Bell Media: Using VPNs to watch US Netflix elsewhere is stealing

Aniallation

we don't take away from them do we?

they don't miss out on revenue, profit or objects do they?

then how the heck can it be considerd stealing? its just adjusting your position to gain content, satelite TV idea basically but now through the internet!

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Agreed. They seem to be slowly raising the prices of their services on my family's bill while the prices advertised online remain constant. They claim the advertised prices are for new customers; I read all the fine print and they won't show me where they claim it says so. Gonna switch providers shortly.

That's stupid. I was with Bell but switched as soon as I found out that Rogers was available in my area. Bell is the money whore of Canada. I was paying $80/month for 120GB of usage, and 0.5 down / 0.02 up (on DSL). Rogers I pay $110/month for unlimited usage, and 250 down / 20 up (cable), and currently my family uses at least 400GB a month. Fiber optic just came to my street but they want me to pay $76/month for 250GB of usage, and 50 down / 10 up. Also, they wouldn't do anything when I was paying $80/month for a plan that's worth $20. Fuck Bell, they also fucked with my grandpa by sending a technician to his house on the wrong date (was suppose to be on like May 2 but he came May 1) and went into their unlocked house (cottage) without permission. Took my grandpa several hours to tell Bell that they did something illegal and that he doesn't their services anymore.

He isn't wrong.

When you pay for Netflix in Canada you pay for Canadian licensing. Not American licensing. Same for other regions. why? Each area has different restrictions from studios. Netflix has ZERO say in this. They do have an obligation to enforce those contracts because the studios will sanction them for not. 

You have a problem with this? Take it up with all the major studios. Not with Bell or Netflix, they're the ones who are on the receiving end of the bullshit from studios. Where do you think the real power is when it comes to licensing? ISPs? Netflix? Hah. Hollywood lawyers will tear them a new one for violating those agreements. 

Yep, any time you violate terms of service, or an end user licensing agreement you are technically stealing something.

Don't like it?  Then don't agree to abide by the terms in the first place.

That is the only thing businesses understand - a lack of customers.

we don't take away from them do we?

they don't miss out on revenue, profit or objects do they?

then how the heck can it be considerd stealing? its just adjusting your position to gain content, satelite TV idea basically but now through the internet!

But you are. The reason a lot of NetFlix movies are not in your regions version of NetFlix is because other channels has bought the rights to it for your country.

Imagine this.

A TV channel in Sweden have the exclusive rights to South Park for the entire country of Sweden. They have paid a big sum of money for this and now every swede who wants to watch South Park has to do it on let's say channel 5. I can't just go "well Comedy Central in the US has the episode and that costs less, so I'll just send Comedy Central a check and then pirate South Park that someone ripped from their channel because I don't want to watch the Swedish channel 5". That is essentially what you are doing when you get NetFlix through a VPN.

You are violating the copyright because you are circumventing a DRM designed to shut you out and get your video from somewhere else.

Geo-blocking is really stupid and shouldn't exist, but it is still illegal to circumvent it for the same reasons it is illegal to pirate a game for example.

But you are. The reason a lot of NetFlix movies are not in your regions version of NetFlix is because other channels has bought the rights to it for your country.

Imagine this.

A TV channel in Sweden have the exclusive rights to South Park for the entire country of Sweden. They have paid a big sum of money for this and now every swede who wants to watch South Park has to do it on let's say channel 5. I can't just go "well Comedy Central in the US has the episode and that costs less, so I'll just send Comedy Central a check and then pirate South Park that someone ripped from their channel because I don't want to watch the Swedish channel 5". That is essentially what you are doing when you get NetFlix through a VPN.

You are violating the copyright because you are circumventing a DRM designed to shut you out and get your video from somewhere else.

Geo-blocking is really stupid and shouldn't exist, but it is still illegal to circumvent it for the same reasons it is illegal to pirate a game for example.

well, the major problem here (netherlands) is that there is that we have netflix and some smaller things which feature soaps/series from dutch TV channels only(which suck) which blows pretty a big hole in the content we have, making VPNs the closest thing to legal watching series sometimes.

which pretty much comes down to what you said, altough money isnt really a factor since the VPN is the only way to watch it in a kind of legal manner(compared to piracy)

but yeah, geoblocking is a bitch, i wonder when they realise 1 world, 1 release date for content would better

i have stopped responding have thou not seen? :P

was only a suggestion ;)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

That's stupid. I was with Bell but switched as soon as I found out that Rogers was available in my area. Bell is the money whore of Canada. I was paying $80/month for 120GB of usage, and 0.5 down / 0.02 up (on DSL). Rogers I pay $110/month for unlimited usage, and 250 down / 20 up (cable), and currently my family uses at least 400GB a month. Fiber optic just came to my street but they want me to pay $76/month for 250GB of usage, and 50 down / 10 up. Also, they wouldn't do anything when I was paying $80/month for a plan that's worth $20. Fuck Bell, they also fucked with my grandpa by sending a technician to his house on the wrong date (was suppose to be on like May 2 but he came May 1) and went into their unlocked house (cottage) without permission. Took my grandpa several hours to tell Bell that they did something illegal and that he doesn't their services anymore.

Ya, they blow... Switching ASAP.

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

If a store in your country and bought exclusive rights to that particular shirt where you live, and you were breaching the terms of service of the US store when you ordered then yes. Or well, it wouldn't be stealing but it would probably still be illegal.

Ehhh no... This is not at all like being racist.

Racism consists of ideologies and practices that justify or cause the unequal distribution of privileges, rights or goods.

So maybe I should have said similar.

Come on, you have to be an idiot to compare throwing garbage to using an VPN.

Why doesn't people understand how the Internet works.

My parents watch Netflix my friend also does, but my friend uses a VPN because yeah, there's more stuff on the US Netflix.

It's not that they don't understand the Internet. It's just too many idiots don't understand how licensing works. These idiots just want to say "fuck you" to local licensing companies. Self entitled assholes are what they are. But most of them are teenagers, so can't really blame. Them for being idiots.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Racism consists of ideologies and practices that justify or cause the unequal distribution of privileges, rights or goods.

So maybe I should have said similar.

That is not what racism means. Racism means:

"Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior".

It does not have anything to do with privileges, or goods/services.

NetFlix not offering a certain movie in one country is not at all like racism. They are worlds apart. Don't trivialize horrible things please.

It's not that they don't understand the Internet. It's just too many idiots don't understand how licensing works. These idiots just want to say "fuck you" to local licensing companies. Self entitled assholes are what they are. But most of them are teenagers, so can't really blame. Them for being idiots.

Tell that to people using a VPN to watch Netflix, I don't really watch it.

Also, I wouldn't call them idiots, ignorant sure, not idiots, there's a difference between those words.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

As long as geo-blocking still exists, Netflix/Hulu/Crunchyroll etc will never be able to stamp out a significant portion of piracy.  For example, I was watching One Piece in the US at home, and then when I traveled to Hong Kong, I couldn't watch it.  So I had to go out and...well watch it in another way, instead of what I really wanted to do which was watch it legit.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

That is not what racism means. Racism means:

"Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior".

It does not have anything to do with privileges, or goods/services.

NetFlix not offering a certain movie in one country is not at all like racism. They are worlds apart. Don't trivialize horrible things please.

So you are saying that they are not discriminating? I dont think so.

This is another example of terrible distribution. Those people clearly WANT to pay for US Netflix, but they aren't even allowed to without a vpn. (Yes, I know why it has to be that way. Different distribution companies have the rights to movies in different countries. But it doesn't change the fact that I don't like it.) Piss poor distribution has to be the leading cause of piracy.

So you are saying that they are not discriminating? I dont think so.

Even if it was (it's not) discrimination it wouldn't be racism because the "discrimination" is not based on race. Nationality and race are two different things.

Even if it was (it's not) discrimination it wouldn't be racism because the "discrimination" is not based on race. Nationality and race are two different things.

Yes that is why i said similar.

Yeah, and letting people pay a lot of money for some crappy stuff that you don't upgrade, but should be. isn't?

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon