Computer Components as Jewelry/Conversation Pieces? Or: I made a CPU necklace.

So Yours Truly was thinking of replacing the TIM between the IHS and the die on my 4690k, when he got to thinking: What could I do if it was unintentionally rendered unusable?

Well, why not make something decorative out of it's carcass? I heard some brilliant guys on here saying that you could make one into a necklace if it gave up the ghost/magic blue smoke. That'd look cool, so I made one to see what it'd look like. A master jeweler I am not, but I can drill a hole and thread a chain.

Decided to share the results, non-professional as they may be, as I got the idea from the community, and it's tech-related.

So here's my 4690k an old E4500:

Pics taken with GS5, sooo yeah.

nBBIzxp.jpg

Here it is on me:

wvS9p3v.jpgVh5W3Yh.jpg

On the GF:

ukiwxbM.jpg

On a table.

zlVhGcH.jpg

Comments on how easy it was.

The PCB part can be drilled through like it's thin wood. Literally that easy. I just got a chain and it looks great.

Picture of my cat in a sparkly backpack.

K9GRjed.jpg

There has to be other jewelry-type things to make, like RAM earrings or something (I'm not very imaginative). I'm not an incredibly social human, so would wearing this to a party be a good idea? 

Has anyone else here made some imaginative use out of old PC components, and if so, pics? Is using pieces of tech as jewelry pieces just stupid or kind of cool?

In any case, I personally think it looks cool, and fully endorse the making of such things for the "techie" in your life.  :D

I don't do signatures.

Lol, teasin us with dat sweater

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Reminds me of this old picture where a guy was laying down cpu's as bathroom tiles.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

a nice big 18 core zeon would even cost as much as real jewelery

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Lol, core 2 duo :P

I've got an old pentium 4 that I might do that to, I just don't wanna get stabbed by it lel

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Lol, teasin us with dat sweater

Lol  :P

I don't do signatures.

I've got an old pentium 4 that I might do that to, I just don't wanna get stabbed by it lel

Go for it! It's worth it's weight in conversation. The pins can be snipped off probably. Everyone i showed it off to immediately thought it was awesome... after me telling them what it was. Show off the tech in you. 

I don't do signatures.

Go for it! It's worth it's weight in conversation. The pins can be snipped off probably. Everyone i showed it off to immediately thought it was awesome... after me telling them what it was. Show off the tech in you. 

The one I have doesn't have pins :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

That's a pretty cool idea, I'd wonder what one would look like after de-liding it and cleaning it up.

The one I have doesn't have pins :P

Lol my bad! IMO It's worth it then, only a hole to make :P

I don't do signatures.

Lol my bad! IMO It's worth it then, only a hole to make :P

Yeah, just wear it to school and get all the girls xD

Love those folder names lol.

"that thing" "Illegal drug finances" "personal nazi paraphenelia" "Winning Lotto #'s"

Out of all of those, "that thing" feels the most threatening..... WHAT IS IT?!

That's a pretty cool idea, I'd wonder what one would look like after de-liding it and cleaning it up.

Depends on what looks cool maybe. The IHS makes it heavy and formidable though, and if you're going to show it off, it having some heft might just make it seem more awesome to a non-PC enthusiast.

I don't do signatures.

Yeah, just wear it to school and get all the girls xD

More than worth it if that works!  ;)

I don't do signatures.

Love those folder names lol.

"that thing" "Illegal drug finances" "personal nazi paraphenelia" "Winning Lotto #'s"

Yeah, needed a backdrop to take a pic, and that seemed like it'd elicit a lol, lol.

I don't do signatures.

Yeah, needed a backdrop to take a pic, and that seemed like it'd elicit a lol, lol.

Well it worked perfectly for my tin foil humor. I bet a member of the NSA is looking at that picture and getting a hardon while tracing your location.

a nice big 18 core zeon would even cost as much as real jewelery

Insane  :o Also, you can't post anymore outside of off topic, as you're right at 1024 posts! You are now worth 1GB to the NSA, and any more activity will make you a target.

I don't do signatures.

Well it worked perfectly for my tin foil humor. I bet a member of the NSA is looking at that picture and getting a hardon while tracing your location.

don't worry the NSA is dismantled because of their illegal practice's.

hehehe....they went CIA

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

The things I do to make the NSA guys' days more enjoyable...

I don't do signatures.

Use the pins the defensive purposes ... You can grab somebody's neck and stab the CPU into it to rupture their blood vessel , causing them to bleed out ... 

You know what ? A pen would suffice ... 

@Mattrixx : Follow your topic please ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Follow your topic please ... 

Will do, my bad. I follow half the topics I reply to so as to keep tabs on things, but forgot to follow my own.

I don't do signatures.

don't worry the NSA is dismantled because of their illegal practice's.

hehehe....they went CIA

Technically, "officially" the CIA isn't allowed to conduct any operations on US soil.

The things I do to make the NSA guys' days more enjoyable...

I still think people ought to start using more "target phrases" in their every day communications so that the NSA, FBI, and CIA have more data than they could ever possibly handle.

I still think people ought to start using more "target phrases" in their every day communications so that the NSA, FBI, and CIA have more data than they could ever possibly handle.

Be careful, they have ears everywhere! Lol. Or they'd just use the increase as justification for a larger budget. 

I don't do signatures.

Be careful, they have ears everywhere! Lol. Or they'd just use the increase as justification for a larger budget. 

Oh I know I'm already on a list.

1. I own guns

2. I am willing to admit I would be more than happy to join a tens of millions of people march on DC to demand that the currently sitting members of government step down

3. I am disappointed in the NSA because they have to have AMPLE evidence that our "representatives" are corrupt as hell, yet they do nothing.

Oh I know I'm already on a list.

1. I own guns

2. I am willing to admit I would be more than happy to join a tens of millions of people march on DC to demand that the currently sitting members of government step down

3. I am disappointed in the NSA because they have to have AMPLE evidence that our "representatives" are corrupt as hell, yet they do nothing.

Well, going by that list, you're doing it right! Guns, willing to stand up, and pissed about the way secrecy and privacy is handled.

On the NSA doing nothing; yeah, I wish some in there could/would walk out with info on what goes on. I'm not saying they're all part of the Illuminati, but I would like to know more about, well, everything. I can see why the NSA unfortunately as a whole doesn't do anything even if it does find incriminating evidence though. The department they're under has it's head OKd by Congress, and Congress can get it's hands all up in there. He wouldn't be too open to the NSA blowing the whistle on all the guys who put him in office. Not to mention, it's in many cases another agency entirely that acts on and looks at evidence.

I don't do signatures.