Microsoft ends Skype Windows App in favor of the desktop version

GoodBytes

Microsoft is terminating support of Skype Windows App. Microsoft will start a promoting the desktop version.

This is part of the company simplifying the software.

The phase out operation will start July 7th.

Aga Guzik from Skype says:

We’re updating PC users of the Windows modern application to the Windows desktop application, and retiring the modern application. With the upcoming release of Windows 10 for PCs, it makes sense to use the Skype application optimized for mouse and keyboards use, capable of doing touch as well rather than 2 separate applications performing the same function.

modern-client.png

Windows 8 App

im-with-share-file-open-menu.png

Desktop App

At Skype we want to help you do more together with the people you care about by delivering the best possible experiences to the devices you use. That’s why we’re simplifying your PC experience down to one app that you can use either with your mouse and keyboard or with touch. Starting on July 7, we’re updating PC users of the Windows modern application to the Windows desktop application, and retiring the modern application.

With the upcoming release of Windows 10 for PCs, it makes sense to use the Skype application optimized for mouse and keyboards use, capable of doing touch as well rather than 2 separate applications performing the same function.

You told us that Skype for Windows desktop:

-> Helps you efficiently navigate – it presents all information in one window – including notifications, multiple conversations and a full contact list – so you don’t have to scroll back and forth.

->Comes with great features that help you get more done- like group video calling, sharing your screen for showing directions or working together on a document and soon translation.

Source 1: http://www.theverge.com/2015/6/11/8765057/skype-windows-touch-app-removal

Source 2: http://blogs.skype.com/2015/06/11/a-more-efficient-skype-experience-for-your-pc/

I get what they are doing this. It is very simple. Under Windows 10, having both makes no sense. But I wonder why the desktop version. I expected Microsoft to work on a universal app version, and drop the desktop version. Universal apps does supports pop-ups, and multiple processes execution, so they can make the Windows 10 universal app be like the desktop app with on keyboard and mouse setup.

Could it be that this is what they want to do in reality, but doing this in phases. What i mean is terminate the Windows 8 App version, just have the desktop app version while people upgrade to Windows 10, and have the Skype team take their time and develop a universal app version, which will be ready to release for Windows 10 when most would be on that new OS.

OR

Maybe they plan to integrate Skype into Windows in some fashion.

What do you think?

UPDATE

-> Microsoft said that there will be a Skype Universal App, which will be completely redone from scratch.

-> The new Universal App will feature a new layout optimized for mouse/keyboard and touch, and not touch exclusive.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-microsoft-shares-more-on-the-new-skype-universal-app-experience

Interesting. 

That's a way to move forward.

But it will probably stay the same on Windows 7.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I think windows is going in the right direction. if they keep this up eventually people will start liking Windows to OSX

Main PC |CPU - i7-6700k|GPU - R9 290x tri-x 4gb|RAM - 16gb ddr4|MOBO - MSI z170 - A PRO|HDD - WD 1TB/240gb Sandisk |PSU - 700w Raidmax

Laptop |CPU - i7 4720hq|GPU - 960m 2gb|Ram - 8gb 2x4|Model - y50-70 Touch|SSD - 240gb Patriot drive|Display - 1920x1080 IPS touch

Eh I don't care. Even if I had windows 8 I would still use the desktop one.

So good move imo :P

Let's all admit, the windows apps were a bad idea. They. Just. Were. It made it harder for the programmers as well the users. Thanks Microsoft for killing it off!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

They won't integrate it.. they'll be back in court for anti-competitive stuffs.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

They won't integrate it.. they'll be back in court for anti-competitive stuffs.

I think they'll go in to court in any case for something else. Maybe about the fact that the Start menu included in Windows 10 is anti-competitive to alternative start menus, or something.

THANK GOD that silly store skype app is gone, seriously sometimes MS does things right but it takes them forever to realize that.

TL;DR i think they should recode the whole Skype with all the features as an universal APP and be done with it.

Windows APPs would have been amazing if MS werent so stupid and closed minded,they tried to copy GooglePlay on android and whatever it is on iOS by removing start menus in win8.0 and nerfing windows making it unusable it backfired really badly on them, and all the apps in windowze store are trash they should either try to reinvent the Store or scrap it.

I mean it should be great having such a store but its not great,look at linux mint/ubuntu etc you have an application that allows you to get programs from repo's or so, not sure how it works exactly you just click install and it works, same on googplay for android and chrome browser it just works,and there are a bunch of really great apps, but not on windowze all the app's in the store are trash with very few features, they need to try harder.

So glad the feature stripped piece of trash is dead...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Good, and now how about they include a good mail program that isn't garbage

The 'modern' version is just terrible. Fine for touch devices which was a selling point for Windows 8 back in the day. 

But for a Desktop it was near impossible to use a mouse with. Plus i think a few graphical glitches didn't help it either. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Many of your forget, that the desktop is not great with touch.

In fact the desktop app is not even high-DPI friendly.

So this news is very sucky for those running Windows powered tablet. At least for now, unless they release a new desktop version which will make things better for touch.

I kinda like interface design windows 8 mail programs used. i cant say i liked the modern skype stilll

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Wasn't expecting this, especially since they have real time translation in the win 8 app. Have they implemented that in the desktop ap as well?

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

They basically turned the desktop version into the Metro version with more functionality anyway.

I tried the app version to chat with my friends while playing some games, but it cut out the audio when going into full screen in any game, so... yeah...

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

think this all just goes to show, how poor Windows 8 "Metro" implementation has been. desktop app has always been better.

Cpu: Intel i5 4690k @3.5 Ghz*cooled by Corsair Hydro H105* | Case: NZXT H440 Black/Green | Motherbord: Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK Black Edition Ram: Avexir Venom 16GB
Video Card: Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX980 4GB | Power Supply: Corsair TX850 | SSD: Samsung 500GB 850 Pro SSD: Samsung 500GB 840 Pro 
Monitor: ASUS 27" ROG Swift G-Sync 144mhz | Keyboard: Logitech G710+  | Mouse: Logitech G700s| Headset: Logitech G35 | Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1
NAS Set-up: Netgear ReadyNAS 104 "populated by 4 x 2TB Western Digital Red in RAID 6"

Good, they are atleast doing something to make Skype better. I wish they could get their act together and fix the Skype app for Android. Horribly slow, horribly unreliable when it comes to notifications. It is quite normal that I have to force quite and start the app again to get it to load messages. Also quite normal that it suddenly decides to not be able to send any messages, needing a app restart. Notifications I get rarely. If I am actively using the phone (see playing on it, browsing the web or something), and have visited that app right beforehand, notifications actually works. But if the phone just lays on the table or in my pocket, notifications almost never come. Only way for me to be sure if I have got messages or not is to go to my computer and check. 

For those talking about DPI problems on Skype. I tested it just a bit on Windows 10, and it seemed fine. 

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

now just make skype work well and not have such a horrific user interface and were good

Wasn't expecting this, especially since they have real time translation in the win 8 app. Have they implemented that in the desktop ap as well?

Yes. Microsoft said that it is coming soon, by end of summer they said.

Good, and now how about they include a good mail program that isn't garbage

If you are a power email user Outlook 2013, also included in Office 365 is great. Then there is the standard http://www.outlook.com website which is fine for most users' needs.

Then they have Windows Mail app in Windows 8.x which also works okay for simple things, but is being massively improved in Windows 10.

Guessing that you've tried the Windows 8.x Mail app since you are running Windows 8.1 on your machine, maybe the Windows 10 version you will like better. :P

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

THANK GOD

So tired of clicking people's add me on Skype buttons only to have it open the windows 8 app instead of Skype for desktop