How many hours per day should a PC be on?

alertalbert

Twenty-four hours a day (:

Folding a lot of the time because I can.

Sig under construction.

The only reason I see for people not turning off their pc when they aren't going to be using for a few hours is that they either don't pay for their own electricity, or it doesn't cost much

Exactly, why leave it on if u aint on it. Jist wasting money no matter how much it is u pay for any elec. used.

Ive always been turning my pc off before sleep or anytime i leave for more than an hour.

Never made my HDD fail nor any other component for that matter.

Very high number of forum members doesnt care about energy saving...

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I won't tell you how often to use your PC, but if you're constantly spinning the hard drives up and down(if you have any), you're straining the spindle. My PC is normally on 24/7.

I would have to disagree with you on that one. I've been turning off and shutting down my computers for years, and I've never had a drive failure. It's probably better to shut the computer down if you are not going to be using it for hours on end. Plus, you'll save a little on your power bill.

I would have to disagree with you on that one. I've been turning off and shutting down my computers for years, and I've never had a drive failure. It's probably better to shut the computer down if you are not going to be using it for hours on end. Plus, you'll save a little on your power bill.

I didn't say something would inherently fail. I just said it strains the spindle and it does. Spinning the platters up and down puts stress on the spindle.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

24 hours a day, I rarely reboot my PC and almost never turn it off except for upgrades. Modern computers are fine to run 24/7 for a few years at a time. I think our one computer has been o for 3 years or so thanks to the UPS.

Nah, as long as you don't have serious overclocks, overvolting, overheating and stuff you'll be fine for a long time. It's not a console :P

The only thing you should really be keeping an eye on if you're safe elsewhere is your HDD. Even then it should take at least a couple years for it to start failing. That's sort of the nature of HDDs though.

I have yet to see anyone degrade a CPU to the point of it not working from overclocking.  I have seen a few people kill CPU's before, but it was out of their own stupidity like putting 1.8v through their chip without Ln2/ Dry ice.

I'm not sure why people on this forum think going over 1.35v means your chip is going to die in a year.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

but if you're constantly spinning the hard drives up and down(if you have any)

What do you mean by this?

|  Athlon 750K   |   EVGA GTX 750 Ti FTW  |  Acer Aspire E15 - i5 6200u, 940M  |

|  Sennheiser HD 518   |   FiiO E10K DAC and Amp  |

Moto G (1st Gen)

Assuming your PC doesn't have any heat issues and isn't overclocked leaving it on 24/7 shoudlnt be a problem unless you have the cheapest components you could afford. i leave my PC on basically all the time and i fold on it when I'm idle and I don't worry about it randomly dieing not to mention i'm overclocked.

What do you mean by this?

This might help you.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

If you have mechanical hard drives, turning them off and on plenty of times shortens their lifespan.

If you only use SSD, there's no need to worry about such thing, turning it on and off 20 times a day or once a year it should be the same.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

assuming you have a normal environment (no vibrations, no abnormal heat humidity sources, etc. Then 24/7 is fine). 

Mine has been 24/7 since i bought it. (3 years) open air case, 6 fans moderate OC. The only thing i had to replace is some coolers (cheap ones though).