laptop running slower than pc with same specs

mounib812

i'm only using about 150 gb out of 480g b on a ssd

the pc doesn't have an ssd

Sorry lol, my mind is not paying attention tonight.

Thought it said the laptop was running faster than the PC.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

No, it doesn't. After using Windows 7 Professional then using Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 7 is a lot faster. I actually know what I'm talking about. Oh and both OS were on SSD, with windows 8.1 having the benefit of a faster CPU and DDR3 1600 instead of DDR2 667.

so you think the problem is with windows 8.1?

won't turbo boost come turned on with the laptop? i'll check anyways

On the gaming laptop I used to own, I had to manually turn it on.

so you think the problem is with windows 8.1?

It is quite possible, I personally know that it can be slower than Windows 7.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It is quite possible, I personally know that it can be slower than Windows 7.

okay, thanks 

On the gaming laptop I used to own, I had to manually turn it on.

when i click on performance in the task manager the cpu clock speed does go over 3ghz so i think its already on

Is desktop on wireless or Ethernet, brew which system has HDD, guessing desktop?

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

Is desktop on wireless or Ethernet, brew which system has HDD, guessing desktop?

tried wireless and ethernet, didnt make a difference

the laptop is running on the ssd and the dekstop on a hdd

tried wireless and ethernet, didnt make a difference

the laptop is running on the ssd and the dekstop on a hdd

Sorry :/ The CPU is built for lower clocks, is it possibly the Cpu, even tho it's HyperThreaded?

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

There's your problem. Windows 8.1

This is quite inaccurate. Windows 8.1 is slightly more efficient than Windows 7 for performance - especially in regards to use on SSDs.

OP: Is the version of Windows on your laptop an OEM version? (A version installed by your laptop's manufacturer) If so, that may be the reason as some OEMs install a lot of bloatware on their devices. A solution to this may be at the very least uninstalling as much of this unnecessary bloatware as possible and see if that improves things. If this doesn't work, you may want to consider a complete reinstall with a normal copy of Windows 8 if that's at all feasible for you.

As an example of this issue, I have a Lenovo B50-30 running an OEM copy of Windows 8.1. When idling, the CPU can randomly jump to 80% utilisation owing to a combination of different programs installed by Lenovo eating up far too many resources.

Rest assured, the problem is highly unlikely to be with Windows 8.1 itself. Although some may dislike the OS for its "modern UI" side of things and lack of a start menu, the OS itself is very well polished and generally regarded as being a slightly improved version of Windows 7. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

This is quite inaccurate. Windows 8.1 is slightly more efficient than Windows 7 for performance - especially in regards to use on SSDs.

OP: Is the version of Windows on your laptop an OEM version? (A version installed by your laptop's manufacturer) If so, that may be the reason as some OEMs install a lot of bloatware on their devices. A solution to this may be at the very least uninstalling as much of this unnecessary bloatware as possible and see if that improves things. If this doesn't work, you may want to consider a complete reinstall with a normal copy of Windows 8 if that's at all feasible for you.

As an example of this issue, I have a Lenovo B50-30 running an OEM copy of Windows 8.1. When idling, the CPU can randomly jump to 80% utilisation owing to a combination of different programs installed by Lenovo eating up far too many resources.

Rest assured, the problem is highly unlikely to be with Windows 8.1 itself. Although some may dislike the OS for its "modern UI" side of things and lack of a start menu, the OS itself is very well polished and generally regarded as being a slightly improved version of Windows 7. :)

the laptop came preinstalled with windows 8.1, it does say OEM in the windows product id. the laptop did come installed with many asus programs/softwares.

you think i should try uninstalling them? ( i didn't use any of them and i find them useless tbh) 

edit: now that i look at the apps that came with the laptop there are easily over 20 programs that came with it. thank you so much for the reply i will get uninstalling now

edit 2: could there any programs that i should keep that uninstalling them might mess with the laptop's drivers?

the laptop came preinstalled with windows 8.1, it does say OEM in the windows product id. the laptop did come installed with many asus programs/softwares.

you think i should try uninstalling them? ( i didn't use any of them and i find them useless tbh) 

edit: now that i look at the apps that came with the laptop there are easily over 20 programs that came with it. thank you so much for the reply i will get uninstalling now

edit 2: could there any programs that i should keep that uninstalling them might mess with the laptop's drivers?

Could you give us a screenshot of the programs it has? If so we can give you some suggestions as to what you will need, what you might want and what you can definitely get rid of. :)

I'm going from experience, and when an ultrabook that has an A8 4555M, 4GB DDR3 1600, Windows 8.1 Pro (complete re-install with no bloatware after the original installation refused to setup correctly the first 3 times after factory resets) and a 256GB SSD is slower at everything when compared to an old Tecra M5 with a Core Duo T2600, 4GB DDR2 667 (chipset limitation), Windows 7 Pro 32bit, a OCZ ARC 100 240GB and a Quadro NVS 110M (128MB dedicated DDR2, up to 386MB shared) I can honestly say that Windows 8.1 can be slower than Windows 7 because I have experienced it first hand.

PMSL

I'm going from experience, and when an ultrabook that has an A8 4555M, 4GB DDR3 1600, Windows 8.1 Pro (complete re-install with no bloatware after the original installation refused to setup correctly the first 3 times after factory resets) and a 256GB SSD is slower at everything when compared to an old Tecra M5 with a Core Duo T2600, 4GB DDR2 667 (chipset limitation), Windows 7 Pro 32bit, a OCZ ARC 100 240GB and a Quadro NVS 110M (128MB dedicated DDR2, up to 386MB shared) I can honestly say that Windows 8.1 can be slower than Windows 7 because I have experienced it first hand.

I Guarantee that either one of your systems was not completely compatible with 8.1 or that you miss configured it. 8.1 is faster than windows 7 flat out; lower overhead and a much less bloated GUI are just a few of the reasons as well as a ton of low level improvements,

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

I don't see anything there other than stock Windows apps that are necessary to be honest. If you don't use them, just remove them - if you find a use for them later on you should be able to install them through ASUS' website anyway. :)

The OS was unlikely to be the cause of your issue. It is a generally accepted fact that Windows 8.1 performs identically to if not slightly better than Windows 7. My personal experience suggests such, reviews of the OS suggest such, and before now I've not heard of anyone whose experience differed.

Also, keep in mind that personal experience isn't necessarily representative of universal reality. Having 1 Seagate drive die on you doesn't mean that all Seagate's drives are unreliable, for example. Likewise, experiencing issues with a Windows 8.1 install compared to a Windows 7 install doesn't mean that the OS is inherently slower - there are many other factors that could have been responsible for your experience.

laptop hardware operates by default preserving more to save energy from battery.

it's gimped by alot when you compare it with desktop hardware

TDP, temp level, power draw, etc.

but yet... not much people seems care or know the differences because what they see is the bigger number on the hardware.

I remain by my statement.

Startup times, time taken to load webpages, time to install and open programs, need I go on?

PMSL

Startup times, time taken to load webpages, time to install and open programs, need I go on?

Considering you're comparing 2 different systems I have to call into question your knowledge on the matter.

Run Win 8.1 on the Core 2 system in identical setups and you'd see the Win 8.1 system to be faster. Just because you have anecdotal evidence contrary to widely reported performance metrics between Win 8.x and Win 7 doesn't make you correct.

Don't get me wrong I cannot stand Windows 8.x it's a touch screen-focused, cobbled together mess of conflicting design philosophies that is scizophrenic at best, but the underlying tech in Win 8 is better than anything that went before it.

There's a million possible different reasons for the performance difference in favour of Windows 7, perhaps you should make efforts to eliminate them before writing Windows 8 off as being slower than Win 7. In fact you mention of issues with the laptop to begin with, shouldn't that tell you that not everything is right with the Win 8 laptop in the first place? Or are you just seeing only what you want to see regardless of the facts? I would consider whether the SSD is working correctly, whether you have thermal issues and if there aren't other issues with the system as well.

In any case, this discussion is not helping the OP and you're just projecting your own issues onto him because you seem to be in a "I hate Windows 8 and nobody is gonna convince me that Win 8 is anything other than shite and I feel like ranting about it" mood. If you want to rant about Windows 8, make a new topic in general discussion or off topic and see if others will circle jerk with you about it.

@mounib812

The two systems are very different in performance, a 280x absolutely destroys a GTX960m (The 960m is a rebadge of the 860m I believe, and that wasn't that fast compared to desktop grade parts to begin with) Your desktop CPU is also much faster than the laptop CPU, about 20% faster if I remember rightly which contributes significantly to overall performance, so you must pare back your expectations with the laptop compared to what you have with your desktop regardless of the SSD advantage that your laptop has.

Also take into account that thermals help your CPU and GPU to clock higher for longer on your desktop, whereas your laptop CPU can only maintain a relatively low clock speed for long periods of activity.

Also make sure to uninstall all the preloaded crap on the system, you'd be surprised at how much that stuff kills performance on a laptop. But just remember that even after uninstalling any crapware on the laptop, that it will still be slower compared to your desktop, that has and always will be the case with laptops, they simply don't have the thermal and power envelope to push the kind of performance that desktops have.

It has absolutely nothing to do with Windows 8 being slower than Windows 7, and anyone telling you thus is full of utter BS, rather, your issues have everything to do with the actual hardware and bloatware stealing clock cycles and GPU time from the rest of your system than any perceived slowness from the OS.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon