First picture of the R9 390X is here!

ChrisxIxCross

From the teaser of a teaser, I like how...hmm, what's the word? Simple...yes, simple. I love how simple that card looks. Nothing flashy, nothing ugly. Always a nice middle ground for me. Though I hate it when companies put their name ALL over their products, but whatever.

I will buy and put one of their volcanoes into my PC if they have one released in my budget (i ain't got 500$ to spend on a card), so here's hoping! :crosses fingers:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

A different angle courtesy of chiphell. According to them too it's the 390x.

radeon-r9-390x-wc-rumor-100583965-large.

Ooooh, it looks WAY better than the teaser image makes it look. Very sleek in my opinion!

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

That's a sexy little beast. I hope the $850 rumors are off, that thing would look nice in my rig. And I do need an upgrade at some point before I go VR...

(I really think VR could drive business for AMD and Nvidia, biggest leap in required GPU performance since Crysis)

Me likey

CPU: Intel i5 4690K Cooler: Cryorig H5 Motherboard: ASrock Z97 Extreme4  RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu Black Series 8GB GPU: Powercolor R9 390 PCS+

Case Fans: 3X Phobya NB-Eloop 120mm in front + 1X Noiseblocker BlackSilentPRO 140mm, rear HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB  PSU: Corsair CX600M  Case: Corsair Air 540 ODD: LG Supermulti (Yeah whatever)  Monitors: LG25UM55-P, LG 22EN43

I thought that NCIX said that there are some fake renders of the 390x. He showed a few example pictures, and this looks like to be one of them :/ Idk tho, watch the last 2 weeks of NCIX tech news, you'll see :/ But if they are real, why watercooled? One thing about throwing more cores at the wall is finding a dynamic way to run it cooler, kind of like the titan x. Like for example, what will AMD be doing for a 490x, I hope it doesn't involve watercooling. Its sad that this isn't the 395x2 and its watercooled...

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

I thought that NCIX said that there are some fake renders of the 390x. He showed a few example pictures, and this looks like to be one of them :/ Idk tho, watch the last 2 weeks of NCIX tech news, you'll see :/ But if they are real, why watercooled? One thing about throwing more cores at the wall is finding a dynamic way to run it cooler, kind of like the titan x. Like for example, what will AMD be doing for a 490x, I hope it doesn't involve watercooling. Its sad that this isn't the 395x2 and its watercooled...

Could be fake but it matches the pic that Johan Anderson posted.

As for the water cooled thing, it was long rumored to be the case.

There are a lot of advantages to going stock water; getting a very cool running part from day one as the stock version is a big plus. It's one of the reasons people liked the stock 295x2, and didn't like the stock 290x. In the initial reviews of the 290x performance was great the only downside which everybody criticized was the bad cooler. And a lot of people decided to wait for the 3rd party cards with better coolers before they bought it. I think AMD has learned from that. It's not difficult to mount a 120mm rad, plus there will probably be air cooled versions available too for those who want it. It allows them to show very cool temperatures and big overclocks in the launch day reviews, and this will be great for SFF...

There are a lot of advantages to going stock water; getting a very cool running part from day one as the stock version is a big plus. It's one of the reasons people liked the stock 295x2, and didn't like the stock 290x. In the initial reviews of the 290x performance was great the only downside which everybody criticized was the bad cooler. And a lot of people decided to wait for the 3rd party cards with better coolers before they bought it. I think AMD has learned from that. It's not difficult to mount a 120mm rad, plus there will probably be air cooled versions available too for those who want it. It allows them to show very cool temperatures and big overclocks in the launch day reviews, and this will be great for SFF...

About the water cooled thing, it's a way of AMD differentiate themselfs in the market.

Usually water cooled versions take months to get out, and IHVs custom coolers are always better then the stock coolers... it's like this on AMD or NVIDIA. Asus, Saphire, etc... they spend R&D money on that, and have alot of experience doing it, so there isn't much to compete with them.

This way AMD offers a differentiated, and usefull, solution:

- It will perform better then their previous cooler (wouldn't take much though lol);

- If it's properly done, it will perform better then most, if not all, air cooled solutions;

- They're first in the market with AIOs;

- It's great for people who already have loops built and wont need to wait for water blocks;

I think it was the best solution AMD could provide with this release. The price they will pay is probably low stocks and a bit more expensive.

Sorry about late reply. I do very much agree. However, there is some people who is not comfortable with water-cooling. I'm not uncomfortable with it, just that some are(I don't do it because of money :/). But The fact is the 295x2 Still had very little overclocking headroom even with its fancy water-cooler. I just hope for some people, that some manufactures will make a air cooled 390x, kind of like how Powercolor has a aircooled 295x2. Its just what some thinks, not me, but Its for some peoples sake. Also, if this card has little overclocking headroom, then that means AMD isn't trying to find out how to make the chip run cooler. If that is the case, then It's a bit disappointing :/ I also realized, the newest episode of net-linked-daily says this exact picture is real.. so yeh :/

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

that chip hell render is a fake (obviously so too)/.

by fake I mean someone not amd made it. you can tell it too as there is no cover to the right side of the black cover (which you can see in the tweeted picture)

Sorry about late reply. I do very much agree. However, there is some people who is not comfortable with water-cooling. I'm not uncomfortable with it, just that some are(I don't do it because of money :/). But The fact is the 295x2 Still had very little overclocking headroom even with its fancy water-cooler. I just hope for some people, that some manufactures will make a air cooled 390x, kind of like how Powercolor has a aircooled 295x2. Its just what some thinks, not me, but Its for some peoples sake. Also, if this card has little overclocking headroom, then that means AMD isn't trying to find out how to make the chip run cooler. If that is the case, then It's a bit disappointing :/ I also realized, the newest episode of net-linked-daily says this exact picture is real.. so yeh :/

Don't get me wrong with what I'm going to say here but... maybe this card isn't aimed at you. Not the 390X - but this particular version, with the stock AIO cooler.

When AMD chose this kind of positioning, they weight who they want to please the most, because when you try to please everyone you end up pleasing no one. Maybe they know that there's a segment of the enthusiasts who just love this kind of solutions, and they are going after them.

You will still have the custom air cooled solutions, so don't worry ;)

I wonder if it will fit in a rose will legacy u2

HTID

The chiphell renders are fake. Although they are intended to be fake. They're just a general idea of what the card will look like as a final product (even though dimensions of the card in the render aren't right at all). They were made long before the actual pictures of Fiji started leaking onto the web. AMD has a WCE because water on any GPU is far better than air. Most GPU's use boost modes to reach higher clocks when the chip is running cool. With AIO units the GPU can sustain these clocks for much longer resulting in better performance before reaching a thermal limit where the card has to downclock to cool off. Also when transistors heat up the gates start to leak and actually cause the card to eat more power. Slapping a AIO onto a GPU can make it consume slightly less power. And the most obvious reason is overclocking headroom without worrying about temperatures too much. With HBM being on package under a liquid loop we won't be seeing readings like this anymore.

01-PCB_w_600.jpg

turn it off.

yea i know AMD will have a feature to turn it off

but lighted logo don't appeal me IMO

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Looks amazing and all, but itäll all come down to the pricing. I wonder if AMD have the guts to price it neck to neck with the 980Ti/Titan X :P

CPU: i7-3960x @ 5GHz Motherboard: Rampage IV Gene ​RAM: 32GB HyperX Fury 1866 STORAGE:  WD Green 3TB + Crucial BX100 250GB + 16GB Primocache

GPU: 7990 + 7970 @ 1190c, 1515m Case: Phanteks Enthoo Mini XL PSU: AX1200i Monitor: Qnix QX2710 @ 110Hz

Cooling: D5 + X-RES 140CSQ, Supreme HF Cu, EK-FC7970/7990, 10xSP120 QE, RX240 + RX360

it need to be priced below the 980Ti but better than the 980Ti and just below the Titan X

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

look up prices for 295x2

so no...

just the 295x2?

Or should we factor inthe nuclear reactor to power the thing as well?

it need to be priced below the 980Ti but better than the 980Ti and just below the Titan X

But the 980ti will be released after this, so they can only guess what Nvidia is going to price it...

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

just the 295x2?

But the 980ti will be released after this, so they can only guess what Nvidia is going to price it...

Nuclear reactor? You know a 290x drew roughly the same amount of power as a 780 ti...right?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Why below the TITAN X? It could out perform it and maintain a lower price point. Something along the lines of priced between the 980 Ti and TITAN X with ~12% better performance than the TITAN X is what I'm expecting (based on leaked internal AMD benchmarks). It's interesting though as AMD doesn't want to be known as the cheaper solution when really in a scenario like this there would be nothing wrong with it (more performance/$).

just the 295x2?

The R9 295x2 only consumes twice as much power as the GTX 980 and is a dual GPU card. I don't see any reason to complain about it's 610w power draw for that reason.

Why below the TITAN X? It could out perform it and maintain a lower price point. Something along the lines of priced between the 980 Ti and TITAN X with ~12% better performance than the TITAN X is what I'm expecting (based on leaked internal AMD benchmarks). It's interesting though as AMD doesn't want to be known as the cheaper solution when really in a scenario like this there would be nothing wrong with it (more performance/$).

The R9 295x2 only consumes twice as much power as the GTX 980 and is a dual GPU card. I don't see any reason to complain about it's 610w power draw for that reason.

i sure hope you are right that is tons better than the Titan X

the HBM hype is huge IMO

i sure hope you are right that is tons better than the Titan X

the HBM hype is huge IMO

Well ~12% isn't really much you could close that gap easily by simply overclocking a TITAN X. Although it's only AMD's second take at a big chip (Hawaii and now Fiji). Things will get to be far more interesting next year as Arctic Islands is rumored to be pushing 6000+ GCN 2.0 (real next gen GCN architecture design) ALU's which are 2x more power efficient and are a lot faster than current GCN 1.0-1.2 revisions. It will be interesting to finally see AMD having their own "god card" none the less.

Well ~12% isn't really much you could close that gap easily by simply overclocking a TITAN X. Although it's only AMD's second take at a big chip (Hawaii and now Fiji). Things will get to be far more interesting next year as Arctic Islands is rumored to be pushing 6000+ GCN 2.0 (real next gen GCN architecture design) ALU's which are 2x more power efficient and are a lot faster than current GCN 1.0-1.2 revisions. It will be interesting to finally see AMD having their own "god card" none the less.

i agree 10 fps difference is not a lot when the Titan X can OC more because of Maxwell higher TDP ceiling

the 390X needs to strap a AIO just to keep it cool is not an elegent solution

i agree 10 fps difference is not a lot when the Titan X can OC more because of Maxwell higher TDP ceiling

the 390X needs to strap a AIO just to keep it cool is not an elegent solution

It is a shitty solution. Needing a AIO is not what most people want or need.

AMD seems to think killing a Titan means anything. GG. Guess what this generations most popular GPU is? The 970. A mid range card. That's what people are actually buying.

AMD simply wants to resell you a 290 again. Solid innovation. 10/10

God I hope Samsung buys them out, fires everyone and builds a truly competitive company that Nvidia and Intel really need to worry about.