Microsoft begins advertising Windows 10 to Windows 7 and 8 users

While I appreciate the notification I'm going to be getting called by a whole lot of people over the next few weeks while at work thinking it's a virus.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

I've never gotten any notification about win10 ever...I imagine cause I joined the early adopters program thingy they are like ya this guy already knows about it.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Reservation? Didn't they say if you buy windows 7 and 8 before release you would just be able to upgrade....? 

Digital distribution keys do run out on launches occasionally. They also need to get statistics on how equipped their servers will need to be among other things.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Q:

What happens if it is necessary to do a Factory Reset

A:

if you will do a factory reset then you will have to upgrade to 8.1 first and then only you will be able to install Windows 10. To install Windows 10, you should have Windows 8.1 installed on your computer.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/what-happens-if-it-is-necessary-to-do-a-factory/51f152db-9ca1-46f6-9e27-9613c49e5272

This sucks =(

Opened this thread to post that I don't have it yet but it just sneaked it's way into the task bar as I started typing:

screenlttxfotu.jpg

Just saw this about 10 minutes ago on my rig, signed up for the notification, and I'll see if I can do a clean install when it gets downloaded, cause I don't like doing upgrade installs, they very rarely work properly in my experience.

I'll wait for reviews though before I do commit to installing, I tried the preview, but that isn't exactly indicitive of the final product, so I'll hang fire until I've seen the full hands on of the RTM version.

I do wish that the icon in the tray would go away once you've signed up for the email notification though, it's still in my notification tray and it's bugging me a little bit, not enough to make me rage, but definitely noticable enough to get under my skin.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Digital distribution keys do run out on launches occasionally. They also need to get statistics on how equipped their servers will need to be among other things.

thanks for the level headed response, I didn't need captain know it all from last quote expecting me to just know things I don't know. 

read my messages in a gleeful tone. 

Reservation? Didn't they say if you buy windows 7 and 8 before release you would just be able to upgrade....?

Yes. I think the reservation is just a formality thing so they can anticipate day 1 server load.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I already reserved my copy for my laptop, but weirdly enough I don't see the logo on my PC. Does anyone know if a copy or rather a key I got through my university (through the Microsoft DreamSpark program) is seen as legitimate? It should be, right?

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

I'll be going with clean install. So going to skip this  ^_^

Laptop: Acer V3-772G  CPU: i5 4200M GPU: GT 750M SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB
DesktopCPU: R7 1700x GPU: RTX 2080 SSDSamsung 860 Evo 1TB 

Yup, got it on my 8.1 machine but nothing yet on my Win7. Not sure how it will appear on Win7 but I hope it does soon! I am really considering upgrading. Though I will have to do a clean install i hate that because i know they will say my key doesn't exist

*this was directing OP's question haha

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Can't wait :D

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

Reserved on my desktop [W7] the notification has not appeared on my laptop [W8.1].

Lord of Helium.

Free OS upgrade pre-order auto ad. :huh:

Yeah, I got it and I did it. Still seems a little weird to me.

Honestly I was kinda hoping to have to wipe my drive in order to upgrade so I can finally clean up some old files. Oh well. Guess I'll just have to do things the easy way. 

Here is a list of common fallacies. Which ones have you used today?

Can't wait :)
It already is great, more time for polishing till full release and than a clean install :D

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I just got it when I turned my PC on this morning! http://puu.sh/i8vd3/99b19c572d.png

So at this point, I was thinking to just wait after it comes out and see how reviews are. I figured that /r/pcgaming, /r/pcmasterrace, TotalBiscuit, etc. and of course, HERE, would post reactions, and that would decide whether or not I put it on my main PC or wait until they fix it. But now I'm just confused at what to do xD

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

It's just so they can make a line so that their servers don't crap out how hard is it to understand that.

Right so it's for people wanting to upgrade right on the 29th though I think you'll still run into troubles and it's not like we have a DirectX12 out right now and we must have the OS by the 29th. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Incase anyone was wondering, I just got the notification today, when I got home from school, here's some pics;

http://imgur.com/a/lmT45#0

I don't know if anyone else has seen this before or not so I decided to post it anyways.

Gaming Rig - Excalibur - CPU: i5 6600k @ 4.1GHz, CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo, Mobo: MSI Gaming M3 RAM: 16GB Corsair @2400MHz, GPU: EVGA 1060, Case: NZXT Phantom Full Tower (Red)

My Virtualization Server - Dell R710: 2x X5570s @ 2.93GHz with 32GB DDR3 RAM [Web Server, OSX, Plex, Reverse Proxy]

I love computers, gaming, coding, and photography! Be sure to quote me so I can respond to your post!

Should I be reserving the free upgrade on all my computers (3)? Also would a clean install be better on my main PC (has a lot of stuff I use)?

Also how do I know if I reserved it on all my PC's if I use the same email for all of them?

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10