Buying AMD stock?

SuperPug

If anyone on here is serious about investing in stocks, which I doubt because the average age of LTT is probably somewhere between the ages of 12-18. The only tech company worth investing into is Microsoft because of their dividend. Remember apple? their stock was hovering ove $600/share 2-3 years ago? Now they're at $120/share. AMD, Intel, google, facebook, twitter are all garbage stocks.

Commodities are king. Also, diversity is key.

And you need a lot of luck. For example if you bought Intel or AMD stocks around the later half of 2000, you would have been screwed to say the least.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

That apple stock price ($120) is surely due to splitting, right?

Indeed.

i7 7700k @ 4.9ghz | Asus Maximus IX Hero | G.skill 32gb @ 3200 | Gtx 1080 classified | In win 909 | Samsung 960 pro 1tb | WD caviar blue 1tb x3 | Dell u3417w | Corsair H115i | Ducky premier dk9008p (mx reds) | Logitech g900 | Sennheiser hd 800s w/ hdvd 800 | Audioengine a5+ w/ s8

And you need a lot of luck. For example if you bought Intel or AMD stocks around the later half of 2000, you would have been screwed to say the least.

Do you know if those drops are due to stock splits?  If they were, then you would actually be better off holding the stock through the 2000 period.  You can double or triple (or more) your stock.

500 shares could become 1500.

Personally, I'd invest, but not too much...

Calling someone with experience:

@MyInnerFred

Do you know if those drops are due to stock splits?  If they were, then you would actually be better off holding the stock through the 2000 period.  You can double or triple (or more) your stock.

500 shares could become 1500.

I am not sure.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I live in Canada :D

I live in Australia, The laws are different everywhere and I believe they are even different in different states in the US.  I have read old articles that state it is illegal to offer financial advice without a license (even to family or privately), but that was a few years ago.  At any rate, my point was more to raise awareness regarding the legalities and more so the wisdom of taking financial advice of a forum filled with teenagers. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If anyone on here is serious about investing in stocks, which I doubt because the average age of LTT is probably somewhere between the ages of 12-18. The only tech company worth investing into is Microsoft because of their dividend. Remember apple? their stock was hovering ove $600/share 2-3 years ago? Now they're at $120/share. Plus, even with the stock split - it's not a company I'd like to invest in. AMD, Intel, google, facebook, twitter are all garbage stocks.

I thought apple didnt pay dividens on their stock or some weird shit like that?

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I think im going to buy some stock before the ZEN launch, i dont think the amd stock can go a lot lower, so i may just buy a bit now. I have my hopes set high for ZEN, at best the Fury will perform about as much as an overclocked 980ti.

My Rig: AMD Ryzen 5800x3D | Scythe Fuma 2 | RX6600XT Red Devil | B550M Steel Legend | Fury Renegade 32GB 3600MTs | 980 Pro Gen4 - RAID0 - Kingston A400 480GB x2 RAID1 - Seagate Barracuda 1TB x2 | Fractal Design Integra M 650W | InWin 103 | Mic. - SM57 | Headphones - Sony MDR-1A | Keyboard - Roccat Vulcan 100 AIMO | Mouse - Steelseries Rival 310 | Monitor - Dell S3422DWG

To answers OP's question. It depends do you want to go short or go long? Do you think AMDs new products will cause a jump? Beat the competition?

If you think it's a go then I'd buy in and be ready to jump ship once the new Gpu and Cpus are launched.

I'd buy in with only a small portion of my capital due to AMDs poor past track record.

If anyone on here is serious about investing in stocks, which I doubt because the average age of LTT is probably somewhere between the ages of 12-18. The only tech company worth investing into is Microsoft because of their dividend. Remember apple? their stock was hovering ove $600/share 2-3 years ago? Now they're at $120/share. Plus, even with the stock split - it's not a company I'd like to invest in. AMD, Intel, google, facebook, twitter are all garbage stocks.

There are experienced stock traders here.

Tech companies are worth investing in, it just depends on how long you plan on staying really. Need short term gains or long term hauls?

You can make a hefty gain off of short term gains.

2000s was when the tech company crash came about, the dot come crash.

Personally, I'd invest, but not too much...

Calling someone with experience:

@MyInnerFred

You forgot @Vitalius too. :D

Thanks for spotting this thread for me.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

To answers OP's question. It depends do you want to go short or go long? Do you think AMDs new products will cause a jump? Beat the competition?

If you think it's a go then I'd buy in and be ready to jump ship once the new Gpu and Cpus are launched.

I'd buy in with only a small portion of my capital due to AMDs poor past track record.

There are experienced stock traders here.

Tech companies are worth investing in, it just depends on how long you plan on staying really. Need short term gains or long term hauls?

You can make a hefty gain off of short term gains.

2000s was when the tech company crash came about, the dot come crash.

You forgot @Vitalius too. :D

Thanks for spotting this thread for me.

Yay.

Thanks for mentioning me.

@eLucid @MyInnerFred

Regarding investing in AMD stock: Don't. Just don't. 

Their stock doesn't care what news there is. It doesn't care if their products do good. It doesn't care if their earnings reports are good or bad. And it doesn't care about technical indicators. 

It's gambling. Don't gamble. Whatever drives their stock price is something I haven't found yet, and I suspect it's some major investor who doesn't understand how it's supposed to work. 

It's weird. I don't like it. 

But do what you want if you think I'm wrong.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

@Vitalius

AMDs was doing better last year when people found out they would be powering both consoles. But then they tappered off later after poor results from quarterly earnings it seems. They haven't been in the green in a while.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Don't know why you'd consider investing in AMD, your money is perfectly flammable all by itself.

That was a joke. If you are considering, keep in mind that desktop GPUs are a small part of business for AMD (desktop products in general are a tiny part of their work) - their larger business is in integrated chips, APUs, CPUs etc.

So even if the fury X performs twice as well as a Titan X, it's unlikely to cause stock to rise, since it's a very niche product targeted at PC builders (and most people who buy PCs aren't builders). They'd need to be flogging it to HP, Dell, Microsoft, Apple and everyone else who mass sells computers (which they won't, because most PC buyers are more budget oriented). That and their price point is unlikely to be hugely profitable (which is what shareholders care about) since AMD has kind of dug itself into being the "budget" brand, so people just won't pay as much for it as a Nvidia product. You need to look at their other products and how they are going.

Of course it may pay off in the long term, it may not.

And with acquisition rumours floating around there is a possibility of a short term spike.

AMD is not a safe investment right now.  Their new GPUs may help the company if they turn out to be as good as they are claiming.  And they may do alright if they can come up with a competitive CPU in the very near future.   But that is a lot of maybe to bet money on in my book.   Keep in mind they also posted a 180 Million dollar Net loss in Quarter 1 of this year.  

We can debate which company we like more for parts all day long.  But from a business point of view they are not a safe bet. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Don't know why you'd consider investing in AMD, your money is perfectly flammable all by itself.

That was a joke. If you are considering, keep in mind that desktop GPUs are a small part of business for AMD (desktop products in general are a tiny part of their work) - their larger business is in integrated chips, APUs, CPUs etc.

So even if the fury X performs twice as well as a Titan X, it's unlikely to cause stock to rise, since it's a very niche product targeted at PC builders (and most people who buy PCs aren't builders). They'd need to be flogging it to HP, Dell, Microsoft, Apple and everyone else who mass sells computers (which they won't, because most PC buyers are more budget oriented). That and their price point is unlikely to be hugely profitable (which is what shareholders care about) since AMD has kind of dug itself into being the "budget" brand, so people just won't pay as much for it as a Nvidia product. You need to look at their other products and how they are going.

Of course it may pay off in the long term, it may not.

And with acquisition rumours floating around there is a possibility of a short term spike.

This is pretty much why I would say that you're not going to be getting any short term benefit. If you want to wait a year or two, Zen is supposed to be awesome (40% IPC! Woot!) and the 400 series is going to be built on the 14nm process. That's a huge DIE shrink. Pretty much AMD should be much more competitive in CPUs and GPUs (Pascal will only be 16nm and while architecture does have a lot of impact, since we know nothing about them we can't really predict much). That coupled with AMD being at pretty much at an all time low or close enough makes me feel like even if they're not that great, say a repeat of the 6 month hype train for 300 series but for zen,I don't really see them dropping much lower.

"We've hit rock bottom so now people will buy our stock since it probably won't go down more and feels secure which will cause it to go up. Best business plan ever."

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

Tech stocks rarely revolve around their products being good or not.  It's whether or not the stockholders are confident in this company producing a profit.  AMD has traded really low for years.  And a long-haul strategy won't work very well in this case because as far as I know, AMD doesn't give out dividends.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh