Microsoft Announces Xbox one Backwards Compatibility, Even Servers

Uwillparish

AFAIK, the Xbox One's OS hasn't been cracked open, has it? I haven't followed that side of things, but yea if they did then you'd have a PPC emulator already written in x86 ready to go, which would be pretty awesome all things considered. 

No idea. I haven't followed console news at all this gen. I sold my xbox one a couple weeks ago after playing it literally 4 times to gamestop for store credit... Jokes on them though, I bought steam gift cards. 

What is also cool is you can use features like screenshots and other stuff with the Xbox 360 games too on Xbox One so you are getting some new things to do with your games from the last generation console.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Xbox 360 is based off PPC. Xbox One is x86. I'll remind you that PCs STILL don't have proper PPC emulation for the 360, so MS doing it right off the Xbox One is pretty awesome. 

What black magic/space sorcery is this? Like how have they managed it? O.o

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

and how long has nintendo been doing this?

Since the Wii. Carts aren't BC-able

Hopefully someone will crack it and we can get a real emulator for 360 games. 

It's too bad I'm not interested in it. The base instruction set itself is not difficult and has probably been done. The tough part is the offloading macros to send things to the GPU and the CELL processors themselves and the numerous variations thereof.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

What black magic/space sorcery is this? Like how have they managed it? O.o

The same way Sun built a JVM in an actual CPU. It's nothing more than a matter of understanding the rules. Once you know the ISA and all relevant commands for the environment, you just create a program which takes in the byte codes from the game and translates them before calling equivalent functions on your native machine. That's how all virtual machines work.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I'm gonna sell my 360 now since I have no reason to have it...

Not that iv'e played my consoles in the last 4 months...

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Before more of you complain about how it took two years for this to happen, remember that the Xbox One is based on x86-64 while the Xbox 360 was based on PowerPC. They're in the same situation they were in with Xbox 360 backwards compatibility, wherein the original Xbox was x86 while the Xbox 360 was PPC and had to rely on x86 emulation to achieve backwards compatibility, only this time they have to rely on PPC emulation instead of x86 emulation.

It's too bad I'm not interested in it. The base instruction set itself is not difficult and has probably been done. The tough part is the offloading macros to send things to the GPU and the CELL processors themselves and the numerous variations thereof.

I'm not either, but being able to say "me too" to console peasantry is always great. 

and how long has nintendo been doing this?

Every home console since the Wii and every portable since the GBC. Also if you include the VC service, which isn't exhaustive but it is there, it goes back further than just one generation. On the 3DS you can play 3DS, DS, GBC, GB, GameGear and NES games. On the Wii U you can play Wii U, Wii, N64, SNES, NES and GBA games. It's not perfect, the Wii U is missing Gamecube and the 3DS misses out on GBA. Likely for technical reasons. But it ain't bad.

That said, PC backwards compatibility puts them all to shame ;)

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

So wait...it doesn't mean I can put a 360 game in but means I can put a XboxOne game in to play with the 360 people right?

I hope they still do something like this for PC.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Hmmm, either buy a 360-which can be softmodded/upgraded (though you need to be absolutely sure that you've got everything 100% correct for your Xbox), or buy an Xbone that plays all 360 games (and was primarily aimed at TV)-and which I've got utterly no clue on how to softmod or upgrade.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Does anyone know if these games will be ported or are emulated by the xbox? Im guessing ported since it only uses the disc as verification that you own the game then downloads a digital copy.

The latter voids the warranty though

upgrading the ps4 hard drive voids the warrenty?

Xbox 360 is based off PPC. Xbox One is x86. I'll remind you that PCs STILL don't have proper PPC emulation for the 360, so MS doing it right off the Xbox One is pretty awesome.

I highly doubt its emulation . I believe these are ports since it downloads you a digital copy if u have a disk

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I highly doubt its emulation . I believe these are ports since it downloads you a digital copy if u have a disk

To have backwards compatibility with the same existing files/disks requires emulation.

Just copying and pasting my post from the other thread.

I don't think they should be praised for something which should be in consoles from the very start.

And reintroducing it as a feature is terrible. So many games I have for my PS2 and PS3, which I cannot play on my PS4. They want me to rebuy it for a newer console? Just keep all my consoles connected at all times? Heck no.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

I don't think they should be praised for something which should be in consoles from the very start.

And reintroducing it as a feature is terrible. So many games I have for my PS2 and PS3, which I cannot play on my PS4. They want me to rebuy it for a newer console? Just keep all my consoles connected at all times? Heck no.

Honestly just play the games that give you the most amount of fun on the console that works best. I straight up said 'FU' to Microsoft when they expected me to re-buy games so I could play them on the newer console when I'd already spent over $1000 on my Original Xbox (which is still going all of these years later with its 'shit' thompson drive outlasting 2 samsung spares - softmodding and upgrading the HDD helps too)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

All my consoles still work, but I play various games, I have this spontaneous urges to play DBZ, MGS, Spyro and Crashbandicoot. But I also sometimes want to play games which were released during PS3, Uncharted and God of War.

I cannot have all of them connected at the same time. TV is used by my PS4 and PC and no place to keep more consoles hooked up.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

I hope you understand why this wasn't available at launch. Backwards compatibility via software is HARD and intensive. Sure, MS could've done hardware but would you want to pay another 150-200 for a One? Cause Sony basically put a PS2 into a PS3 to get the backwards compatibility they had.

The PS4 will NEVER have this kind of support outside of their paid subscription service. Cell is a pain to work with and I'm sure most developers are fucking thrilled they never have to touch it again.

What is hype may never die - Cleganebowl 2016

All my consoles still work, but I play various games, I have this spontaneous urges to play DBZ, MGS, Spyro and Crashbandicoot. But I also sometimes want to play games which were released during PS3, Uncharted and God of War.

I cannot have all of them connected at the same time. TV is used by my PS4 and PC and no place to keep more consoles hooked up.

Get a nice TV cabinet and store all your consoles in it :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think TotalBiscuit nailed E3 on the head.

Only good news this year was Fallout 4.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs