Is pc gaming really the best solution for gaming ?

karimhasebou

PC gaming is the best kind of gaming. When I get bored of playing PC games, I just emulate console games and downsample them from 5K because reasons.

i7-5820K | GTX 980 Ti

PC is generally my preferred way to play but I regularly buy consoles and handheld game systems for exclusives. I like a little of everything. I would probably say PC gaming is the only gaming if I was an FPS player, but that genre is so half-baked I would never even consider building a PC OR buying a console if your goal is just to play some competitive pewpew. Not worth. There are too many other amazing kinds of games out there on PC and console alike.

Git Gud.

PC

• Upgradable
  • Higher graphic fidelity
  • Higher framerate
  • Larger selection of games / backwards compatibility
  • Mods
  • No subscriptions (Unless of course it's an MMO)
  • More bang for your buck
  • Steam and Galaxy sales

Console

• Controller is more comfy (Despite PC can use controller most PC games don't have aim assist to make it even worth it)
  • Don't have to know how to assemble a computer
  • Some really epic tier exclusives like Halo
  • More comfortable to play on in general
  • Can order my Xbox One around like my personal bitch boy
  • Can double as a multi-media PC to stream netflix and such on the living room TV 

finally someone who just thinks critically instead of just shouting pc master race or consoles ftw

finally someone who just thinks critically instead of just shouting pc master race or consoles ftw

Because I grew up on consoles, met all of my closest friends of 10 years on them, and generally didn't do too much non-mmo PC gaming until within the last year. I also just don't give a shit and would rather contribute coherent thoughts.

Knowledge is power, guard it well.

Steam | Twitch | YT | Build

Well.... I believe that console and PC have console have their places. In terms of quality of gaming especially graphically... PC hands down

pro if something in a pc game breaks alot of the time you can fix it yourself. good luck doing that on console. Forza ive had multiple situations where the games have just gone noooooooooope fuck you & all you can do is hope for a patch that may never come.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I play console and PC more or less an equal amount of time, and it wasn't until a few years ago that I got into PC gaming anyway.

As far as I'm concerned, gaming on one is like gaming on the other - fun, enjoyable, and entirely dependent on the game that's being played.

In my experience, I've had fewer issues with consoles than I have had with PC, with only having one console ever go bad (my satin silver PS2) because someone had the oh-so-bright idea to tamper with the laser in the disc drive (I have no involvement there).

I have, however, had a bizarre number of issues with some games on PC, with games like The Evil Within being practically unplayable on my desktop, Wolfenstein: TNO being the first game I had to update Catalyst for (BSoD game too stronk, idTech5 pls nerf), and Max Payne 2 not even working at all, meaning I have to play it on my laptop.

In regards to online services, GOG is love, GOG is life. Steam's good and all, but it's bloated with so much crap that you need fishing overalls to dredge through the murky rivers of Steam's bargain basement. GOG is clean, has a large library of old games that work on newer hardware (mostly, at least; Shogo: MAD is a bit of a bitch in that regard), and...let's be honest...CD Projekt are based. Love those guys.

On the console side of things......eh. You have Nintendo Network which is really weak and is pretty much one of the most basic services you can use nowadays. There's also PlayStation Network and Xbox Live, where...well, they work. That's unless some jerkwads get the oh-so-amazing idea of DDoSing them on Christmas Day because some people don't have souls. I guess that's the biggest problem; they're fragile networks, especially PSN. It's alarmingly easy to compromise, simply because Sony don't give a shit about security.

As for the games on the systems...well, that's down to you and what you want from the games.

Objectively, PC gaming is simply better, due to being able to do much more, is more versatile, has an overall larger install base, and in terms of graphics is significantly more good looking.

Subjectively, however......I'm on neither side of the fence. Like I say, I play games on both very often, so me picking one or the other would be somewhat stupid. Each side has games I love, games I loathe, features I use and things I simply don't care about.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

lol That reminds me of a glitch I ran into in Ninja Gaiden Sigma.  Bashed a ninja with Rachel's war hammer, and the gun glitched into her crotch.  So, she ran around with a crotch canon.  xD

sadly my forza glitches were less of the amusing kind and more of the im not working, go fuck yourself kind.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

The original Forza was okay, but there was only one race that wasn't a problem.  Which is the Super Speedway rip-off track.

i didnt encounter bugs in 1 2/3/4 I have encountered pretty damn major ones. 5 I havent found any yet

System Specs

PC is the objectively the best option, but it's not automatically the most desired option.

Setting up a PC is NOT "simple and easy". You have to do some research, then make a build, then order all the parts, then put it together and make sure it's working right. A console is just plug in it in and you're good to go. Sure, it's not rocket science or anything like that, but it takes time and effort, not everyone has the interest or patience to do it.

As long as you're entertained, it doesn't matter what you're playing on.

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

Eh, maybe I got a bad copy then.  On all races but the circle track my cars randomly spin out.   Then again I did use random game saves off an action replay, so maybe some form of corruption happened.  So, that's probably my fault.

ya id say that was more likely lol, I only rented FM1 but I put alot of time and did alot of races online in the lower teir class, either you are a very bad drivers and left traction control off or the save was tampered with xD

System Specs

I'll give you my honest answer.

Most games I've played on PC always work without much issue. There are a few, mostly old, but sometimes new, games that just refuse to work unless you tweak/edit them a bit.

I see you mentioned exclusives, well most console exclusives IMO suck now. Most of the game series are so over produced that it degrades the quality of the game and makes for a rather poor experience. For example, I'm a huge Halo fan, but Halo Reach/4 completely ruined the series for me due to additions of some features. This series is now dead to me until they port MCC over to PC. Another example is Gears of War, by the time GoW3 came out the series just died due to lack of new content and addition of features that simplified the game too much.

I don't play Playstation games, so I would understand you liking those exclusives, but I never found the appeal of those games. However I do enjoy a lot of PC exclusive games like Civilization and Counter Strike. There are a lot of great PC games out there that have replaced my old game interests.

There are just so many more options for PC gamers that I don't see the point in buying a console nowadays unless you're a die hard fan of a particular series like; Metal Gear Solid, Kingdom Hearts, Uncharted, Ratchet & Clank, etc. I've never played any of these games and don't plan on ever experiencing these games because I don't see the point in buying one to two consoles just to play the series from start to finish. I don't want to jump into MGS4 on PS3 when I never played MGS 1, 2, or 3. I don't want to get a PS4 so I can play Kingdom Hearts 3 when I never played 1 or 2, or any of the other PSP spin-offs that all have story that I don't know about.

If I could buy MGS 1-4 on Steam and play through them then I might be inclined to buy a PS4 to continue the series, but that is never going to happen because Sony relies on their exclusives to sell their consoles. No skin off my back, but it sucks when I can't experience and enjoy a series just like someone else just because I don't have the money to shell out for a whole console and games when I don't even know if I'll enjoy it.

I switched from last gen consoles to a pc so i can enjoy titles such as witcher 3, assassin's creed and shadow of mordor thinking that high fps and resolution are the only factors that matter. I found that the transition was far from seamless with games failing to work because of missing files and more problems. This lead me to think what are the benefits of console and pc gaming. what are the benifits of each in your opinion ? (am just interested in seeing everyone's opinion, please don't take it personally as an attack on pc or consoles.)

Here are my thoughs:

Pc 

• having a powerful machine is nice in terms of having the option to do several other tasks other than gaming
  • having the opportunity to upgrade the hardware so i  can enjoy the latest titles in high res and fps
  • experience of building a machine is a joy in itself

Console:

• games work directly without having to search for missing files and so on
  • games are highy optimized for the hardmare meaning that with low console specs some great milestones can be reached (Last of us)
  • (Highly subjective) consoles offer more and better exclusives for the genre of games i play 

I played on consoles untill recently, i got a "gaming ish" laptop, then i started playing SWTOR, which i really enjoyed, decided to buy a real gaming rig, and i still play SWTOR, i mostly play indie games like ARK, Rust, H1Z1, DayZ etc on my PC. While i have an Xbox One for the console exclusives, for someone who really doesent care about any of the PC exclusives, they should just stick with a console, as a console gamer i did not notice fps, nor did i care, the game was fun to play. The ONLY reason i play PC & Consoles is beacuse of the exclusives on both sides. Some people arent tech enthusiasts and just want to play the game, they dont want to care about which late graphics card they have in their machine, they DONT want to have to disable firewalls, they dont want to go into the game folder and find out why their game isnt working, they just want to play it. + console gamers dont suffer from the same degree of cheating as PC gamers. On the plus side, 1 thing that really sells PC for me is modding, i remeber playing Saints Row 2 on my Xbox 360 years ago, i always wanted to play as this "Ultor Masako" a kind of swat like npc, stupid yes, i know, but when i got a PC, i bought the game through steam, and just modded it, finally i was able to play as the character i always wished i could play as on the console xD

I never really enjoyed console gaming with my PS3 and Xbox 360. It felt so constraining, not being able to adjust graphical settings in games is a real pain the the ass.

When I first got my PS3, I found myself on my old IBM Thinkpad playing Medal of Honor Allied Assault at 20 FPS more than playing games on the console. Then when I got a new laptop, I still preferred it over both my consoles because of the PC exclusives. I never cared for the PS3 exclusives and there was only one exclusive on Xbox that I actually liked, so it wasn't worth it at all for me.

I'm not even the only one who is like this either. Looking at the statistics of hardware that people typically use on Steam, it's mostly integrated graphics that people use. Yet somehow people prefer that over a console. Lots of my friends who play Killing Floor own consoles but never touched them but own a crappy computer and prefer it.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

I was a console gamer for 20 years as my sig will tell you.
I switched last year and to me, pc is a much better gaming solution.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

i keep reading that and for sure pc wins for productivity but as for gaming it has both its pros and cons. Am interested to know what people think of this

What cons are there? I think about this. If there were no consoles and it was just PC, wouldn't all the game be optimized for the PC meaning we wouldn't have that much of a need of a GTX 980?

My Computer

Beef Cake

Intel i5 4690k @ 3.5GHz - EVGA 970 FTW - ASRock Z97 Extreme3 - Kingston HyperX Fury 8Gb 1866MHz - 120GB Samsung Evo - 1TB Toshiba Drive - 320GB Samsung Barracuda - Corsair 500M

I switched from last gen consoles to a pc so i can enjoy titles such as witcher 3, assassin's creed and shadow of mordor thinking that high fps and resolution are the only factors that matter. I found that the transition was far from seamless with games failing to work because of missing files and more problems. This lead me to think what are the benefits of console and pc gaming. what are the benifits of each in your opinion ? (am just interested in seeing everyone's opinion, please don't take it personally as an attack on pc or consoles.)

Here are my thoughs:

Pc 

• having a powerful machine is nice in terms of having the option to do several other tasks other than gaming
  • having the opportunity to upgrade the hardware so i  can enjoy the latest titles in high res and fps
  • experience of building a machine is a joy in itself

Console:

• games work directly without having to search for missing files and so on
  • games are highy optimized for the hardmare meaning that with low console specs some great milestones can be reached (Last of us)
  • (Highly subjective) consoles offer more and better exclusives for the genre of games i play 

OP is a pirate confirmed. What otherwise do you mean by "missing files".

Also I doubt the current gen consoles have more then 10 AAA exclusives worth playing.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Looking at the statistics of hardware that people typically use on Steam, it's mostly integrated graphics that people use. Yet somehow people prefer that over a console. Lots of my friends who play Killing Floor own consoles but never touched them but own a crappy computer and prefer it.

Well duhhh..  steam survey is shit:

1) There are over 150M active steam users, if 10% of them use a 750ti or a r7 260 that's already better then both next-gen consoles.

2) There are A LOT of bots on Steam.

3) There are A LOT of Asian people who to just play Dota 2 and there are a lot of Russians who want to just play CS:GO (any potato can get 60fps in those 2 games)

4) People who own good hardware are smart and don't give Steam so much of their personal data.

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Consoles have exclusive titles like Destiny. *cough*

The only way I see myself playing on a console is just for the games only on console.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

I personally think it is far better to get a game on PC than on console, assuming first that it is well optimized of course. That is the case even if your system is as powerful or less powerful than say a PS4. Why you ask? I recently got The Witcher 3 on PS4, while the game looked really good, the framerate tanked very frequently. On PC titles you get more control to lower texture details to get the framerate you want, and make the compromise you desire. I really hope at some stage consoles get this sort of control to make a similar compromise.

I personally think it is far better to get a game on PC than on console, assuming first that it is well optimized of course. That is the case even if your system is as powerful or less powerful than say a PS4. Why you ask? I recently got The Witcher 3 on PS4, while the game looked really good, the framerate tanked very frequently. On PC titles you get more control to lower texture details to get the framerate you want, and make the compromise you desire. I really hope at some stage consoles get this sort of control to make a similar compromise.

Yeah, in Witcher 3 settings I turn HBAO to off, shadows to low and amount of trees to low I get 30 more FPS. And that's without even changing how the game looks.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

If I had to use a console I would miss:

League of legends

Full minecraft

Keyboard for chat

Mouse

Netflix while gaming

Music while gaming

Silence of my pc

What I think I might gain if I were to use a console:

I might get good at a FPS by using a controller

Soooo... Yah, I DO think pc is the best.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

it depends

If you want to play solo, as in at home by yourself (yes we all know multiplayer exists) then yea PC is great

but I have a brother who also plays.  When we used xbox, All we had to do was plugin another controller and would play splitscreen online

PC split screen games are just very very very limited.

The best solution is the one that offers a solution to your gaming problems/needs

Main PC: 4690k // Z97 // R9 280 3GB // 8gb Ram // CM Elite 430 Case // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Living Room "Console" PC: FX 8350 // 990a SLI Krait // R7 360 // 8gb Ram // HAF 912 // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Future Plans:

find a 2nd monitor at a pawn shop

Sell/giveaway R7 360, move r9 280 into console PC, buy a better GPU for main PC.

it depends

If you want to play solo, as in at home by yourself (yes we all know multiplayer exists) then yea PC is great

but I have a brother who also plays.  When we used xbox, All we had to do was plugin another controller and would play splitscreen online

PC split screen games are just very very very limited.

The best solution is the one that offers a solution to your gaming problems/needs

*facepalm*

My desk&pc are in the living room, and my PC is connected to my 4K TV. So I can both play on couch or at desk.

And PC actually has the most split-screen games of all consoles.

Also why would you want to do splitscreen with your brother instead of using lan or even online?

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

*facepalm*

My desk&pc are in the living room, and my PC is connected to my 4K TV. So I can both play on couch or at desk.

And PC actually has the most split-screen games of all consoles.

Also why would you want to do splitscreen with your brother instead of using lan or even online?

Because I don't have two computers? Simple...

And can you recommend me some good split screen games? I couldn't find any close to the quality of the ones on xbox/PS

Also please don't say a bunch of racing games..  I dont think PC has anywhere close to the split screen games on xbox/PS

Main PC: 4690k // Z97 // R9 280 3GB // 8gb Ram // CM Elite 430 Case // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Living Room "Console" PC: FX 8350 // 990a SLI Krait // R7 360 // 8gb Ram // HAF 912 // 750 EVGA B PSU // 1TB HDD

Future Plans:

find a 2nd monitor at a pawn shop

Sell/giveaway R7 360, move r9 280 into console PC, buy a better GPU for main PC.