Grenada shows improvement over Hawaii in Witcher 3

It seems that Grenada is not really a simple rebrand, but they did change stuff under the hood. This can be seen in the following Hardocp review:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/06/18/msi_r9_390x_gaming_8g_video_card_review/3#.VYPhzPmqpBf

What it seems they changed is Tesselation capabilities of the card and as such it performs much better than the 290x with Hairworks on:

aBj4s3h.png

It is a refresh, that's for sure...but a refresh doesn't necessarily mean a straight up rebrand with no improvements at all.

Moreover it seems that the driver that came with the card does not work for 200 series card... so it is not a simple driver update.

Yes, but also:

This proves it, at the same clocks the AMD Radeon R9 390X performs exactly the same as the AMD Radeon R9 290X.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

grenada shows improvement over Hawaii in everything

from what i understand its the exact same chip but the 28nm process is much more refined now

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Yes, but also:

a 50mhz bump is speed is the difference between 13 min fps and 22 ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

grenada shows improvement over Hawaii in everything

from what i understand its the exact same chip but the 28nm process is much more refined now

no http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/06/18/msi_r9_390x_gaming_8g_video_card_review/9#.VYPk2vntncA

that can just be drivers.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

TTL benched the MSI 390X and it performed very well, better than the 290X, so yeah, even though at the same clocks it's performing similar to the 290X. BUT....and there's a big BUT, OC capability seems much more present, which is good.

I think some of us were too fast to judge and spread hate towards the rebrands. 

I don't think rebrand suits them anymore. They are new cards, even though the cores are "old".

Again, TTL pointed that MSI's aproach on this was that they build a new card from the ground, with new cooling, new power delivery circuit, layout etc so yeah...technically it's a new card.

Sapphire got some new coolers as well, XFX and ASUS seem to just have flashed new BIOSes on existing 290Xs and sold them like that.

Haven't seen what Gigabyte has done yet.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

the thing to remember is you are comparing 1000/1250mhz to 1100/1525mhz (290x vs 390x) when these are taken into account it seems more so that it is just a rebrand.

if its the driver then kinda feels like cheating  if it only works on the 3xx :/

hmm AMD said it used less power but the tests show it uses more or the same

Moreover it seems that the driver that came with the card does not work for 200 series card... so it is not a simple driver update.

It's not because the driver doesn't work/install on the 200 series that it MUST be a hardware improvement, just wait for the proper driver release until you make that judgement. It is more than likely that it is just driver related.

Also what kind of a test is that ?! Just testing tessellation performance via Witcher 3 ? I call bullshit. IMO AMD likely identified the Shader responsible for hairworks and forces lower levels of tessellation to improve performance. Until it is tested & verified on a "benchmark" benchmark which features heavy & configurable tessellation, you cannot be sure.

That's no moon, that's a death ball !
K'Nex Server -- R9 290 Alpenföhn Peter Review -- Philips BDM4065UC Review
CPU Intel i5-4760K @ 4.3Ghz MEM 4x 4GB Cucial Ballistix 1600 LP MOBO Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU 980Ti G1 @ 1.47Ghz SSD 3x Samsung 840 EVO 240GB Raid0 CASE Silverstone SG10 DISPLAY Philips BDM4065UC 40" UHD

if its the driver then kinda feels like cheating  if it only works on the 3xx :/

it uses the same amount of power just higher clocks bring it up. It's the EXACT same card with better yields because of globalfoundries manufacturing it.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

tessellation improvement was introduced in GCN 1.2 (r9 285), so it could mean that the 390/390x was modified to take advantage of those improvements and they can't do it for 290/290x through the drivers

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

Who the hell is grenada and hawaii im getting sick of all this codenames even tough i read about tech lately feels like a rain of codenames,they should stop using codenames and just use the series number of hardware.

tessellation improvement was introduced in GCN 1.2 (r9 285), so it could mean that the 390/390x was modified to take advantage of those improvements and they can't do it for 290/290x through the drivers

I doubt it. That's a significant hardware change. Wouldn't be a rebrand at all.

Check Tomshardware reviews which compared MSI 390x against a similarly clocked HIS 290x with Hybrid cooler, the different between the 2 is marginal at best.

They also pit an aftermarket MSI 980 Gaming and the different is significant.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Check Tomshardware reviews which compared MSI 390x against a similarly clocked HIS 290x with Hybrid cooler, the different between the 2 is marginal at best.

They also pit an aftermarket MSI 980 Gaming and the different is significant.

+1000: Reviewers insists on using reference 290x cards which are basically hot, throttling potatoes compared to aftermarket cooler cards.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Who the hell is grenada and hawaii im getting sick of all this codenames even tough i read about tech lately feels like a rain of codenames,they should stop using codenames and just use the series number of hardware.

Get with the program. Companies give codenames all the time to things because they do have a purpose in industry and in marketing. If you're a salesman, you're much more likely to sell a laptop to a general consumer if you say it's powered by "Intel 5th gen Broadwell and Nvidia Maxwell" instead of "GM206 mobile GPU with an Intel 5xxxC". 

Hawaii is the codename for the GPU (the actual square chip thing you put paste on) for the R9 290/290X/295x2, Grenada is the the codename for the refreshed Hawaii used in R9 390/390X.

Someone will flash a 290X to be a 390X and get the same damn performance out of the "box", since the 390X gets the benefit of a factory OC along with whatever BIOS changes. Hardware hasn't changed...

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

Nope its the 1000MHz bump in the memory speeds that did it also.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

TTL benched the MSI 390X and it performed very well, better than the 290X, so yeah, even though at the same clocks it's performing similar to the 290X. BUT....and there's a big BUT, OC capability seems much more present, which is good.

I think some of us were too fast to judge and spread hate towards the rebrands. 

I don't think rebrand suits them anymore. They are new cards, even though the cores are "old".

Again, TTL pointed that MSI's aproach on this was that they build a new card from the ground, with new cooling, new power delivery circuit, layout etc so yeah...technically it's a new card.

Sapphire got some new coolers as well, XFX and ASUS seem to just have flashed new BIOSes on existing 290Xs and sold them like that.

Haven't seen what Gigabyte has done yet.

what is TTL? who is that??

Someone will flash a 290X to be a 390X and get the same damn performance out of the "box", since the 390X gets the benefit of a factory OC along with whatever BIOS changes. Hardware hasn't changed...

no longer elipdata dram. its hynix or samsung. 8gb now. so old bioses wont work

TinyTomLogan aka OC3D

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

woops

Spoiler

According to tpu their sample overclocked about as well as 290x's so... http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_390X_Gaming/33.html

Only the memory seems to be slightly faster. And since clock per clock performance is pretty much 1:1, it's the same card.

Spoiler

Tiny Tom Logan or OC3D.net if you will. I like his GPU reviews because they really are unbiased.

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

no longer elipdata dram. its hynix or samsung. 8gb now. so old bioses wont work

It's still Elpida, just the 6GHz model if I'm not mistaken.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd