Macbook 12" Retina Early 2015

Lol, you really don't get the difference between a touch screen and track pad do you? And my main point still stands: my $90 tablet has more I/O than a $1K+ Macbook. BTW, with the Yoga Pro 3 and just like my tablet, you don't need to carry around adapters that negate the thinness of the device, which mean you'll need to buy a proper carry bag for it.

yeah, that trackpad is most likely much better than the touchscreen of that craplet. also have you ever used OSX with a touchscreen? so what, if it has more I/O ? a $200 desktop has much more IO than your craplet or the yoga or whatever else?

and "BTW" if you are carrying around stuff you want to connect to your notebook it most likely is heavier and larger, than any of the adapter or port replicators you would use in that case anyway. And again, if you feel the strong urge to connect all kinds of devices to your notebook on a daily basis, you probably are just better off to get a heavier device that suits your needs. If on the other hand you want to save those 30% of extra mass and you are on the move a lot and you have no problem with using an (cheap) adapter for those random times, when you need to connect a monitor or whatever, than something like that Macbook might treat you well.

As a 11" Macbook Air user for the past years I almost never connect anything else than the power connector OR a display adapter to it for the various times when I have to do a presentation and there is no fixed pc for presentation already set up at the speakers desk (which almost always is the case). So yeah ... I would be one of those 'rare' users who rather have a laptop which is 300g lighter and doesn't (directly) feature ports I almost never use and still offers the abilty to use those ports with a fairly reasonably priced adapter. If that is to much for your narrow minded brain, and you can't accept, that there are users like me, then I am feeling really sorry for you.

BTW I am typing this from my desktop with ..

6x USB 3.0 connectors

4x USB 2.0 connectors

Displayport

3x HDMI

3x DVI

WLAN

Bluetooth

WiFi

4K screen

tons and tons of audio connectors

and BLABLABLA

so about 1000 times more IO than your craplet ...

I guess my desktop therefor is atleast a 1000 times better ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

yeah, that trackpad is most likely much better than the touchscreen of that craplet. also have you ever used OSX with a touchscreen? so what, if it has more I/O ? a $200 desktop has much more IO than your craplet or the yoga or whatever else?

and "BTW" if you are carrying around stuff you want to connect to your notebook it most likely is heavier and larger, than any of the adapter or port replicators you would use in that case anyway. And again, if you feel the strong urge to connect all kinds of devices to your notebook on a daily basis, you probably are just better off to get a heavier device that suits your needs. If on the other hand you want to save those 30% of extra mass and you are on the move a lot and you have no problem with using an (cheap) adapter for those random times, when you need to connect a monitor or whatever, than something like that Macbook might treat you well.

As a 11" Macbook Air user for the past years I almost never connect anything else than the power connector OR a display adapter to it for the various times when I have to do a presentation and there is no fixed pc for presentation already set up at the speakers desk (which almost always is the case). So yeah ... I would be one of those 'rare' users who rather have a laptop which is 300g lighter and doesn't (directly) feature ports I almost never use and still offers the abilty to use those ports with a fairly reasonably priced adapter. If that is to much for your obviously narrowminded brain, and you can't accept, that there are users like me, then I am feeling really sorry for you.

BTW I am typing this from my desktop with ..

6x USB 3.0 connectors

4x USB 2.0 connectors

Displayport

3x HDMI

3x DVI

WLAN

Bluetooth

WiFi

4K screen

tons and tons of audio connectors

and BLABLABLA

so about 1000 times more IO than your craplet ...

I guess my desktop therefor is atleast a 1000 times better ...

*sigh* You do realise that I don't give 2 shits about your desktop because its not a portable device, which I was talking about in relation to I/O. And a touch screen is supperior to a track pad because you simply tap what you want to select instead of dragging your finger-also, you can create custom gestures on Android devices. What your babbling about doesn't change the simple fact that my cheaper tablet, and 99% of tablets and laptops have more I/O than the Macbook-and without the price 'premium'. And 30% of approximately 1KG isn't that much when you consider the actual bulk added by adapters. Which again defeats the purpose of a thin laptop.

(BTW, if you really want to go on about Desktop I/O: 11x USB 2.0, 4x USB 3.0, 7.1 channel on board audio, 5.1 channel sound card, SPDIF, optical audio out,  eSATA, 2x firewire 800, 3x DVI D, 2x HDMI, 3x Displayport, 1x VGA, 1x wifi card, 1x AIO card reader, 8x Sata 2.0, 1x ATA 133, 1x FDD connector, 1080p center 60Hz screen (4K DSR enabled), 1024x768 85Hz surround screens (1080p DSR)- typed from my overclocking rig).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Mods can you please clean up the 'talk' after my initial comment-MrSuperb took offence at a cheap tablet having more I/O than a Macbook (in relation to Linus's comment in the video) and derailed the thread.
Initial comment:

Heck, even my $90 Pendo 7 (the quad core version) can do more-and it even has a lot more I/O.

PMSL

Mods can you please clean up the 'talk' after my initial comment-MrSuperb took offence at a cheap tablet having more I/O than a Macbook (in relation to Linus's comment in the video) and derailed the thread.

Initial comment:

I think everyone should be able to read what bullcrap you were writing ;)

*sigh* You do realise that I don't give 2 shits about your desktop because its not a portable device, which I was talking about in relation to I/O.

and your craplet doesn't run a desktop OS ...

And 30% of approximately 1KG isn't that much when you consider the actual bulk added by adapters. Which again defeats the purpose of a thin laptop.

I already posted an 99g adapter, that pretty much 'does it all'. still more than 200g lighter, almost no bulk.

Which again defeats your argument.

I rather think that the answers from both of you should be removed since you were only here to discuss your opinions on some other devices I/O, and practically nobody is interested in reading about some old tablets and whatnot devices connectors.

They probably should delete the whole thread then ...

And the main discussion point (at least from my side) still was about the single USB-C port, which one would think is quite relevant.

I think everyone should be able to read what bullcrap you were writing ;)

and your craplet doesn't run a desktop OS ...

I already posted an 99g adapter, that pretty much 'does it all'. still more than 200g lighter, almost no bulk.

Which again defeats your argument.

I made a very valid point as a comment on a post that even my tablet has more I/O than the Macbook-that is far from BS, and the rest of my posts have consisted of you jumping the gun  and me correcting.

Ubuntu 14.04LTS-gotta love rooted tablets

Bulk is different from weight.

I rather think that the answers from both of you should be removed since you were only here to discuss your opinions on some other devices I/O, and practically nobody is interested in reading about some old tablets and whatnot devices connectors.

I simply responded to his comment when he obviously missed what I actually said, and things went from there.

PMSL

I made a very valid point as a comment on a post that even my tablet has more I/O than the Macbook-that is far from BS ...

"Heck, even my $90 Pendo 7 (the quad core version) can do more-and it even has a lot more I/O."

yeah ... that is totally relevant.

Like me saying "my Samsung TV has far more I/O and can do more than my smartphone."

And no ... it doesn't have more I/O ... just different one.

you didn't tell us anything yet about the "can do more" part.

"Heck, even my $90 Pendo 7 (the quad core version) can do more-and it even has a lot more I/O."

yeah ... that is totally relevant.

Like me saying "my Samsung TV has far more I/O and can do more than my smartphone."

And no ... it doesn't have more I/O ... just different one.

you didn't tell us anything yet about the "can do more" part.

Read the post above the comment-you know, the one I was responding to. It was relevant at the time. This continued argument is not however, and since you insist on continuing it, I'm adding you to my ignore list as I just don't have the time to deal with your idiocy.

PMSL

I'm adding you to my ignore list as I just don't have the time to deal with your idiocy.

well ... that is the easy way out, when you are out of arguments ;)

including the insult surely felt important to you.

well ... that is the easy way out, when you are out of arguments ;)

including the insult surely felt important to you.

What arguements would you be talking about? A pendo 7 has more I/O than a Macbook full stop. How about you go back, and read the post I was responding to originally hmmm? And not reading posts in the thread and ignoring people who ask you to can be classed as idiocy-though I think ignorance would be a better word.

PMSL

Glad you guys enjoyed it. I worked (and so did the team) really hard on this one. 

Any plans for a 13/15" pro review? That's something I would be more interested in

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I am glad you call it for what it is, a tablet  with a keyboard. I think putting it with the Zen is unfair (the Zen is closer to a laptop) but it actually competes more closely perhaps with the surface.

But in terms of were the market is moving, considering particularly on what Microsoft has been saying about remote computing in Windows 10. Maybe this is a move towards that? The idea is that all portable devices are just "screens" and computing happens elsewhere. I am not even suggesting it happens on the cloud as I think broadband networks are not quite there for most people, but local, business or home networks.

At home people game in TVs or laptops but the game is running in your powerful desktop. In business software is running on servers where managing files and licensing is simple to manage, while people actually do work on laptops, moving around, going to meetings and sharing internally.

The MacBook may be that portable screen on the Apple product ecosystem in which you are supposed to own all of them to leverage something sueful.

quote/correct_: product to demographically force-test USB Type C.

I am glad you call it for what it is, a tablet  with a keyboard. I think putting it with the Zen is unfair (the Zen is closer to a laptop) but it actually competes more closely perhaps with the surface.

Can you enlighten us, how this Macbook is a tablet and the Zen is a laptop?

what makes the Zen a laptop?

is it the two extra USB ports?

is it the mini-hdmi port?

is it the fact that the Zen comes with a touchscreen and a touchscreen OS ... oh wait ... ?

Call my crazy but I actually love the new macbook, was playing with it in the Apple store and fell in love immediately, though I would probably get a 13" retina pro instead

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Call my crazy but I actually love the new macbook, was playing with it in the Apple store and fell in love immediately, though I would probably get a 13" retina pro instead

I actually like the new macbook too but i already have a rmbp and I prefer getting the Surface 3 over this new macbook tbh. But to those considering getting the new macbook pro, imo they'd be better off getting the 13 retina pro instead for less money and better performance. It might be slightly bigger and heavier but it's just much more practical. 

I actually like the new macbook too but i already have a rmbp and I prefer getting the Surface 3 over this new macbook tbh. But to those considering getting the new macbook pro, imo they'd be better off getting the 13 retina pro instead for less money and better performance. It might be slightly bigger and heavier but it's just much more practical. 

Depends on the needs of the user, really, the 13" retian pro is a great machine though, I wish linus would review it

Depends on the needs of the user, really, the 13" retian pro is a great machine though, I wish linus would review it

Still there's not much to consider getting the new macbook over a retina pro other than the portability and maybe USB C. Even the logo on the lid does not lit up anymore (for those who want to show off). A bit silly excuse I know LOL :D

Still there's not much to consider getting the new macbook over a retina pro other than the portability and maybe USB C. Even the logo on the lid does not lit up anymore (for those who want to show off). A bit silly excuse I know LOL :D

"other than portability" - .. portability is the WHOLE point!! 

"other than portability" - .. portability is the WHOLE point!! 

yeah maybe you're right. But 500g isn't really that much more to carry tbh. I guess some people do need really small laptop for purposes idk what when maybe most of that can be done on their tablet or phone anyway. But I still stand by my opinion that the 13 retina pro is a better buy than this new macbook.

yeah maybe you're right. But 500g isn't really that much more to carry tbh. I guess some people do need really small laptop for purposes idk what when maybe most of that can be done on their tablet or phone anyway. But I still stand by my opinion that the 13 retina pro is a better buy than this new macbook.

I agree for most the 13" retina is a better buy, but the macbook still has the appeal, and tablets are nowhere near the production capabilities of a full OSX desktop enviroment, 

the new macbook is seriously tiny and light, would easily slip into a bag for a student, travelling journalist/blogger, office exec, etc who doesnt need the performance but just something sexy, light and good enough for the task

The 13" pro is for the power users, hence the pro designation, my mum wouldnt need a pro, a macbook would be perfect for her

yeah maybe you're right. But 500g isn't really that much more to carry tbh.

It is about a bottle of water. also it is almost twice the size in volume.

I guess it really depends on preference.

screen-estate wise the difference imho really isn't that big

12-inch-16x10-vs-13,3-inch-16x10.png

I agree for most the 13" retina is a better buy, but the macbook still has the appeal, and tablets are nowhere near the production capabilities of a full OSX desktop enviroment, 

the new macbook is seriously tiny and light, would easily slip into a bag for a student, travelling journalist/blogger, office exec, etc who doesnt need the performance but just something sexy, light and good enough for the task

The 13" pro is for the power users, hence the pro designation, my mum wouldnt need a pro, a macbook would be perfect for her

I understand the performance part of the pro to those who don't really need it. I guess maybe I just can't quite get the pricing of it. If you can get the retina for less even if you don't really need the performance,why not anyway right? Even then, not all 13" pro are specifically for power users only. That backlit logo is so much sexier than a non backlit one imo.  ;)

It is about a bottle of water. also it is almost twice the size in volume.

I guess it really depends on preference.

screen-estate wise the difference imho really isn't that big

Yup. Or a bit more heavier than an ipad air 2 which isn't that much but I get that some people like it really thin and light.

I love the fact, that Apple is still one of the few laptop makers sticking with 16:10 (The 11" Air being the only exception)

Especially with small screens (<17") it is imho just the better format.

Just got a chance to watch the video. Nice job. I was a little surprise, the criticisms seem fair and was thoughtfully done, nothing like the WAN show rants after the announcements.

I always figured that this was an ipad-pro without a touch screen and with a keyboard. You can easily still do work on it, but it will be a lighter workload.