Macbook 12" Retina Early 2015

Hi Linus et al,

I enjoyed the review and I decided to watch it again as I feel much of what was talked about, while relevant, didn't get to using the product other than typing. I'd like to see a bit more in depth in terms of reviewing this product how it would be used and how it performs in said uses, such as casual gaming, photo editing via iPhoto, movie making via iMovie, or any other activity available with the included "i" software (do they even call it iLife anymore?). 

The MacBook 12" is clearly not a production machine, nor is it a gaming machine. And based on price, it's now more than an entry level machine which is what it's historically been as the target audience was typically students and non-power users. 

I think some points to the review could be added pertaining to performance and possibly even battery life when it comes to how the machine handles tasks such as minute photo editing or movie making/editing via Apple's software: iMovie, iPhoto (if the latter is even worth noting since I'm unsure how much and how intensive the "editing" is with iPhoto). I realize that would be entering into realm of a software review more than hardware but it is still a factor when considering how long the MacBook would take to render a home movie project and how much battery is sucked away--and this is ideally what the hobbyist/entry level Mac user could/would do and would be concerned with.

Also maybe comment on the gaming performance for non-AAA games, because those are probably right out. But with Steam for Mac, there are some games worth trying such as Shadowrun Returns.

Yes, the one-port issue is at the forefront and I agree that at the minimum, 2 USB 3 Type-C ports would have been smarter, but I think the video barely scratches the surface in terms of useability for tasks a consumer would perform. Obviously email/word processing is a no-brainer, but the machine should be capable of doing more complex tasks and be competitive with PC counterparts yes?

Can you expand on why the camera sucks?

Finally, do you think future iterations of the MacBook and/or the MacBook Pro will end up having the same port conundrum or will the Pro keep those handy ports with the addition of Type C and future MacBooks/Airs (assuming the Air 1. sticks around and 2. gets a similar port treatment as the MacBook) will have added ports as well? No one needs to pack their bag with a plethora of hubs--that I can agree with.

Keep up the excellent work.

I guess maybe I just can't quite get the pricing of it.

Price and Price to performance are not always important buying decisions, for somebody who doesn't run games/cad/4k editing, the macbooks are super fast and snappy

I didnt by my car because its economical, and I dont want a BMW 6 Series or Z4 because its practical, it will cost me more to buy, more to run etc, its because I have an emotional tie to it, it makes me feel better, either how it feels or looks or anything like that

Sure computers can be drawn down to "how much performance do I get for my money" but sometimes its nice to just own a sexy piece of equipment that makes you happy

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

but I think the video barely scratches the surface

Like most videos really, there is only so much that can be said in a short video, most products are never fully represented in review form especially by somebody who is completely not the target audience who will not give it the time or attention that a different product will get

That said the review was still good, I enjoyed it, and it was still some great work by LTT, honestly sometimes I wish they went more in depth, but then I dont want 48 hour long boring videos

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The experience on YouTube is still far superior than services like Vessel. All I want is a list of new videos from the people that I subscribe to, not some fancy layout with different sized videos from people that I'm not interested in. The only reason Vessel is making sense right now is the exclusives they have.

I feel Vessel's player is much better than Youtube's. There's no lag when pausing on Vessel, video quality changes instantly, and the whole website's layout is just better than Youtube.

I found it interesting how Linus said he forgot it wasn't a touchscreen and that he wishes it had one. Does anyone remember if he was pro-touchscreen earlier on too (when windows 8 came out). I remember most people thought the idea of a touchscreen laptop as unnecessary, whats the general opinion now?

Also, i think the utility of the Macbook will increase once more USB-C accessories (mice, card readers, phone cables, etc.) become the standard. And for now, if you're buying this laptop, its better to go for Bluetooth options. IMO i don't think the one port is too big of a deal, and it will get better with time but rather the price is just too high to justify the lack of performance. If it were around $500-700 (the price of a new Surface 3), it would be a good buy.

I feel touchscreens on a laptop are a gimmick and a workaround for the horrible trackpads that windows based laptops ship with. Why would you need to smudge up your screen when the trackpad can do more than you can with a touchscreen?

Call my crazy but I actually love the new macbook, was playing with it in the Apple store and fell in love immediately, though I would probably get a 13" retina pro instead

I would had preferred if the keyboard had more travel; it kinda felt like typing on buttons, like the volume buttons on the iPhone but not as stiff. Everytime I use a trackpad on a mac and then go back to my ultrabook, my ultrabook is unbearable to use. It's also sad how smooth safari is compared to Chrome. Even on the new Macbook, scrolling is perfectly silky smooth and on chrome with smooth scrolling extension, it has too much latency and it's just not as responsive.  

Like most videos really, there is only so much that can be said in a short video, most products are never fully represented in review form especially by somebody who is completely not the target audience who will not give it the time or attention that a different product will get

That said the review was still good, I enjoyed it, and it was still some great work by LTT, honestly sometimes I wish they went more in depth, but then I dont want 48 hour long boring videos

I agree with you but these videos that are reviews lend to swaying people on purchases and for that reason the video isn't complete enough as its neutral angle is somewhat negatively slanted via Linus' opinions of Apple as a whole (from my perception, but I will say it's good he even reviews Apple at all) (apple brings this on itself by virtue of 1 port, not counting the audio jack but still . . .).

He could have added 30 seconds or a minute expanding on some of the points I made: When rendering a video in iMovie it took blah seconds/minutes, and the software provides a bevy (or doesn't) of features for entry-level/hobbyist movie creators, casual games such as blah played well (or didn't), and battery life was/was not thoroughly consumed in a microsecond when doing a, b, c. It would have not taken much time to say just time to actually do prior to the video.

Video doesn't work. It says "This video is a duplicate of a previously uploaded video". Only way around it is to go to LinusTechTips channel and then click on that video.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

lol great video.  I would actually have to say it was restrained more than I expected.  I was hoping for a better flaming ;)

Also does anyone have a link to that crazy storm trooper video?

My reaction to the new MacBook is pretty close to his. Although, I have a bit more positive attitude towards it. It's neat. It's not the most useful computer (although far more useful than a tablet) but for most people it's fine, if expensive. Can't say I'd ever want one but I can see some of the appeal. That trackpad though they're using on it is an absolute gem though. 

Hi Linus

It's clear that this laptop isn't for you and yet you gave it a chance anyway, I applaud you for that. I do have a problem with the review however and it pertains to the snappy ending, were you concluded that using a 2015 Macbook means you're not in a hurry and don't have anything important to do. Hence, any computer that doesn't feature sufficient performance for gaming or video editing can't do important work? I like your videos and you guys do a good job generally, but I think that's a huge stretch and a bit mean-spirited.

Well, there's the new Vessel video about water cooling the MacBook. I, for one, think it'd be awesome if you guys actually attempted to create a working loop for the thing instead of just the ghetto setup you had there. Also, I might use it for one of my unibody laptops :P.

Fun fact: did you know that Apple once made computers with liquid cooled CPUs (yes, it's plural)? Certain PowerMac G5s, specifically June 2004 to Late 2005 had liquid cooled systems. Back in the days when Apple made a full sized tower and encouraged expandability.

Well, there's the new Vessel video about water cooling the MacBook. I, for one, think it'd be awesome if you guys actually attempted to create a working loop for the thing instead of just the ghetto setup you had there. Also, I might use it for one of my unibody laptops :P.

Fun fact: did you know that Apple once made computers with liquid cooled CPUs (yes, it's plural)? Certain PowerMac G5s, specifically June 2004 to Late 2005 had liquid cooled systems. Back in the days when Apple made a full sized tower and encouraged expandability.

I remember my original G3 Tower. I upgraded that thing with all sorts of goodies: New CPU (via a Sonnet Daughter Card), upgraded GPU (Some ATI Radieon Mac Edition), increased/upgraded the RAM to higher capacity, installed a better HDD, and put in a better Ethernet Card. Ahh the days. That case, even if beige, was pretty awesome for expand ability.

i think we need to sort something out about the mac after reading the comments on YouTube and the video :)

first of all apple is moving away form wired devices and if you have been following Intel then you should know they are in a process to make monitors wireless and such.

anyways back to Apple, they have only one port because that is the only thing you need, IF you are one of those folks who use Bluetooth mouse then the battery time is good and you can safely plug a adapter in and transfer files form you media with out worrying that the computer dies, and if you absolutely need it plugged in then fine you can get a adapter for that, but in the years to come people will start using cloud services or their own nas to get their media, and they don't need a adapter because they just download it form the wireless internet witch is getting faster and faster soon better than wires.

what apple is basically doing is giving us a glimpse of the future where we are heading, and if you cant accept it now, you will in time to come! :)

Even tho I obviously like wireless stuff over wired stuff for the hazard-less of it, I would never give up the OPTION of using cables in favor of purely cloud-based services, it is not smart to trust all your things to a third party that could or could not be working when you need it the most, and that is useless if you are not connected to the internet, not to mention that requires you to have a fast stable connection all the time, do I think it could be useful?, yes, but I don't feel comfortable giving up other options in favor of it, and I think most people feel like this, so even tho it could eventually be truth it will not happen any time soon.

Heck, even my $0.09 cent Pen can do more then your Pendo.

well then those people probably shouldn't buy it ;)

I don't buy a 2 seated convertible when I want to drive a family of 5 around the country ...

I think the main point in the discussion is that a device that costs 10 times less is more useful than this laptop, yes, the table is not running a desktop OS, it's not as powerful nor does it have the same storage capacity, but the fact is that the lack of I/O bottlenecks what you can do with the hardware, since you need to carry adapters around for everything, you cannot use this laptop for professional work without the adapters, you cannot use it for gaming since it's not THAT powerful, so you are basically left with only limited use, light web browsing and such things as mentioned, and those things you could do in much cheaper devices that are not much bulkier, or that are even less bulky maybe, if you are ok with that because it's fancy then cool, but the argument about usefulness is a very strong one to be made.

_________

Now my actual thoughts on this thing...well, yeah, it looks nice, it has a very nice screen and I bet it's really easy to carry around by itself, but I personally need WAY more than that to justify a price of 1500$, for that price I would expect to be able to game on this thing, to do work and do more intense tasks than what this thing can do, and personally, even tho I like small devices weight and thinness are not that big a factor for me, I would prefer to carry around heavier devices than to sacrifice functionality. 

Now my actual thoughts on this thing...well, yeah, it looks nice, it has a very nice screen and I bet it's really easy to carry around by itself, but I personally need WAY more than that to justify a price of 1500$, for that price I would expect to be able to game on this thing, to do work and do more intense tasks than what this thing can do, and personally, even tho I like small devices weight and thinness are not that big a factor for me, I would prefer to carry around heavier devices than to sacrifice functionality. 

There are quite a few near ultrabook gaming laptops around that have a very similar price to the Macbook, with the same build quality, way better specs (including I/O and a touchscreen), weight that isn't too much for carrying around and using on the go (anything over 2.5KG is too heavy and more of a notebook/desktop replacement IMO). Apple really can't justify the innards of a tablet crammed into an ultrabook for such a high price.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I think the main point in the discussion is that a device that costs 10 times less is more useful than this laptop, yes, the table is not running a desktop OS, it's not as powerful nor does it have the same storage capacity, but the fact is that the lack of I/O bottlenecks what you can do with the hardware, since you need to carry adapters around for everything, you cannot use this laptop for professional work without the adapters, you cannot use it for gaming since it's not THAT powerful, so you are basically left with only limited use, light web browsing and such things as mentioned, and those things you could do in much cheaper devices that are not much bulkier, or that are even less bulky maybe, if you are ok with that because it's fancy then cool, but the argument about usefulness is a very strong one to be made.

yeah ...

9cPeGzr.png

I guess you are to young to understand how professional work looks like or let's say what a college student needs.

By your definition pretty much all ultrabooks and subnotebooks, which have been around for decades are just useless and a craplet is more useful ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

There are quite a few near ultrabook gaming laptops around that have a very similar price to the Macbook, with the same build quality, way better specs (including I/O and a touchscreen), weight that isn't too much for carrying around and using on the go (anything over 2.5KG is too heavy and more of a notebook/desktop replacement IMO). Apple really can't justify the innards of a tablet crammed into an ultrabook for such a high price.

again ...

9cPeGzr.png

name one.

also ... innards of a tablet? are you crazy? x86 cpu, 512gb pcie ssd, 8gb ram, displayport (via usb) nothing tablet like about that ...

____

also a touchscreen in a laptop is just stupid (especially with a OS that was designed to use with keyboard and mouse trackpad ...

P1000506-X2-820x420.jpg

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

I remember my original G3 Tower. I upgraded that thing with all sorts of goodies: New CPU (via a Sonnet Daughter Card), upgraded GPU (Some ATI Radieon Mac Edition), increased/upgraded the RAM to higher capacity, installed a better HDD, and put in a better Ethernet Card. Ahh the days. That case, even if beige, was pretty awesome for expand ability.

You should really look at buying a G5. For as nice as the G3 (beige and not) and the G4 were, they were plastic. The G5 has, IMO, one of the sexiest cases ever. It's all brushed aluminum, and is almost the same as the old Mac Pros before the 2013 revamp. Plus, they're really cheap on Craigslist. I picked up one in near perfect condition for $90 plus a monitor for a higher end one, and a lower end one for $40. I'm considering putting a hackintosh inside one, but I'm not sure if I'll do it. I just hate tearing apart old systems.

You should really look at buying a G5. For as nice as the G3 (beige and not) and the G4 were, they were plastic. The G5 has, IMO, one of the sexiest cases ever. It's all brushed aluminum, and is almost the same as the old Mac Pros before the 2013 revamp. Plus, they're really cheap on Craigslist. I picked up one in near perfect condition for $90 plus a monitor for a higher end one, and a lower end one for $40. I'm considering putting a hackintosh inside one, but I'm not sure if I'll do it. I just hate tearing apart old systems.

That's a good idea. Does it has standard ATX standoffs and all that jazz?

One port wonder

3 tips to have a good time on the LTT forums | 1. When you reply to someone please quote them | 2. Please follow your threads | 3. Follow the C.o.C 

If you follow these 3 tips you should have a blast.

i'm rather proud of this for some reason. http://imgur.com/6ttS5XZ

That's a good idea. Does it has standard ATX standoffs and all that jazz?

Don't believe so; think you'll have to use a motherboard tray like http://www.mountainmods.com/mountain-mods-modular-removable-motherboard-tray-p-56.html. However, if you look online, there are hundreds if not thousands of different builds using the G5 case.

Then the only thing left would be to modernize the front ports to USB 3, 3.1 or C

Don't believe so; think you'll have to use a motherboard tray like http://www.mountainm...-tray-p-56.html. However, if you look online, there are hundreds if not thousands of different builds using the G5 case.

again ...

9cPeGzr.png

name one.

also ... innards of a tablet? are you crazy? x86 cpu, 512gb pcie ssd, 8gb ram, displayport (via usb) nothing tablet like about that ...

____

also a touchscreen in a laptop is just stupid (especially with a OS that was designed to use with keyboard and mouse trackpad ...

P1000506-X2-820x420.jpg

Isn't the razor edge the same price, the same size and way more powerful, with a touch screen and Windows 8 included?

yeah ...

9cPeGzr.png

I guess you are to young to understand how professional work looks like or let's say what a college student needs.

By your definition pretty much all ultrabooks and subnotebooks, which have been around for decades are just useless and a craplet is more useful ...

I know how professional work looks, and I know you need to transfer data and use a whole bunch of peripherals depending on the kind of work you are doing.

Even if all you do is type papers you need to transfer the documents to other computers here and there and a cloud service is not the most comfortable thing to use for that.

@LinusTech

I have discovered an interesting aspect you should test

According to notebookcheck, the macbook did not throttle in Cinebench when running on OSX, but throttled heavily when running Cinebench on WIndows 

Source + extract below

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Apple-MacBook-12-Early-2015-1-1-GHz-Review.143178.0.html

"Let’s start with the performance in OS X: The Core M-5Y31 can utilize its Turbo Boost potential pretty well and even executes multithreaded applications with 2.0 GHz (battery and mains). A very impressive aspect is the fact that the clock does not drop below 1.9 GHz, even after multiple runs of Cinebench – many other Core M notebooks suffer from heavy throttling after a couple of minutes because either the temperature is too high or the TDP limitation sets in. The MacBook does not seem to have these limitations: Despite a chip temperature of more than 90 °C and a CPU power consumption of almost 8 Watts, the performance is completely steady. By the way, this is not the first time that Apple ignores the TDP limits from Intel; we noticed a similar behavior in the review of the MacBook Pro 13. The user will be happy about it.

The situation is completely different when you use Windows. The clocks are similar to OS X in the first Cinebench run (the score is even slightly higher), but the clocks will drop significantly over time. The clock will start to fluctuate periodically between 1.1 and 2.0 GHz at the start of the second run and the scores are around 30% lower."