Amd reports a loss of 29 million

samuelohagan

This may seem bad, but actually if you look at AMD's finances for the last couple of quarters, there losses have been steadily going down. This combined with the fact, that the Xbox One and Playstation 4 is going to ship next year, I predict that AMD might turn a profit. :)

What does that mean for us techies?

Well, that means that very soon, AMD might become a serious competitor to intel, which may put pressure on them, to stop relaxing and start being competitive again.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/amd-reports-2013-second-quarter-201500544.html

However, right now the problem is that all the money is in laptops and other consumer electronics, but at this time, that market is dominated by Intel because of its better efficiency(better efficiency = more battery life), and because nowadays people are buying ultra books instead of laptops. Despite APU's being a great platform, to be honest, nobody outside of the tech world really cares.

Because of this, Intel can sit on its butt and do nothing because they know that at the end of the day, consumers will still buy their CPU's. In contrast AMD has to cater aggressively to the enthusiasts to make up for their loss market share.

Even once the get this sorted out, it will still be a few years because cpus are in development for a few years before they can come to market, but still amd catching up is still very exciting news.

I would think that as well as taking time for new products to come out of development, it will also be a while before they start raking more money into R&D as they will likely need to pay off the sequential losses that they have been making first..

Are you not entertained!?

Yeah, they"ve been doing a good job catching up and have been doing a good job with their GPUs. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

The results were actually surprisingly good, stocks went up again, now they're at $4.65.

Yeah it doubled in price, before the release of the 8350 it was 2 dollars. 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

I'm happy to see this. AMD is more gaming oriented than it's competitors so it will be nice to see what they come up with in the future.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

Better than their income in 2012, which was $ -1 billion. 

Should have bought their stocks earlier. Bought them at $4.03 a couple weeks earlier I could have got them for below $3. Hopefully their server CPU releases and consoles next year will push up stock prices. 
Desktop CPUs don't really make a difference for them because of how little income they make compared to the enterprise segment.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

glad about this! really want competition for intel so that new processors are better and not just sub-par. woop woop! go amd

Spoiler

Gaming/Engineering PC: -i7 6700K, 4-4.2GHz "Eleanor" -ASUS ROG HERO VIII MOBO -16GB DDR4 3000MHz Corsair (2x8GB) -Gigabyte Windforce 980Ti OC edition (1405MHz GPU clock) -H110i GT Corsair CPU Water cooler -980GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD -Corsair 450D ATX Case -RM850i Corsair PSU (Modular) -28” 4K Samsung -27” 1080p Samsung 

I dont even know why a company would tell people there not doing so well, it just makes the company look weaker

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

I dont even know why a company would tell people there not doing so well, it just makes the company look weaker

they have to reveal things like this to investors and thus te public and depending on the direction in which they are heading people may invest and cause them to grow even bigger. look at appel they are so huge and have such large profits yet when there profits start declining they come under big pressure even though they still making a shit load of money ...it's all about the direction  

(1) high frame rate (2) ultra graphics settings (3) cheap...>> choose only two<<...

if it's never been done then i'm probably tryna do it. (((((((Bass so low it HERTZ)))))))

Might be a good time to buy stocks =)...  Wait till the number for the consoles start rolling in.

They are publicly traded, It's public info.  That's why dell want to go private, where they don't need to report anything.

My Rigs (past and present)

The results were actually surprisingly good, stocks went up again, now they're at $4.65.

Tis all good for me. I own stock in them. Bought 55 shares a while back.  B) Now they've increased ~255%

CPU - FX 8320 @ 4.8 GHz

| MoBo - Sabertooth 990FX | GPU - XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Ed. @ 1.075 GHz | CPU Cooler - H100 | RAM - 16 GB Dual Channel Vengeance @ 1600 MHz (didn't care to push these...) | OS - Windows 8 Pro | Storage - OCZ Vertex 3 (120 GB Boot), Samsung 830 Pro 64 GB, WD Black 1 TB, some random 320 GB from a laptop | PSU - CM Silent Hybrid Pro 850W (MDPC Sleeving) | Case - 800D | Monitors - ASUS V238H/ X Star DP2710LED | Mouse - M90 Keyboard - CM Quickfire Rapid w/ custom key caps

"When life gives you lemons, Don't make lemonade, make life take the lemons back!" - Cave Johnson, CEO

Might be a good time to buy stocks =)... Wait till the number for the consoles start rolling in.

They are publicly traded, It's public info. That's why dell want to go private, where they don't need to report anything.

Dell went private because they want to take the company in a direction investors wouldn't want to invest in not to not release information about profit.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

I own stocks in AMD as well, I bought 200 shares back when they were at $2.60, I am hoping that they will make it up to $7 per share. :P

Now would be a good time to buy shares in AMD I think.  a $29M loss for a company that size given the economy and industry sales figures is pretty well nothing.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I own stocks in AMD as well, I bought 200 shares back when they were at $2.60, I am hoping that they will make it up to $7 per share. :P

i like it when companies send dividends my cusin gets like $5 from them a year xD

he doesnt cash it in because he gets embarrassed

who the hell cashes in a $5 check

i keep being reminded of this each time i remember the check xD

ww.youtube.com/watch?v=NOxOwaYfo-A&t=4m10s

the first 10 second :P

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I don't think $29 million is really that much for a company like AMD. If that went to research and development, there's a good chance that it will return a profit.

my .95 cent stocks are looking super nice right now.

i like it when companies send dividends my cusin gets like $5 from them a year xD

he doesnt cash it in because he gets embarrassed

who the hell cashes in a $5 check

i keep being reminded of this each time i remember the check xD

ww.youtube.com/watch?v=NOxOwaYfo-A&t=4m10s

the first 10 second :P

Why wouldn't you cash it in? It's money

Does he just let the cheque expire than?

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Better than their income in 2012, which was $ -1 billion. 

Should have bought their stocks earlier. Bought them at $4.03 a couple weeks earlier I could have got them for below $3. Hopefully their server CPU releases and consoles next year will push up stock prices. 

Desktop CPUs don't really make a difference for them because of how little income they make compared to the enterprise segment.

At least it wasn't as bad as Microsoft missplaced 10.9billion...

Also I should have gotten my dad to buy their stocks when they were still doing terrribly. Guess I'll have to remember to invest in companies that are doing bad. like EA:D

Why wouldn't you cash it in? It's money

Does he just let the cheque expire than?

yeah

most of the time its like 2$

think about it

it would be a loss either way

a trip from his house to his bank

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.