Intel's "Cannonlake" delayed, "Kaby Lake" coming next year

Bouzoo

Cannonlake has been delayed to an unknown date, so another line on 14 nm processors are coming, named Kaby Lake. Honestly, Intel's naming scheme is just wow, surprises every time.  :lol:

Intel’s “Kaby Lake” processors will feature two or four cores, a new generation integrated graphics engine, a dual-channel memory controller and up to 256MB of on-package cache to speed up graphics workloads. The new chips will address various segments of the market, including mobile and desktop clients, reports BenchLife. The chips will feature thermal design power starting at 4.5W and up to 91W.

intel_kaby-lake-1024x792.png

Kaby Lake will be compatible with 100 series chipset that Skylake will use.

kaby-lake-s-series-1024x1002.png

kaby-lake-u-and-y-series-1021x1024.png

It's believed this happened due to 10nm being delayed, since it's 14nm again next year, but for now all options are opened. 

Sources: 1, 2, 3

Edited by colonel_mortis
Fixed spoiler

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

256MB on laptop series

holy shit

AMD 860K @ 4.3GHz ; Kingston HyperX Fury 2400MHz ; Asus A88XM-Plus ; Sapphire R9 270X 2GB ; 600W Tacens Radix VII AG 80+Silver  ; Cooler Master TX3 Evo

Who win race to 10nm

Intel obviously, unless Zen turns out to be 10 nm (it's believed to be 14nm), but since current FX's are 32nm (not counting APUs that are 28nm), that is practically impossible.

This has been a thing for the past year...it's only now getting leaked.  So it's not like "oh shit 10nm isn't going to work" was discovered yesterday.

It's the same principle as Devil's Canyon...except applied to Skylake.

And the pronunciation is kaybee lake, not cab-ee lake.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

PCI Express 3.0 x20.

WHAAAAAAAAAAA?

Yeah , a 4 lane upgrade from the current processors that have only 16 lanes in total

There are mobilechip makers planning 10nm next year

Who?

I doubt we will see 10nm in fulltime production next year.

I was talking about desktop CPU manufacturers, haven't noticed you were talking mobile also.

PCI Express 3.0 x20.

WHAAAAAAAAAAA?

My sandy bridge xeon E31270 has 20 lanes(2.0), I'm sure intel is just disabling some lanes for the consumer version.

256mb cache? Are they out of their minds? Whats is it going to be used as? I dont think anyone needs that much cache..

EDIT: Saw it would be used to boost the graphics.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

PCI Express 3.0 x20.

WHAAAAAAAAAAA?

skylake has x20 too

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

256mb cache? Are they out of their minds? Whats is it going to be used as? I dont think anyone needs that much cache..

I remember reading at some point it's on the table to make it shared as L4 cache / graphics memory instead of just dedicated graphics memory.

Workstation:  14700nonK || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 13700K @ Stock || MSI Z690 DDR4 || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3060 RTX Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

PCI Express 3.0 x20.

WHAAAAAAAAAAA?

16 lanes doesn't make a ton of sense anymore with the push going on to move storage to the PCIe bus. 20 lanes allows for 16 lanes to be devoted to a video card while leaving 4 lanes open for M.2 or whatever.

Increasing Cache is always good if latency is not affected

Might be dumping my i7 960 and X58 MoBo sooner than expected; I'm not going to wait another >=12 months to upgrade.

If we start seeing more X99 MoBos with on-board USB 3.1 Type C -- which I hope we do, following the Z97s we've seen -- I'll probably take the leap and upgrade to a 5920K. Suppopse the short-term alternative would be to fork out for the 5930K to compensate with the additional PCIe lanes and possibly an expansion card further down the line...

And neither Samsung nor TSMC will be ready.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Yeah , a 4 lane upgrade from the current processors that have only 16 lanes in total

Off the chipset, not off the CPU. Please read more carefully.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

who says 4 cores are enough? enough for what?

I do. 4 cores are enough. Enough for gaming, browsing, general use, etc. You want more than 4 cores? Stop buying consumer chips, and switch to a workstation/prosumer platform.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.