound for pound, G-Sync and Freesync operate under the same concept, which is to remove tearing without causing too much input lag. Both companies have their own VR tech, both have means of controlling the clock speeds of their GPU's. Both companies offer the ability to have surround monitors, and both have multi GPU technologies. Both have their own way of going about physics.

What sets Nvidia apart from AMD is two specific technologies. Some people like them, others do not. Let's start with the elephant in the room, Nvidia Gameworks. This is a double edged sword for Nvidia, and everyone that uses it. While Nvidia is claiming to be pushing developers into producing higher quality games and are offering their own support in doing so, others view it as Nvidia trying to get developers in their pocket, potentially harming competitors such as AMD. It does not help that Gameworks titles tend to run sloppy on AMD. This is a debate for another thread though.

Lastly, we have Nvidia Gamestreaming. Nvidia has been pushing this concept for a few years now, and user results may very. For myself, i found gamestreaming to be a love-hate relationship. When it works, it is great. When it does not, it is absolutely frustrating. Sadly, in my personal experience, i have found that having an enjoyable experience on it is a crap shoot, and the requirements for a great experience is already high enough. Even with gamestreaming approved hardware, i still get dropped connections, compressed image quality, and even terrible input delay. The fact that any Geforce Driver update, or Geforce Experience update can also have a huge impact on whether or not streaming will even work also makes the concept hard to swallow. Nvidia's GFE software is very hit and miss. While some find it useful thanks to the Nvidia Shadowplay offering, others despise it for its shoddy gamestreaming experience, and general bloat feel. After trying to make it work for over a year, i just recently threw my Nvidia Shield on ebay, because i got tired of messing with it. This is not to say you will have the same issues as i did, because i know some people praise it (@LinusTech has been vocal about his love of Gamestreaming, and the shield in general). I would just say that if you are buying an Nvidia GPU with game streaming in mind, just be mindful of the limitations you may experience because of how new and unrefined the technology is.

That being said, both AMD and Nvidia produce graphics cards with H.264 decoders on them. AMD's decoder is referred to as VCE or Video Coding Engine, while Nvidia's is referred to as NVENC. 

While these technologies are capable of swaying ones decision on buying a GPU, i would highly recommend you aim for the best price:performance of these options. Especially if you just care about general gaming. If you have a need for one of these specific technologies, then yes, feel free to base your decision on that fact. However, you may not be getting the best bang for your buck if you do. Sorry for the long wall of text, it is just difficult to explain these differences in a simple manner without offering some backstory to how they work.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

-snip-

I don't mind long posts. Yours was very information and I appreciate that.

I realize now that there isn't a particular technology that I need from one team or the other. As you suggest, I'm going to base my decision on price:performance. I'm going to look out for new R9 390 variants and see how they stack up against existing GTX 970 offerings.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

I don't mind long posts. Yours was very information and I appreciate that.

I realize now that there isn't a particular technology that I need from one team or the other. As you suggest, I'm going to base my decision on price:performance. I'm going to look out for new R9 390 variants and see how they stack up against existing GTX 970 offerings.

both have useless features imo

nvidia is a bit better features wise