Sapphire's R9 390X Tri-X OC 8GB Performance Review from hardwarecanucks

ahhming

Source: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/69646-amd-r9-390x-8gb-performance-review.html

BMwVtrm.jpg

R9-390X-81.jpg

Main Test System

Processor: Intel i7 4930K @ 4.7GHz

Memory: G.Skill Trident 16GB @ 2133MHz 10-10-12-29-1T

Motherboard: ASUS P9X79-E WS

Cooling: NH-U14S

SSD: 2x Kingston HyperX 3K 480GB

Power Supply: Corsair AX1200

Monitor: Dell U2713HM (1440P) / ASUS PQ321Q (4K)

1440p

vMbLxB3.jpg

yM3Z9hN.jpg

mtJtEye.jpg

JVFon8B.jpg

7OW5kvp.jpg

ZNs6kAA.jpg

AtPoy1Q.jpg

F9Ahzaz.jpg

WmLOEj6.jpg

performance wise quite similar to gtx 980

q3BgC5R.jpg

Quite card! ,however this is a non reference cooler

UA3PGeu.jpg

expected . more ram more power .

Not all result are posted here, head over to source for hitman absolution ,middle earth :shadow of mordor ,thief & tomb raider result

Source:

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/reviews/video_cards/the-amd-r9-390x-8gb-performance-review/

Guru3d MSI r9 390x

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-radeon-r9-390x-gaming-8g-oc-review,1.html

Thats what I thought the 390x trading blows with the 980.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

Pretty much equal to a GTX980 at 1440p and probably lower resolutions, but when it goes to 4K the 390X edges ahead.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

Pretty good results if you ask me, seems that they're about on par with the GTX980.

Gigabyte X570 UD

Ryzen 5 5600x

16GB 3200mhz ram

Asus TUF Rx5700XT

600w PSU

256GB NVME boot drive

1tb sata ssd game drive

2tb mechanical storage drive

Logitech G815 Tactile

Logitech G502

AudioTechnica ATH-G1WL

LG B9 OLED

Lol what? This doesn't look like a direct rebrand to me

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

You might wanna add to the title which version the 390X is. Also that is against a stock 290X and 980 as I understood so I'm now blown away. It's how I thought it would perform.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

So it's about $100 less then a 980 and trade blow with it. Pretty nice card maybe i will pick one up.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

So the 390X does perform better than a normal 290X. Not sure if that is simply because of its higher base clock, but good results nonetheless. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

It may be a "Rebrand" (i really hate saying this) but at least it does a good damn job.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Seems about right, but in terms of value the r9 290x still beats the crap out of it.

Edit: also notice the difference in noise levels when jumping to a tri X cooler, I hope that the reference cooler improved as well.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

That's pretty impressive for a re-brand, and a card $100 cheaper than a 980.  Definitely not a bad choice for someone wanting to spend $400.  Unfortunately the card is still in a weird spot.  Most people wont spend more than $300~ on a card, and those that do are looking at the Fury/980ti anyway.

I'm much more interested to see the 390's performance at its pricepoint.  If it kicks the 970's ass, that'll be huge. 

Lol what? This doesn't look like a direct rebrand to me

Well keep in mind the clock speeds are different and the drivers probably have some sort of effect as well. Still pretty decent but probably reachable with an overclock.

"rebrand" just means its the same chip.  They probably have made some minor improvements and driver changes to improve performance

Well keep in mind the clock speeds are different and the drivers probably have some sort of effect as well. Though it's still pretty decent improvement considering it's a rebrand.

edit: fuckin ninja'd

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Disappointing. For as much as both reviewers I've seen try to convince us this is not a rebrand the performance is well within the rebrand territory: if you put a stock cooler, throttling 290x vs one of the best air coolers around by Sapphire of course you can expect this kind of results.

The only one that could be worth it again is the 390 nonx to replace the spot the 290x will leave.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well keep in mind the clock speeds are different and the drivers probably have some sort of effect as well. Still pretty decent but probably reachable with an overclock.

So it's not the direct rebrand everyone else has been saying 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I think AMD said they put some new technology into the 300 series that's not in the 200.

Steve Wozniak - "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window."                                                                                                                                               Carl Sagan - "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

Spoiler

CPU: Core i5 6600K Cooling: NH-D14 Motherboard: GA-Z170XP-SLI RAM: 8GB Patriot Graphics: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4G Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro HDD: 2TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: Threamaltake Smart 750W

My computer runs on MSX, Its very hard to catch.

And for 100 dollars less you get the 390 non-x with 8gb of vram as well. 

Build: CPU: i7-4790k @4.4 GHz 1.2v | GPU: Sapphire R9 380 Nitro | Memory: 16GB Evga SSC | Storage: 250GB 850 Evo, 1 TB Toshiba HDD | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 7  | Cooling: Aigo T120 RGB | Case: NZXT S340 | PSU: Antec HCG 520w | OS: Windows 10 | Keyboard: Corsair K70, Cherry MX Reds | Mouse: Logitech G600 | Monitor: LG 27UD58-B | Headset: Audio-Technica M40x w/ Modmic and Bravo Audio V2 Tube Amplifier 

Or you know... It's a rebranded chip with an overclock on top...

So it's about $100 less then a 980 and trade blow with it. Pretty nice card maybe i will pick one up.

Or ... buy a 290X with a really good cooler for less and oc it.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Or you know... It's a rebranded chip with an overclock on top...

which means its not a direct rebrand? 

It kinda is. Some improvements were made in power consumption and that's really about it: even this article makes this point loud and clear:

While the R9 390X throws up an awesome price / performance bulwark against a stock GTX 980, it goes through an identity crisis when compared against similar R9 290X cards. For example, the Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X 8GB has a similar core clock and a 500MHz lower GDDR5 speed but it costs $40 less before generous rebates are factored into the equation. If we had that 290X here for comparison purposes, I guarantee I wouldn’t be able to find justification for the 390X’s premium. It just boggles the mind.

Throwing it against reference design 290x shows a difference but throwing it vs hefty aftermarket coolers shows almost no improvements except for some 4k gains on framerates that are still honestly not quite there.

-------

Current Rig

-------

cant wait for furry x since 390x=980 at 1440p so and 4k is better so i woad say amd wins

"rebrand" just means its the same chip.  They probably have made some minor improvements and driver changes to improve performance

edit: fuckin ninja'd

And it has more stream processors.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

"While the R9 390X throws up an awesome price / performance bulwark against a stock GTX 980, it goes through an identity crisis when compared against similar R9 290X cards. For example, the Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X 8GB has a similar core clock and a 500MHz lower GDDR5 speed but it costs $40 less before generous rebates are factored into the equation. If we had that 290X here for comparison purposes, I guarantee I wouldn’t be able to find justification for the 390X’s premium. It just boggles the mind."

so..so its a great card but the 290x is still the king of price to performance?

right. Pretty sure we already knew that. 

"Regardless of whether you want to call this a rebrand or refresh (I’m firmly on the refresh side), the R9 390X is an undeniably appealing card for anyone who can’t justify spending over $450 for a GPU. It is truly amazing to see that a Hawaii-based derivative can be so competitive this far into its life. I’m just not sure if that represents a ringing endorsement for the versatility of AMD’s GCN 1.1 architecture or an honest critique about how the graphics performance yardsticks haven’t moved all that much in almost two years. Maybe it’s both."

That last part really got me. Basically its what i've been hollering about forever. The 290x didnt need to be that much more powerful because honestly Maxwell isnt that impressive on a pure performance standard. 

Still trades blows with a 980 which is slightly better...but for that price i'd likely just buy a 290x anyways. Price needs to come down (as if amd can afford that :( )

now then つ ◕_◕ ༽つ FURY BENCHMARK

CPU: Intel i5 4690k W/Noctua nh-d15 GPU: Gigabyte G1 980 TI MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: 16Gig Corsair Vengance Boot-Drive: 500gb Samsung Evo Storage: 2x 500g WD Blue, 1x 2tb WD Black 1x4tb WD Red

"Whatever AMD is losing in suddenly becomes the most important thing ever." - Glenwing, 1/13/2015