[Build log] Air 00: Air 240 (shots of completed build!)

Necrodead

2d27gb4.png

Since the components only fit when the glass was on the outside, this is my solution. I've used some filler to build between the glass and the case so when I cover it in vinyl for the third and final time it will look like it was meant to be that way. *This is in progress, more layers of putty and sanding ahead, I know it looks bad now.

2yv2ma8.jpg

2gwe5bb.jpg

As you can see here I've moved my fans to the inside of the radiators, this just gives me more space.

2ef6bs0.jpg

You probably haven't seen the carbon fiber accent I put on the waterblock, so theres that.

312ehkj.jpg

And since someone suggested my res was dinky, I've upgraded to a slightly larger model of the same diameter. :P

4lm45e.jpg

And since someone suggested my res was dinky, I've upgraded to a slightly larger model of the same diameter. :P

lol

2d27gb4.png

Liquid Ultra has arrived, and so de-liding!

rk4xv6.jpg

I used the non-hammer vice method as it was the least destructive. I tried with the razor but I got scared after I noticed I was starting to damage the PCB.

2hyxtab.jpg

Applying thermal paste

2hcp7d1.jpg

And back into the mobo. I didn't glue it back on or anything, although I've seen people do that as well.

2rnc42e.jpg

mm that delid! Love it!

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

Did you put the stock heat sink back on? I'm curious what your temps were after applying the clu paste.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Did you put the stock heat sink back on? I'm curious what your temps were after applying the clu paste.

No I haven't booted with the delid yet. If I find the time I may try, although I just remounted the waterblock because I was bending tubes today and if I get my fittings soon I'm just going to boot on water.

Looks amazing.

Thanks!

I've pretty much finished my window. The gpu waterblock fits now! :cool:

A lot of sanding later...

e8mnip.jpg

masked off and drew my window lines and then cut it out and then

2lw18jr.jpg

Peel off to reveal the window.

1088tnm.jpg

I was also thinking of gluing some screw or bolt heads around the window to make it look like its bolted in.

15naybn.jpg

1z6aeh.jpg

Looking good!

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.8ghz  Motherboard: Gigabyte G1.SNIPER 5 Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Storage: Kingston V300 Series 240GB Storage: Western Digital Red Pro 3TB Video Card: 2x(SLI) Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB DirectCU II @ 1410mhz / 1600mhz Case: Corsair 760T White Power Supply:  AX1200i  Buildlog: [ Build Log ] Black and Green build

• GPU: R9 295x2!
this card will fit on the 240?

I have 1mm of clearance between the front rad and the card. I can't install the card with the ram or res in place and I had to mod my window to make the waterblock fit, but oh yes, it fits.

I have some temps for you with the stock cooler.

Idle temps after 5min idle:

Core0: 23

Core1: 24

Core2: 23

Core3: 22

Package: 25

After 5 minutes of Intel XTU stress testing:(max temp)

Core0: 61

Core1: 64

Core2: 63

Core3: 59

Package: 64

Not sure why but the last core was always 5-6C behind the hottest core. I may have uneven TIM spread, or because the TIM on the IHS is brand new and not cured.

5min after stress test:

Core0: 31

Core1: 32

Core2: 32

Core3: 28

Package: 33

If I may ask do you have similar temp differences across your cores? And is 64C better than normal for stock speeds+heatsink? I didn't do a test beforehand, lol.

I have some temps for you with the stock cooler.

Idle temps after 5min idle:

Core0: 23

Core1: 24

Core2: 23

Core3: 22

Package: 25

After 5 minutes of Intel XTU stress testing:(max temp)

Core0: 61

Core1: 64

Core2: 63

Core3: 59

Package: 64

Not sure why but the last core was always 5-6C behind the hottest core. I may have uneven TIM spread, or because the TIM on the IHS is brand new and not cured.

5min after stress test:

Core0: 31

Core1: 32

Core2: 32

Core3: 28

Package: 33

If I may ask do you have similar temp differences across your cores? And is 64C better than normal for stock speeds+heatsink? I didn't do a test beforehand, lol.

I was having 50-60 with an h100i and a 4790k, so stock cooler 64c under stress test is pretty good!

Spoiler

@Necrodead I don't have the time just at the moment to see if you linked something but did you follow a tutorial for that window? If so, could you link it please?

No sorry, no tutorial, but it was actually pretty easy. All I did was tape the glass to the side panel and then filled in the edges using drywall filler. Spreading it out was the hardest part, I used my fingers and an old credit card and then sanded it down between applications with a sanding sponge. It would have actually been better to use a small piece of wood as a sanding block, but I didn't have any wood in that size. I used 220 grit then went to 400 to finish it off. Since you're interested I may make a tutorial in the future. :)

it so pretty :)

Also had my GPU block hit my window when I used the 240, barely thouch but stil thouched. I hadn't even considered that case to have clearance issues like that. Pretty nice result you got with you window mod I'd might add :)

Pretty excited to see what kind of temps you get with a 295x2 in there even if the rad area should be just about sufficient :)

it so pretty :)

Also had my GPU block hit my window when I used the 240, barely thouch but stil thouched. I hadn't even considered that case to have clearance issues like that. Pretty nice result you got with you window mod I'd might add :)

Pretty excited to see what kind of temps you get with a 295x2 in there even if the rad area should be just about sufficient :)

Thanks! I guess I should have considered spacing when I got the 240 since I knew that full hight tower coolers wouldn't fit, but I never did. Glad you like the window, maybe its because I've been looking at it forever but I wasn't sure how I liked how it looked.

Also curious as to how much over-clocking I can do without turning up the fans super high since that was one of my goals. I had planned for another 120mm in the back of the case but she didn't fit.

Thanks again!