Firm selling malware to governments gets hacked, internal e-mails, files and source code published

The Italian company Hacking Team, which has been developing and selling malware to governments that want to spy on their people, but can't manage to roll their own has been hacked and 400GB worth of internal communications and the source code for the malware has been published via a torrent.

The hackers announced this from the company's twitter account, which continues to quip about the incompetency of the firm's employees.

EDIT: The company has since regained control of their twitter account and removed the tweets, but there are archives of the defaced account.

EDIT2: Motherboard says the company has warned all their customers to stop using their software as each copy is watermarked and the backdoors they create could be traced to individual customers.

post-75028-0-78499700-1436173788.png

post-75028-0-45580400-1436169472.png

post-75028-0-00092200-1436170228.png

Personally I haven't downloaded the torrent of course, cause that's probably illegal, but it's nice to see karma at work. That and Anti-virus makers will undoubtedly make good use of this, hopefully uncovering more data about how the countries actually use the malware.

Article on Motherboard

2nd Motherboard article

Article on The Register

Hahaha...

Oh the karma.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

goverment:"malware and otehr types of software that help you get acces to the system of someone else should be forbidden and illegal.

-after this and all the NSA BS-

that's for your own safety!

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

This is good. Very good. I hope we get some nice dirty information out of this. And even more important, that all the anti malware companies update their databases with this malware.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

They absolutely deserved this.

Edit: Anyways, as the saying goes curiosity killed the cat, so if any of use randomly disappear from the internet the rest of us will at least know why :P Although personally I'm hoping that enough people are going to download the torrent that they won't be able to go after any of the people that download it without either going broke or generating mass dissent. Also remember it's not illegal until you actually view it, at least according to the NSA :D

it's not illegal until you actually view it, at least according to the NSA :D

Heh, that's a good point. Although I'm not sure that argument holds up when it's mere citizens making it.

That is seriously funny.

I loved the "since we have nothing to hide" tweet.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

goverment:"malware and otehr types of software that help you get acces to the system of someone else should be forbidden and illegal.

-after this and all the NSA BS-

that's for your own safety!

"except us of course, because all governments are trustworthy and above abusing their power for their own selfish gain"

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

-Le stupid Image-

LEPc73B.jpg

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Anti-virus makers will undoubtedly make good use of this, hopefully uncovering more data about how the countries actually use the malware.

Provided they aren't already deliberately making their antivirus software overlook said government maleware. /tinfoilhat

-what looks to be some asian dude-

thx bud

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

thx bud

>not knowing papa franku

@Salty

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

They absolutely deserved this.

Edit: Anyways, as the saying goes curiosity killed the cat, so if any of use randomly disappear from the internet the rest of us will at least know why :P Although personally I'm hoping that enough people are going to download the torrent that they won't be able to go after any of the people that download it without either going broke or generating mass dissent. Also remember it's not illegal until you actually view it, at least according to the NSA :D

Not in the USA-so meh, fuck them.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Why don't I have 500GB of free space lol.

Oh man, this news made my day.

post-8310-0-56773600-1436216430.gif

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

get rekt hacked

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

I bet this is their security protocol.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

You know, I'm tempted to switch from my month to month plan to a contract-the same $50 a month except I get an extra 400GB added to my quota-I'm going to have trouble finding the space though.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

• 3 weeks later...

I bet this is their security protocol.

that video is gold

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3