First picture of the R9 390X is here!

ChrisxIxCross

i agree 10 fps difference is not a lot when the Titan X can OC more because of Maxwell higher TDP ceiling

the 390X needs to strap a AIO just to keep it cool is not an elegent solution

Fiji is rumored to only have a 300w TDP. You can air cool this quite easily and I believe we will be seeing air cooled designs from Sapphire at Computex. Although the WCE has a liquid loop because AMD has learned to not gamble on their own air cooled designs (Hawaii) and just go straight for the best cooling method on the market, water. Not only does it keep the chip cooler but also allows it to cut back slightly on power consumption and allows it to achieve better overall performance in comparison to air.

It is a shitty solution. Needing a AIO is not what most people want or need.

AMD seems to think killing a Titan means anything. GG. Guess what this generations most popular GPU is? The 970. A mid range card. That's what people are actually buying.

AMD simply wants to resell you a 290 again. Solid innovation. 10/10

God I hope Samsung buys them out, fires everyone and builds a truly competitive company that Nvidia and Intel really need to worry about.

Samsung wouldn't run in to heat problems as bad as AMD at least.

Samsung wouldn't run in to heat problems as bad as AMD at least.

All Samsung needs to do is blacklist that buffoon Huddy from the industry and they'd already be in better shape.

It is a shitty solution. Needing a AIO is not what most people want or need.

AMD seems to think killing a Titan means anything. GG. Guess what this generations most popular GPU is? The 970. A mid range card. That's what people are actually buying.

AMD simply wants to resell you a 290 again. Solid innovation. 10/10

God I hope Samsung buys them out, fires everyone and builds a truly competitive company that Nvidia and Intel really need to worry about.

Water is way better than air. It's not needing it, it's offering it. If you don't want water you can just go buy the air cooled offering. Me personally I would take an AIO cooled card over an air cooled card regardless of what it is (even a GTX 750 Ti) if the cost really is not that distinguishable. You just got to know the perks of having a superior cooling solution. AMD knows this and EVGA does as well. I hope all cards (from a certain tier up) come with an AIO in the near future.

AMD is not particularly targeting the TITAN with Fiji. They are brewing their own "god card" mostly because it's going to be the framework of their VR innovations. A soon to be $150+ billion dollar market that AMD wants to dip their feet in. Without a "god card" they don't have an offering with enough horsepower to do the job sufficiently (the same with Nvidia if they only topped out at the GTX 980). TITAN and Fiji will be the cards we'll see most people go for once VR headsets take to the market by volume.

AMD wants to be conservative. Making a bunch of new cards would potentially hurt them more financially even if they sold as good as they did during the cryptocurrency phase. Reason for that is AMD was running short on inventory during that time period and so they invested big into making even more cards to accommodate demand just for that phase to reach the end of it's run. Now the company sits on surplus inventory that they need to sell or either write off massive losses for. Personally, if they roll out the R9 390 for $200 I could care less as that's a bargain for the dollar and is still competitive today.

They got a new CEO and new staff in a lot of their departments so we need to give them time before we can draw judgement of where the company is going from here. As not a whole lot has came out AMD doors since Lisa Su took over leadership. The doors are definitely sealed a lot tighter on her ship which is a good thing. The PR team isn't out hyping up everything purposely (a lot of PR seats got replaced). 2016 will be a justifying year for Lisa and the company.

Noice. Hope it gives us something good in the 200$ price range and games being better optimized for amd gpus (looking at you project cars) and better drivers

wouldn't that undercut the market by a Very significant margin?

wouldn't that undercut the market by a Very significant margin?

What do you mean?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

Indeed the most popular card isn't going to be a Titan X.... The 970 was the most popular card because of price/performance but it also had the most backlash of any card.

The 290X reference model had backlash as well but not nearly as much.

If AMD has a solid 290X - 390X but is upgraded to the max....with less heat...that will take out the 970. Also....it will have 8 Gb ram not 3.5. That's a big win already.

However.... I'm not too happy that they are rebranding AGAIN............ it's literally like..... really AMD.... GCN 1.1...???  Jesus.

Because people think that fancy lights, big card, big cases etc etc = better. I never bought into those window side panel cases, I'd rather have another fan mount than a useless masturbatory window.

Indeed. Although the term better is highly subjective.

Arctic Islands is rumored to be pushing 6000+ GCN 2.0 (real next gen GCN architecture design) ALU's

Next gen GCN... AMD, your architecture code name is unfortunate.

Next gen GCN... AMD, your architecture code name is unfortunate.

Yeah, it's kind of a predicament they will endure later on as they label everything with "next generation GCN". Meanwhile 1.1 and 1.2 are just revisions. They will have to clarify that GCN 2.0 is an actual architecture redesign and not an incremental update when that time comes if they want to catch interest. Although we all know their PR wont change and it will plastered "next generation GCN".

Nuclear reactor? You know a 290x drew roughly the same amount of power as a 780 ti...right?

Yep, I wasn't being 100% serious.

That being said, the card still has a bunch of other requirements that aren't relevant for a single gpu card, which was the point. There's LOTS of reasons to not go multi-GPU, even if it's cheaper.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Look like all those "concept" designs of the 390x that were leaked out not too long ago turned out to be true. Dice developer Johan Andersoon just tweeted out the very first REAL picture of the 390X this morning! I can't wait for AMD to launch it at Computex or E3

Noice. Hope it gives us something good in the 200$ price range and games being better optimized for amd gpus (looking at you project cars) and better drivers

What do you mean?

Well I might be misunderstanding you, but I hope you can see why. Its ambiguous regarding what you are hoping for $200, after further contemplation I think you might mean a different card, not eh 390x at that price point with good performance.

But in regards to my comment, since a R9 290x and a GTX 970 sells for around $300 (give or take), then wouldn't a $200 390x be undercutting the market by a VERY significant margin. That is assuming similar performance to those two other cards, which is unlikely.

As for driver, while there has been issues in the past and likely in the future, generally AMD puts out good drivers.

Yep, I wasn't being 100% serious.

That being said, the card still has a bunch of other requirements that aren't relevant for a single gpu card, which was the point. There's LOTS of reasons to not go multi-GPU, even if it's cheaper.

I think they are just commenting that the efficiency comparison of AMD and Nvidia gets parroted a lot these days by people (not necessarily you) who are looking and speaking about it out of context, or are exaggerating the differences.

Don't get me wrong with what I'm going to say here but... maybe this card isn't aimed at you. Not the 390X - but this particular version, with the stock AIO cooler.

When AMD chose this kind of positioning, they weight who they want to please the most, because when you try to please everyone you end up pleasing no one. Maybe they know that there's a segment of the enthusiasts who just love this kind of solutions, and they are going after them.

You will still have the custom air cooled solutions, so don't worry ;)

Ik this is a super late response, but I'm not worrying. I see were your coming from. But I think the issue is that they have no other choice but to liquid cool it. Idk if there is going to be any improvments amung the heat effiency of the cores. 

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

Well I might be misunderstanding you, but I hope you can see why. Its ambiguous regarding what you are hoping for $200, after further contemplation I think you might mean a different card, not eh 390x at that price point with good performance.

But in regards to my comment, since a R9 290x and a GTX 970 sells for around $300 (give or take), then wouldn't a $200 390x be undercutting the market by a VERY significant margin. That is assuming similar performance to those two other cards, which is unlikely.

As for driver, while there has been issues in the past and likely in the future, generally AMD puts out good drivers.

Oh I understand what you mean. The 390x is a range-topper isn't it? So in the 200$ price range there would be something like a 380x or a 370x. Nothing is confirmed yet so the best thing to do is to wait

You have one?

Picture is from the YouTube teaser AMD posted today.

Picture is from the YouTube teaser AMD posted today.

still cool. Tho if that thing will have a red radeon sign that will mess up some build quite a bit