Apple WWDC 2015: Official Thread

SamNeedham123

Like you said he's a very big name, possibly the biggest name in modern music. He may not appeal to the WWDC crowd or us on LTT but his support for Apple Music is going to be huge for the majority of people Apple is targeting with their new music app.

Drake is a known quantity. People like to think all these other bands or artists are more important, but Drake fronts one of the most profitable NBA teams in the league, his music is world known and he himself is just a plain well known person. Thats the kind of person you want fronting your new product, cause he gets everyones attention even if his music isn't as well received. 

yeah, apple is good at picking big names, like the itunes music store was released with U2 being the first official band/name on it, which increased hype, expectations and gave lots of media attention because u2 was one of the biggest at that given time.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

if this is true, that's a fucking first for apple

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

if this is true, that's a fucking first for apple

yes it would be indeed, altough it would be required if they want to ensure a succesfull platform, if true it might turn out rather interesting

and its confirmed coming to android, a first also windows which is also a first since icloud which i don't know when was that they added that to itunes

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Ugh now the music industry is going to have more exclusives than consoles... will hold final judgement until I try it, but it seems like they are trying to do too much with the app. All I want is to search and stream songs, download them and make playlists.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

That family plan, up to 6 people for just 15 bucks a month.  :D

i like how they decide to grab a really thick and old laptop to demo windows while using the new macbook

apple-wwdc-2015_2588.jpg

Except Windows users aren't enjoying the features either. If Apple's graph was true, 93% of Windows users aren't on the latest version :/

But come the 29th and that'll change in a big way.

- snip-

I felt the music part took longer than it should've lol.

That and the watch demonstration too farr too long.

I'm actually really excited for iOS 9 and El Capitan even if I think it's a stupid name. 

the stream/event is over i guess?

still hyped for ios 9 though, gonna piss of someone that was allowed to shoot my 4s if i got a new phone

With your response I guess you care ?

If it ends up being a well maintained, thoroughly updated thread as I'm sure it will be, who really cares?

TBF this is the shittyest thread i have seen on a major live stream like this, on LTT so far...@SamNeedham123 clearly just wants his name mentioned on the wan show......in all fairness the credit goes to @Victorious Secret he did far more than the op...what a waste, there are far better members for doing this kinda thing on here who, you know, actually cover the live stream!

apple have made some big announcements and i am impressed apple music going to android, swift going open source.  nice

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

TBF this is the shittyest thread i have seen on a major live stream like this, on LTT so far...@SamNeedham123 clearly just wants his name mentioned on the wan show......in all fairness the credit goes to @Victorious Secret he did far more than the op...what a waste, there are far better members for doing this kinda thing on here who, you know, actually cover the live stream!

i got to agree with this ALOT, @Victorious Secret took the trouble to make screenshots and upload them while giving background info of what it said, while OP, @SamNeedham123 , gave it's opinion a few times, based on taht it would be impossible for me to figure out what was happening, if it wasn't for victorious, i would have been lost very early and this topic would have failed

WWDC-2014-Mac.jpg

Apple WWDC 2015: Overview

So, we saw several new things from Apple this year's Keynote for WWDC, let's take a look at what's new...

Mac OSX 10.11 'El Capitan'

Apple made it known that the new version of Mac OSX would be called 'El Capitan', which confirms our suspicions that they've moved away from the big cat generation of OS names. However, we saw several nice, new features within. Some of these include:

- New Swipe Commands & Tabs within the Mail App.

- Pinned Sites & Tab Mute Function within Safari.

- Improvements to Spotlight with new a new User Interface and features such as Natural Language Search.

- Mission Control has been greatly improved, now being smoother, cleaner and better optimized.

- Side-by-Side Window Management is now an integrated feature in OSX.

- Many performance improvements made.

- Metal for OSX. Improved rendering performance by 50% and 40% improved rendering efficiency as well as 10x performance improvements in games.

There will be a Public Beta that is released in July with a free, full release in the Autumn.

iOS 9

iOS 9 is more of a face lift compared to the extensive updates that both iOS 7 and iOS 8 were. One thing that many will rejoice about is the fact that the iOS 9 Download File will be only 1.3GB! Let's take a look at some of the new features...

- General improvements to Siri.

- Quicktype Keyboard, with a tool bar for different features/tools (eg. Cut, Copy, Paste).

- Multitasking has a new UI as well as new gestures for side-by-side app viewing (iPad only).

- Unknown Phone Numbers will attempt to be identified by E-Mail Contact Details.

- Spotlight is heavily improved with a new User Interface and API Search.

- Will automatically note in calendar any invitations you receive.

- Offers most common Apps depending on which you use at certain times of day.

- Battery optimizations made in iOS 9.

- Large improvements to Apple CarPlay.

- Variety of improvements to Maps App, with the introduction of "Transit".

- New App called 'News', that allows you to personalize what stories you want to know.

- Swift will now be open source.

Unlike OSX 'El Capitan', we was provided a list of compatible devices for iOS 9 - these are: iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini, iPad Mini 2, iPad Mini 3, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and iPod Touch 5th Generation. The Public Beta will be available in July, with the Full Release coming in the Autumn.

Apple Pay

Apple Pay was also discussed during the Keynote, although there wasn't quite as much to talk about. Still, this is an overall roundup of what's being planned:

- Expansion of Apple Pay to the United Kingdom. Introduction coming in July!

- The 'Passbook' App is now known as 'Wallet'.

- Apple Pay will include support for Store Cars, Loyalty Cards and Rewards Cards.

WatchOS

WatchOS launched alongside the introduction of the Apple Watch and is set to receive its first major update. Some of the new features include:

- Introduction of Native Apps for WatchOS.

- Timepiece includes a variety of new watch faces (such as PhotoFace) with Complications.

- Wallet will become a usable feature within WatchOS.

- Siri is more advanced and works alongside your iPhone.

- Your Apple Watch will remain paired with your iPhone as long as they're on the same Wifi Network.

The Developer Beta will be available today (8th June 2015) with the Full Release becoming available in the Autumn.

Apple Music

Apple Music is probably the thing that people have been most intrigued about, here's what you need to know:

- It's designed to be a 'Revolutionary Music Service'.

- A 24/7 Global Radio Station called Beats1 will be available with Ex-Radio 1 Presenter, Zane Lowe.

- Search & Stream Music from iTunes within the Music App.

"For You" is a personalized selection of music based on songs/artists that you listen to.

"New" allows you to discover new songs/artists as well as new Chart Music.

"Connect"  allows the Artist to connect with fans, and for them to Like and Comment on the Artist's Posts.

- New Mini PLayer within the Music App on iOS will show when music is playing.

Apple Music shall be launching on Tuesday 30th June 2015 for Mac OSX, iOS, Microsoft Windows and Android. It will cost $9.99 per month or $14.99 for families of up to 6 people. However, Apple are providing Apple Music for FREE for the first 3 months (although we believe this offer will not be lasting too long).

So, that's about all you need to know from this year's Keynote for the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference 2015. This year mainly was home to Software Updates and developments in Music compared to the last few years with the introduction of the Apple Watch and Mac Pro. Still, let's wait for the Apple Worldwide Consumers Conference to see what they have to offer us!

i got to agree with this ALOT, @Victorious Secret took the trouble to make screenshots and upload them while giving background info of what it said, while OP, @SamNeedham123 , gave it's opinion a few times, based on taht it would be impossible for me to figure out what was happening, if it wasn't for victorious, i would have been lost very early and this topic would have failed

I agree. opinion should have been in general discussion.

Sadly, the policy of the forum is first come first serve, which is something I am against and favor quality posts, but I understand the decision making (subjective, and mods needs to check all posts, and it becomes a bit of pain to track, and what if someone does a really good news post and start merging posts to it, and then someone goes even beyond... do you merge who to with who). It is a problem we know about, but finding a solution is not easy.

Well, I may have not been the most active person during the Keynote but if you'd take the time to view the overview I spent my time creating, then I hope this deals with your issues.  :)

I literally had left an Apple interview today. First WWDC I've missed in 10 years. Very excited to see optimization prioritized. And native window snapping means I no longer have to use the app I've been using for years. 

I agree. opinion should have been in general discussion.

Sadly, the policy of the forum is first come first serve, which is something I am against and favor quality posts, but I understand the decision making (subjective, and mods needs to check all posts, and it becomes a bit of pain to track, and what if someone does a really good news post and start merging posts to it, and then someone goes even beyond... do you merge who to with who). It is a problem we know about, but finding a solution is not easy.

i understand, it is sometimes just as annoying as helpfull, the rules that is, it could be alterd in such way that quality content goes first, but that doesnt make it easier since everyone has it's own barrier and limit's on what's good looking and what not, it would also make moderation harder and more complicated for users with more rules.

Not worth running some janky stream, use this:

Please note that the live stream url may appear broken until it is has started. Refresh the stream when the video has begun (at 10am PDT or 1:00 pm ET) and everything should work fine.

@SamNeedham123 here is the additional stream for your OP, for those not on iOS/OSX devices 

I'm not talking stream. I'm talking the final video that they upload after a while.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Looks like my iPad 2 will last one more year. I REALLY need a better tablet.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I agree. opinion should have been in general discussion.Sadly, the policy of the forum is first come first serve, which is something I am against and favor quality posts, but I understand the decision making (subjective, and mods needs to check all posts, and it becomes a bit of pain to track, and what if someone does a really good news post and start merging posts to it, and then someone goes even beyond... do you merge who to with who). It is a problem we know about, but finding a solution is not easy.

I see 2 ways around this

1 have a grace period for new news posts so that the best thread with in 15 minuets of the first thread on a topic

OR

2 only allow certain members to post news topics

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017