Microsoft begins advertising Windows 10 to Windows 7 and 8 users

A user on reddit has posted a screenshot of what appears to be the advert that will pop-up on the notification tray (next to the clock) for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users promoting the upcoming free upgrade to Windows 10 when you click on it.

rJMieO6.png

It is expected to start appearing on people systems running Windows 7 and 8 in the coming weeks.

A user on reddit has today posted a screenshot of what appears to be the first adverts for Windows 7 and Windows 8 users promoting the upcoming free upgrade to Windows 10. The adverts appear in notification form via the taskbar, and allows users to 'reserve' their free upgrade to Windows 10, meaning once Windows 10 is available it'll start downloading immediately via Windows Update.

The advertisement looks to be appearing for all users who installed the optional update KB3035583, which also allows Windows 10 to actually install when it's available via WU. So if you want the advertisement to go away, that's the update you need to uninstall. Millions of existing Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 users will start seeing these notifications over the coming weeks, hopefully convincing users to upgrade to Windows 10.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/microsoft-begins-advertising-windows-10-windows-87-users-notifications-can-now-reserve-free

Did you get this notification?

so. a hassle free OS switch with files still on the machine ? nice

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I still have not seen this notification.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

for those that doesn't give a damn about it, you can remove it by uninstalling update KB3035583

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I was just about to start writing a post about this. Beat by 3 mins. :P

In related news people who are running Insider Preview are expected to get RTM code before the official launch due the fact that the Insider Program will continue even after launch. Ars explains below.

This means that the stream of preview releases will continue even after launch. The previews aren't merely a feature of the beta period; instead, Microsoft will be offering early access to Windows 10 features on an ongoing basis. The "RTM" version is a point-in-time snapshot of Windows 10's development. It should be a stable, production-ready snapshot, but it's a snapshot all the same. The process that created it will continue.

The new approach to releasing also means that users of the Insider Preview likely won't have to wait until the formal release date to get their hands on the RTM build. We'd expect that Microsoft will still have some kind of event or marketing blitz to mark the launch (and, with it, the availability of hardware with Windows 10 preinstalled), but Windows 10 should be in people's hands already.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/rumors-point-to-different-kind-of-launch-for-windows-10-in-july/

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

i want this but i dont have... i cry

I wanted to uninstall that update but I don't have it.  triple-checked all the numbers.  Windows update says my system is completely up to date except for the browser. 

Perhaps it's only for people who have more recent versions of IE (can't be bothered to update a browser I never used to begin with) or those who receive updates for all Microsoft applications? 

I have the update on both of my computers and haven't seen this yet.

Lord of Helium.

that's a great idea on how to inform the uninformed public. And hassle-free too!

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

What if you need to reinstall Windows 8 again after you updated to Windows 10 and changed CPU and motherboard?

CPU AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0GHzCooling AMD StockMotherboard AsRock 970 Extreme4RAM 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz GPU AMD Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-XCase Fractal Define R5 Titanium 

Storage Samsung 120GB 840 EVO | PSUThermaltake Litepower 600WOS Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Upgrading to - Intel i7 - New motherboard - Corsair AIO H110i GT watercooler -  1000W PSU

I have a legit copy of windows 7.

How can I do a clean install of windows 10 via USB using my existing product key?

Yeah, only noticed this when I saw this thread. I want W10 NAO!

I have a legit coy of windows 7.

How can I do a clean install of windows 10 via USB using my existing product key?

Pretty sure they've said you will be able to update via ISO, so you can do a clean install.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

Best believe I resevred my copy as soon as it showed up for me. Wonder what negligible benefit this got me.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

I just noticed this and immediately went to this site for answers. I thought it released! Ah crap too much tech stuff at once. 980ti, I upgraded to triple monitors, and now I have to reinstall crap to upgrade to win10. Damnit this is fun and stressful.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Windows 8.1 here and I have yet to get this pop up....

My Rig: i5 3570K, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H, 8 GB Ram, Gigabyte Radeon HD 7950, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB WD Blue HDD, Corsair CX 750M, Hyper Evo 212, Fractal R4 (Black Pearl)

Set Up: 2 X 21.5 Asus VE228 (1920 x 1080), Razer Deathadder 2014, Max Knighthawk X9 (Cherry Reds)

Just got the notice on my file server after downloading the optional KB updates.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Haven't got the update yet. Can't wait to see what it's like. Though it's probably not that drastic, I like new things haha. xP

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Just noticed mine now, reserved a copy on both my Surface Pro and Desktop.

Every topic I post in dies.

So when I get my notification that Windows 10 is ready, will I have various options on how to install it? I would assume they'd give me options for upgrade and clean install. i want a clean install on my Surface Pro.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

So when I get my notification that Windows 10 is ready, will I have various options on how to install it? I would assume they'd give me options for upgrade and clean install. i want a clean install on my Surface Pro.

For pre-build systems, Win10 will override the recovery image. So your Surface Pro recovery image will be Windows 10, not 8.

If you wan4 the original, I suggest to download now the recovery image from Microsoft website of your Surface Pro

i just noticed this on my notification bar and came here to post this. i'm actually kinda looking forward to W10, and not just because of DX12. :huh: