Russian parliament votes to adopt controversial privacy law (Via AP)

13CA350

MOSCOW (AP) — Lawmakers in the Russian parliament on Friday voted for a bill forcing online search engines to remove search results about a specific person at that person's request.

The Russian State Duma voted overwhelmingly for the controversial law that critics say could be used to block information critical of the government or government officials. Though similar to one recently adopted by the European Union, the Russian law is more sweeping, extending the right of removal to public figures and information that is considered in the public interest.

Under the new law, a person can request that search engines like Google remove the search results of their name if the information about them is "no longer relevant" without specifying which links they want removed.

This is pretty cool actually. I might actually start to use their largest search engine, Yandex, just to try and filter out results

ORIGINAL LINK: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/58c23b6385814d63935a9b6e9e0b6e7a/russian-parliament-votes-adopt-controversial-privacy-law

not cool at all....

It's in Russia though so what do we care when it starts coming closer to Britain I'll start worrying.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

So they know what you'll be searching for and block it ... Okay then ...

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

It's in Russia though so what do we care when it starts coming closer to Britain I'll start worrying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m30dOkvCnq0

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

snip

sure but If I lived in Russia I'd be more worried about making it home from a trip to the shops in my car.

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

this is censorship and an attack on free speech.

I don't like shit like this, but this is Russia after all, and they are psychologically different. Most Russians would prefer a dictatorship over unpredictable forms of government which is quite sad. 

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Russia passing a controversial law is practically normal at this point.

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

any one else feel another cold war coming

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

any one else feel another cold war coming

It already started, you know when the US/UN kinda sunk the RU economy with sanctions and all.

Mass surveillance is pretty much the same but nobody cares.

Yeah this law is fishy.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

So a person can have his private information made harder to find on the internet by asking?  I don't understand why this is "controversial"...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I don't like shit like this, but this is Russia after all, and they are psychologically different. Most Russians would prefer a dictatorship over unpredictable forms of government which is quite sad. 

Well in all fairness none of us no what it's like to live under communism the concept really is a great one it has the means to bring true equality it really could work if humans weren't so s**t. In this day and age where everything is run by the internet communism seams more and more achievable everyone is already posting there opinions so we may as well do something with them instead of letting hyped up rich boys and girls bumble about making decisions purely for PR so they can get re elected at the next vote. Politics is just a big fashion show these days that's why I try to stay out of it because it's doomed to fail.  not that I'm particularly pro communism or anything, I'm really not I don't think people are capable of doing anything that would benefit the country as a whole when they have the choice to line their own pockets.

Wow that escalated quickly... sorry I don't do politics but when I do I tend to get pretty deep in to it :P  

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

So a person can have his private information made harder to find on the internet by asking?  I don't understand why this is "controversial"...

because in Russia this will include public officials, and its not  just private information, it's that Google wont return any results as relevant.  its basically means you wont be able to use Google  to look up any stories about shady dealings of public officials in Russia.  its basically turning Russian google into something more like china's version of it.

Id prefer a world where NOONE has any privacy and the internet is 100% unregulated, uninterrupted and remembers EVERYTHING.

And is on-demand available for free to everyone on the planet.

Well in all fairness none of us no what it's like to live under communism the concept really is a great one it has the means to bring true equality it really could work...

........... lol

Well in all fairness none of us no what it's like to live under communism the concept really is a great one it has the means to bring true equality it really could work if humans weren't so s**t.

So... it could work for humans if we ripped out a good chunk of what makes us human? Got it.

I don't do signatures.

So... it could work for humans if we ripped out a good chunk of what makes us human? Got it.

so you think the human inability communicate and reason with each other for the greater good is a positive aspect of human nature. but yeah basically humans suck and could do with having a whole bunch of traits taken out and burned with fire :P do you not agree that humans are pretty sucky by nature and that most of are years are spent trying to eradicate intolerances between people who are all essentially the same. There are all sorts of boundaries that humans use to treat people differently money, race, religion, country, education, attractiveness and so on people are always going to find reasons to dislike each other.

Any way I'm going to go off and hug some trees. 

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

all political and economic theories rely on human beings making rational decisions, not emotional ones

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Wow, never expected to see so much hatered to my country on a tech forum...