Buying AMD stock?

SuperPug

I wonder if this is a good idea. The stock has had a nice little kick since the 16. (Launch of 3xx series). Before that, it has been hovering around the lowest its been in almost two years.

People that are not too well versed in hardware seem pretty excited over the 3xx series overall and early benchmarks make them seem to be pretty good in the price / performance departement when compared to Nvidia's cards.

Considering that we still have the Fury launch ahead of us, and assuming that it performs very well for its price (if AMD benchmarks are to believed *ehm*).

I wonder if its reasonable to assume that the stock is gonna gain quiet a bit in the following weeks.

Looking at previous launches of the HD7xxx and R2xx series however there doesnt seem to be any "pattern" in the developement of stock price immediatly following the announcements or launches. It actually fell quiet significantly after one of the launches and didnt do much of anything following the other iirc.

Opinions?

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I don't see how fury performs very well. It goes up against an air cooled card with a water cooler.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Stock cooler, or pcb?

The 300 series is not vastly different from the 200 series, so the 390x will still be fairly loud if AMD has not improved the stock cooler...

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I don't see how fury performs very well. It goes up against an air cooled card with a water cooler.

Kinda missing the point of the post...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

If the stock goes up, which I don't guarantee, it would only go up by small percentages.

If the Zen series CPU's are very good, the stock might go up quite  a bit. If they suck the stock will probably go down a ton in value.

I dunno what I would say. Personally I probably wouldn't sink all my money in AMD stocks, but sure I would want to get some

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Its your money...invest it how you want..

From what I've seen so far, the fury line is using similar architectures to their previous cards, and thus will likely not be the best thing since sliced bread in terms of overclocking. Because of this, the air cooled card, that is suppose to be a bit cheaper than the the 980 ti, might not be far behind.

The price of the water cooled fury x fairly close to the 980 ti, so it is at least competitive in that sense.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

All the excitement about AMD's new GPU, if it lives up to  the hype, will probably cause AMD's stock to develop a bit since there will be a bunch of people who will want to buy it. How long this will last though, that is the question. Because it might not last long at all and make stock to go right back down.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Buying AMD stock is not a short-term benefit.  You have to be in for the long haul.  They are in competitive markets, against very competent rivals.

I wonder if this is a good idea. The stock has had a nice little kick since the 16. (Launch of 3xx series). Before that, it has been hovering around the lowest its been in almost two years.

People that are not too well versed in hardware seem pretty excited over the 3xx series overall and early benchmarks make them seem to be pretty good in the price / performance departement when compared to Nvidia's cards.

Considering that we still have the Fury launch ahead of us, and assuming that it performs very well for its price (if AMD benchmarks are to believed *ehm*).

I wonder if its reasonable to assume that the stock is gonna gain quiet a bit in the following weeks.

Looking at previous launches of the HD7xxx and R2xx series however there doesnt seem to be any "pattern" in the developement of stock price immediatly following the announcements or launches. It actually fell quiet significantly after one of the launches and didnt do much of anything following the other iirc.

Opinions?

Buying tech stock is beyond stupid. Trust me, just don't...

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

I want to know why.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

Buying AMD stock is not a short-term benefit.  You have to be in for the long haul.  They are in competitive markets, against very competent rivals.

My train of thought was more alonge the lines of... get in before announcement take a dvantage of the hype and get out before it adjusts. Thing is, looking at past launches there doesnt really seem to be hype but this time around theres quiet a bump... maybe has to do with the stock having been so low recently.

- double post -

Bare in mind the star of the party is the Fury which is an enthusiast part (read: niche) the bulk of their ongoing sales will still be 7000/200/300 series (which ever you want to call it ;)), I wouldn't expect to see a drastic change... but then again I also don't claim to know a lot about the stock market...

Now that I think of it, please buy 51% of the stocks and let AMD make some logical decisions

:P

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The question is not so much about tech stock in general but about this very specific scenario and only about a very short time frame of maybe a week following launch. Its just the dynamic that ive seen the last two days which piqued my interest (~+8% since 16.)

My train of thought was more alonge the lines of... get in before announcement take a dvantage of the hype and get out before it adjusts. Thing is, looking at past launches there doesnt really seem to be hype but this time around theres quiet a bump... maybe has to do with the stock having been so low recently.

What you are looking for a quick bump in stock price.  If you look at AMD, you would need A LOT of money to invest to see any sort of decent return.  AMD is well established and you won't see big stock price moves over a period of less than 3-5 years.

Any breakthrough goes into testing for years.

Look at HBM memory on the Fury... 5 years of dev time.

Now that I think of it, please buy 51% of the stocks and let AMD make some logical decisions

:P

If i bought 51% of AMD stock im not sure that would qualify me to be able to make logical decisions :P

I want to know why.

They do fluctuate quite a bit, here is Intel's stock over the course of 5 years:

vOFi2VJ.png

As you can see, they have had clear ups and downs over the course of 5 years. Sure, if you would have jumped on the boat in half 2010, you would have had quite a bit of money, but their stock didn't increase that much in value.

In these 5 years the stock did not double, while quite a few other companies' stocks did double.

If i bought 51% of AMD stock im not sure that would qualify me to be able to make logical decisions :P

well, maybe. you can veto stuff I guess

I want to know why.

If anyone on here is serious about investing in stocks, which I doubt because the average age of LTT is probably somewhere between the ages of 12-18. The only tech company worth investing into is Microsoft because of their dividend. Remember apple? their stock was hovering ove $600/share 2-3 years ago? Now they're at $120/share. Plus, even with the stock split - it's not a company I'd like to invest in. AMD, Intel, google, facebook, twitter are all garbage stocks.

Commodities are king. Also, diversity is key.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

Not to be a kill joy or anything but apparently it's illegal to offer financial advice unless you are registered with the US SEC.

So in that vein, if you want to buy stocks in AMD, try and time it to be just before a major release announcement or Samsung buyout rumor. Then sell before the company goes tits up.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If anyone on here is serious about investing in stocks, which I doubt because the average age of LTT is probably somewhere between the ages of 12-18. The only tech company worth investing into is Microsoft because of their dividend. Remember apple? their stock was hovering ove $600/share 2-3 years ago? Now they're at $120/share. AMD, Intel, google, facebook, twitter are all garbage stocks.

Commodities are king. Also, diversity is key.

That apple stock price ($120) is surely due to splitting, right?

Intel over the course of 35 years:

Owvx7N6.png

Their stocks were worth a whole lot in 2000 apparently and halved in price from that point.

As you can see, the short term doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you dont spend millions/tens of thousands.

But you can't show numbers without reference. So here is AMD:

NB912Ka.png

They are pretty much at an all time low, with a big spike in value around 2000 too.

But if you would have bought AMD stocks in 2010 for 5000 dollars, it would now be worth be worth about 3 times less (so approximately 2000 dollars).

Not to be a kill joy or anything but apparently it's illegal to offer financial advice unless you are registered with the US SEC.

So in that vein, if you want to buy stocks in AMD, try and time it to be just before a major release announcement or Samsung buyout rumor. Then sell before the company goes tits up.

I live in Canada :D