Bell Media: Using VPNs to watch US Netflix elsewhere is stealing

Aniallation

do we need to update the COC to fit these new rules in ?

im serious

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

They're right, but it's not like anyone will stop and its not like anyone will really care.

Actually,

charging EU customers more for less content, THAT'S STEALING!

I have never, and will never, pay to rent/ stream anything on the internet until regional licensing circlejerk is dead. And even then, I'll wait for a DRM-free digital download service. THEN I'll pay up. I have too much other entertainment to lower my standards.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Thats why my friend you dont go full retard and pay for VPN and Netflix and still be illegal, theres torrents for a reason.

As long the industry rejects you a Canadian media watcher for no reason,its very obvious they can deliver content to you too but they dont want to because they want shady business practices to rip off more, you have the right to torrent. Im going to get insulted for that statement hahaha.

I hate geo blocking, I wanna be able to watch Hulu Plus without using a private paid DNS. But honestly, its not stealing, you paid for something that you should of gotten, instead you get 20 Year old shows, that you've already watched.

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

After reading this thread i think Linus needs to do some sort of "As fast as possible" style video for Geo-Blocking and the reasons why it exist and why it is both good and bad.

Its something that everyone should understand, especially because i know Linus has spoken about piracy and its affect on both content makers and content distributors.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Or, you know, work together on implementing a global license. Kappa that will never happen, due to publishers bitching about how much money will be lost.

Or, you know, work together on implementing a global license. Kappa that will never happen, due to publishers bitching about how much money will be lost.

That and youtube becoming the main source of entertainment for people instead of tv and movies. Trust me traditional tv subscriptions will keep declining and even at an exponential rate as time goes on

-------

Current Rig

-------

Yes it is wrong to use a VPN to view content on Netflix you are not supposed to have access to.  Simple as that.  

Now in regards to commerce and money ...

Die!

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

As a former Bell customer they can go fuck themselves.

Agreed. They seem to be slowly raising the prices of their services on my family's bill while the prices advertised online remain constant. They claim the advertised prices are for new customers; I read all the fine print and they won't show me where they claim it says so. Gonna switch providers shortly.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

Used to subscribe to Netflix and had to use a VPN to get any decent content. Even still the US Netflix is meh. Half the stuff I want to watch is not available.

Found another way to stream pretty much anything any time for free, so I canceled Netflix. :P

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

If Canadian Netflix didn't suck balls people wouldn't proxy to get US Netflix.

Once again a distribution/availability problem!

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Bell can go away, no one likes them anyway.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Well of course it's illegal. You are breaking the copyright just like when you download a movie. You can't just go "well I know TV channel 4 owns this program in my country but in China there is a cheaper TV station that airs it so I'll pay for that and then download the movie", which is essentially what you are doing when you access US NetFlix through a VPN.

It should be just as illegal as flat out pirating the movie.

But with all that being said, it is only illegal because our current content distribution models are infected with cancer such as DRM and geo-blocking. What we really need is some serious surgery to remove the huge throbbing tumor that is DRM before we start shooting the messenger (which in this case is Bell).

The whole point of a VPN is to hide the source IP so......yeah.

Well not really... A lot of VPNs certainly get used for that these days but it is not what they are intended for. A VPN doesn't even hide your IP, just the content you are up/downloading (assuming the VPN is encrypted, which not all of them are).

I just bought a shirt from the US........ is that stealing too?

This is the same as being a racist but you are discriminating against people who live in other countries.

I just bought a shirt from the US........ is that stealing too?

If a store in your country and bought exclusive rights to that particular shirt where you live, and you were breaching the terms of service of the US store when you ordered then yes. Or well, it wouldn't be stealing but it would probably still be illegal.

This is the same as being a racist but you are discriminating against people who live in other countries.

Ehhh no... This is not at all like being racist.

You missed the part where this woman snitched on her daughter, who was using a VPN to watch U.S. Netflix.

I-dont-want-to-live-on-this-planet-anymo

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Location locked content is BS and unacceptable if its over the fucking internet.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE