laptop running slower than pc with same specs

mounib812

So I bought this laptop just over 2 weeks ago and its the first laptop I've ever owned, i have used laptops before but only to look something up or watch a video never really as my daily driver, and i feel that browsing the internet on this laptop is slower, not as smooth as on a pc and i don't really know if this is normal on laptops or something is wrong with mine

specs:

pc: intel i5-4690k with cooler master hyper t4 cooler         laptop: asus zenbook pro ux501

sapphire r9 280x    3gb                                                                       intel i7-4720hq

8gb ram                                                                                        nvidia gtx 960m 2gb 

msi z97 pc mate m/b                                                                    16gb ram

1tb hdd                                                                                       512Gb ssd

windows 7 pro                                                                                   windows 8.1

thanks

So I bought this laptop just over 2 weeks ago and its the first laptop I've ever owned, i have used laptops before but only to look something up or watch a video never really as my daily driver, and i feel that browsing the internet on this laptop is slower, not as smooth as on a pc and i don't really know if this is normal on laptops or something is wrong with mine

specs:

pc: intel i5-4690k with cooler master hyper t4 cooler         laptop: asus zenbook pro ux501

sapphire r9 280x    3gb                                                                       intel i7-4720hq

8gb ram                                                                                        nvidia gtx 960m 2gb 

msi z97 pc mate m/b                                                                    16gb ram

1tb hdd                                                                                       512Gb ssd

windows 7 pro                                                                                   windows 8.1

thanks

There's your problem. Windows 8.1

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

is it really? its also the first time i use windows 8/8.1 so i really don't know

8.1 has better performance than 7. It's also a very good OS. Get off the bandwagon and make your own opinions. 

OP: What are your temps like? If you're talking about games it's the GPU. A 960M is no where near a 280X.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

What exactly do you mean by it not being "smooth"?

specs:

thanks

Well those specs don't look the same to me.

But I'd say the OS, and SSD are the main causes.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

What's wrong with Windows 8.1?

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

8.1 has better performance than 7. It's also a very good OS. Get off the bandwagon and make your own opinions. 

OP: What are your temps like? If you're talking about games it's the GPU. A 960M is no where near a 280X.

No, it doesn't. After using Windows 7 Professional then using Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 7 is a lot faster. I actually know what I'm talking about. Oh and both OS were on SSD, with windows 8.1 having the benefit of a faster CPU and DDR3 1600 instead of DDR2 667.

PMSL

^^^

What's wrong with Windows 8.1?

PMSL

mobile components aren't the same as desktop ones, holy crap. It's not 8.1, in fact, 8.1 is faster than 7.  the 280x is worlds faster than a 960m, and the 4690k is crapping on the mobile cpu in it's grave.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

temps are not a problem, gaming on the pc is definitely much better than on the laptop (higher frame rates)

i mean when browsing on ff/chrome when i open a link in a new windows or tab it seems like theres a delay or when making the browser fullscreen it sort of lags

What exactly do you mean by it not being "smooth"?

say i open a link in a new window or when i make the browser fullscreen it lags

temps are not a problem, gaming on the pc is definitely much better than on the laptop (higher frame rates)

i mean when browsing on ff/chrome when i open a link in a new windows or tab it seems like theres a delay or when making the browser fullscreen it sort of lags

What kind of background processes are running? Use MSI Afterburner or something other than Task Manager to check RAM and CPU usage. Everything on the laptop should be fine for web browsing. Also, are drivers up to date?

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Well those specs don't look the same to me.

But I'd say the OS, and SSD are the main causes.

no i meant the laptop is slower than the pc not the other way around

say i open a link in a new window or when i make the browser fullscreen it lags

What clock speed is the CPU running at?

What kind of background processes are running? Use MSI Afterburner or something other than Task Manager to check RAM and CPU usage. Everything on the laptop should be fine for web browsing. Also, are drivers up to date?

all drivers are up to date i also installed latest versions of the browsers. nothing running in the background, maybe windows explorer but that's about it

Which it shouldn't be, considering my laptop loads webpages nearly instantly over wireless on 10/1 internet. How much of the SSD is filled?

PMSL

Oh, well, perhaps more shit is on the laptop than the desktop? or maybe the fact that its a laptop and cannot compare to the power of a desktop?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

What clock speed is the CPU running at?

both cpu are running at stock speeds didn't OC any of them

laptop's speed is 2.6ghz boost up to 3.6ghz and the pc is at 3.5ghz boost to 3.8/3.9 ghz

Which it shouldn't be, considering my laptop loads webpages nearly instantly over wireless on 10/1 internet. How much of the SSD is filled?

about 150gb being used out of 512gb (only 480gb is useable i think)

both cpu are running at stock speeds didn't OC any of them

laptop's speed is 2.6ghz boost up to 3.6ghz and the pc is at 3.5ghz boost to 3.8/3.9 ghz

Turn Intel Turbo Boost on through the BIOS on the laptop, or make sure it's on anyways.

Oh, well, perhaps more shit is on the laptop than the desktop? or maybe the fact that its a laptop and cannot compare to the power of a desktop?

i'm only using about 150 gb out of 480g b on a ssd

the pc doesn't have an ssd

about 150gb being used out of 512gb (only 480gb is useable i think)

Well you don't have problems with too much of your SSD being filled then.

PMSL

Turn Intel Turbo Boost on through the BIOS on the laptop, or make sure it's on anyways.

won't turbo boost come turned on with the laptop? i'll check anyways