Apple is sending cars to help build its own Street View

TwistedDictator

applemaps.jpg

Google's Street View cars are well known, but you may also soon see vehicles from its biggest rival: Apple. The company today confirmed that in order to improve Apple Maps, it's embarking on a mission to drive cars all over the world, starting in the US, UK and Ireland. It's created a dedicated website detailing the locations it intends to visit and when it expects to be there, which may allow you to "accidentally" get snapped by one of its vehicles. From June 15th, Apple will visit a number of US states and cities, including California, Florida and New York, as well as London, Birmingham and Essex in the UK.

Transparency appears to be Apple's aim here, so it's listing areas before the cars actually arrive. The company also says that it will "blur faces and license plates on collected images prior to publication," which suggests that the company isn't just mapping directions, but that it's also building a Street View service of its very own. It comes just days after Apple announced a number of Maps improvements, which includes the roll out of transit directions in a number of US and international cities, reiterating Apple's desire to beat Google at its own game.

Source

Apple is making their own street view but is it really worth it? Google Maps does a awesome job IMO. Does anyone really use Apple maps?

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

Apple should be sued.

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Wow... I guess throw enough money at it and you can have your own maps.

But what's the point? Why reinvent the exact same wheel?

I think apple really wants to separate themselves from everyone else... Kind of like north korea.

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

Apple should be sued.

THEY ARE BLATANTLY COPYING GOOGLE! HOW DARE THEY HAVE THE SAME IDEA!

jokes aside, good luck keeping up... and I strongly doubt it will ever be close to as comprehensive as google's. they have been doing it for 9 years, and they don't exactly risk to run out of money.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I can envision a world where the only people who can afford a car are the megacorps that develops 3D street view maps, and all those cars drives themselves.

I'm the greatest, everyone else is trash.

just use google maps apple, they have had a 9 year mapping headstart

My parents use apple maps because it's the default for Iphones, and out of the 2 times they've used it while i'm in the car it's messed up both times, with the worst instance being when there were 2 entrances onto the same highway southbound, but the 2 entrances were in different directions so apple maps got confused and literally led us in a circle for 45 minutes because it couldn't decide what entrance to use.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Is Apple having ego problems or are they just looking for ways to waste their money after profiting so much? Everyone I know who has an iPhone uses Google Maps... I find it hard for Apple to come back after Google has already established their standing with their awesome app.

"We are making something completely from scratch!"

That will have exacly the same result as something that already exists...

It's like reinventing the wheel. It already exists! There's no need for it!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

shame how two faced people are. I for one welcome an alternative to Google's street view. Since when was choice a bad thing?

Apple wants separating for their former reliance on Google for their services. They've done a good job kicking Google out. Apple Maps gets used nearly 4 times as much as Google Maps. Google Maps on its own isn't that great anymore, like most Google products that get bloated. 

I don't get it. Apple is building out their own version as to not be slaves to Googles demands, its a bad thing?

sauce please

And its ironic, you talking about people shitposting about apple. When in my eye's you seem to be one of apples white knights lol

Source was right from Apples own bloody presentation. Apple Maps has way more usage compared to Google Maps on iOS, Google lost their exclusive rights and with that lost a lot of users (casuals who don't download apps to replace stock ones, specifically). 

Source was right from Apples own bloody presentation. Apple Maps has way more usage compared to Google Maps on iOS, Google lost their exclusive rights and with that lost a lot of users (casuals who don't download apps to replace stock ones, specifically). 

Lol thats pointless mentioning how it get's used more. 90% of apples base are clueless idiots who can barely download things off the store without their kids help. So obviously if apple has managed to phase out google maps from its iOS usage of it's own will increase... In other news we have reports that it's wet after 4 day's of constant rain, back to you Nick.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

Lol thats pointless mentioning how it get's used more. 90% of apples base are clueless idiots who can barely download things off the store without their kids help. So obviously if apple has managed to phase out google maps from its iOS usage of it's own will increase... In other news we have reports that it's wet after 4 day's of constant rain, back to you Nick.

I stopped reading after that.

I use Apple maps primarily because the interface is just much better and the POI and directions are much better than Google's. Having Yelp integration means that new restaurants pop up on Apple maps much quicker than Google maps. Apple maps also works better with the OS than Google maps, but that's because it's built in. Having the navigation gui on the lockscreen and having the screen turn on when it gives you directions is so awesome (i.e. driving on the freeway, the screen will turn on when siri tells you to take the exit in 2 miles).

Sorry what was that ? Did you just call me by extent, and a lot of people in this forum, idiots ? 

"Hurr durr Apple users stoopid huurr look at meh being interesting l if ya basicully dont use Google you all stoopid hurr"

608591Sanstitre.png

Numero Uno my friend

I also can't hear you over the awesome build quality of my Macbook, the superb stability of OSX, and the fact that my old iPad 2 is still running up to date software since 2011

Also i'm not stupid so make that 90% a 89.999% 

/thread

Great, but I'll stick to Google Maps. I've actually had Apple maps try multiple times to lead me through a gated dirt path, or have me make a left over the emergency crossover on a busy parkway. Google Maps, thusfar, has never lead me wrong.

Also, Google Maps telling you which turning lane to use based upon where your next turn is is super helpful when you're driving in a new area.

CPU  5820k - 4.0GHz @ 1.27V  |  MOBO X99-Pro  |  RAM 16GB Ballistic @ 2133MHz  |  PSU HX750i 

COOLING  Kraken X61 - 6x NF-A14 iPPC  |  DRIVES  256GB 950 Pro - 2x 1TB Travelstar - 1x 1TB WD Black

GPU  EVGA GTX980 SC |  CASE  R5  |  OS  Win 8.1 Pro  |  MISC   Cablemod C-Series White Set

so that is what this is.

mcSfMHO.jpg

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

608591Sanstitre.png

I also can't hear you over the awesome build quality of my Macbook, the superb stability of OSX.

Aww Yeah, I'm #2!

But seriously, I can't hear him over the [slightly less] awesome build quality of my Surface 3, the surprisingly superb stability of Windows 10. 

I use all of Microsoft's services whole-hartedly. I know they're not the best {outlook, Bing, Bing Maps, Modern Apps, Windows Phone app support, you get the point} but I still use them. So kudos to Apple for taking on Google's bloated services with this new project. I tried to use all of Google's services, but since I have a Windows Phone, I literally can't. Google makes sure that their services don't work with WP. They even went out of their way to get rid of the YouTube app. And ever since they bought Waze, my Waze app hasn't seen a single update, it's sickening. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

so that is what this is.

Yup. While Apple may be working on a car of their own, all those vans are going around getting fairly detailed scans of the roads and even more data for their maps. 

Aww Yeah, I'm #2!

But seriously, I can't hear him over the [slightly less] awesome build quality of my Surface 3, the surprisingly superb stability of Windows 10. 

Oh look, an idiot whos joined mid convo, hear's a few words then start's sprouting drivel based off of them. Get some context then reply logically instead of just repeating other's words that are off point making you look like a bigger idiot.

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530