Am I the only one that HATES Depth of Field?

kenjigreat

Its distracting and it takes performance , adds no detail.It also makes things look blurry as hell. Why do Developers insist its a good Idea? 

For MGS : V Ground Zeroes , You can't even turn it off without turning off other settings.

Its distracting and it takes performance , adds no detail.It also makes things look blurry as hell. Why do Developers insist its a good Idea? 

For MGS : V Ground Zeroes , You can't even turn it off without turning off other settings.

for that cinematic experience. havent you heard, tis the 2014-15 buzzword xD

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

It's like "immersive" and "realistic". Tbh for hardcore gaming it's a big no-no i agree. But if you just want to enjoy the scenery. Then DOF can help with that.

DOF is something like motion blur, some like it, some not, it's just personal :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Aww, I love DoF D:

Especially dem bokeh DoF... dem bokeh DoF makes me want to murder in a good way.

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

Hail the DoF!

How big is TW3 preload?

Previously Trogdor8freebird

5800x | Asus x570 Pro Wifi (barely enough for 64GB apparently given it's 2133 and still crashes sometimes) | 64GB DDR4 | 3070 Ti 8GB | Love that whole weeb shit

No, you are not the only one. I always disable it the moment I encounter it.

25GB I think , not that big.

Yep.

For games it not really that important imo, unless it's a cutscene. For films I think it's pretty important as it can be used to the film maker's advantage, another tool. 

Intel i7 4790k / MSI Z97M / Hyper 212 Evo / MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 / 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz / Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 / Corsair CS750M / Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD /  WD Blue 1TB

Depends on the game. Some games have good implementation of dof some don't so I just turn it on or off depending on the game. I do agree though with the dof on ground zeroes being bad. There is no option to toggle it unlike most games plus it also make the main character blurry w/c is the part I hated the most.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"

I actually like how it looks in photography, gives things a professional look so i have it turned on when i take screenshots or something but during game play it can be annoying at times.I remember a time when i was playing Watch_Dogs, i was hiding on a rooftop and killing police down on the streets but whenever i we just peeking over a ledge or around a corner i would always have focus issues unless my cross-hairs were exactly on my kill target.

Yep.

How big is TW3 preload?

I preloaded on gog

It was after install 50GB :P

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

No, I don't like it at all, but somehow I love it on GTA V :/ 

Only... in that game.

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

The DoF effect only makes sense if you're looking at what the game thinks you're supposed to be looking at. IRL, whatever you look directly at will be in focus, whereas with a DoF effect on a monitor you can look directly at the stuff that's out of focus and see blurry stuff where you'd never see it IRL.

It might make sense for a future VR headset with eye tracking though.

If it's accurate and used in the right situations I really like DoF, most devs overuse the effect though.

A nice touch is slight bokeh on a gun when looking down sights, however it should be limited to the gun and exclude objects further away (just looks silly since the game doesn't focus where you look - that's one of the situations you notice DoF).

I also like the focus-blur in Shift where the higher the velocity, the further out of focus the cockpit is, adds an effect of drama.

144Hz goodness

Because depth of field is typically a characteristic of a fast prime or non-variable aperture lens. It's quite an expensive effect to chase in photography and cinema. It's meant to isolate your subject. People pay big bucks for it.

It's also a true characteristic of your eye. You can test it by putting out your thumb as far as your arm will reach. Focus on the background (with your eyes), and then focus on your thumb. Stay focused on your thumb as you bring it closer and closer to your eye until you're about 3 to 6 inches away. Observe the depth of field of the background.

I think it looks gorgeous.

How big is TW3 preload?

Yep.

It is exactly 21,3 jiggabytes

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

No, I don't like it at all, but somehow I love it on GTA V :/ 

Only... in that game.

Same here. I can't think of any other game I like it in, but in GTA 5 it really does just make the game that little bit more beautiful.

its like motion blur, that's wasted on me.

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

ALL HAIL THE BOKEH!!!!!

ohh.. sht this aint photography...

well, ehmm, mostly personal i guess, altough in competetive games it's annoying that stuff get blurry, if it's a enjoyment game like stanley's parable or goat simulator it is there to add a more "cinematic" effect, altough in photo/video it's called bokeh, which means the same.

but for walk and talk games i can see it have a effect, but for other stuff? no, not really.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I don't get it either. Sure it works well in photographs and 2D movies, and thus also in cut scenes. But in gaming it self, it just counters draw distance and detail. I never got the hype of the Mr. Magoo mod, sorry, the worse mod, for watch dogs. Why would you want to be so short sighted, you couldn't pass a drivers test, in an open world driving game?

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I never got the hype of the Mr. Magoo mod, sorry, the worse mod, for watch dogs. Why would you want to be so short sighted, you couldn't pass a drivers test, in an open world driving game?

Ya I don't know why everybody viewed this mod as some graphical nirvana. If the world starts looking like that to me I would know I need to get some glasses.

Because depth of field is typically a characteristic of a fast prime or non-variable aperture lens. It's quite an expensive effect to chase in photography and cinema. It's meant to isolate your subject. People pay big bucks for it.

It's also a true characteristic of your eye. You can test it by putting out your thumb as far as your arm will reach. Focus on the background (with your eyes), and then focus on your thumb. Stay focused on your thumb as you bring it closer and closer to your eye until you're about 3 to 6 inches away. Observe the depth of field of the background.

I think it looks gorgeous.

It's not a true characteristic of your eye, because your eyes will (practically) always have what you're looking at in focus. Whereas with DoF in games, you can look off to the sides where everything's a blurry mess.

It's not a true characteristic of your eye, because your eyes will (practically) always have what you're looking at in focus. Whereas with DoF in games, you can look off to the sides where everything's a blurry mess.

This.

That's why it doesn't work in games. We have the freedom to look at whatever we want. I don't mind them using it in cutscenes to draw the player's attention to something, but not when the player is in control.

Also I don't think it's necessary because it's already impossible for our eyes to focus on the entire monitor's image. Our monitors are big enough that our eyes need to move around the screen to look at different objects. Not exactly the same as focusing on a more distant object in the real world, but close enough to make fake DOF seem redundant in games.

Not as bad as motion blur in games though, don't get me started on that...

It is a characteristic of your eye... near and far items will blur depending on what you're focused on. I didn't say developers are programming the effects to work like human eyes.

Most of the time the center of the screen or cursor/sights are in focus. I just move the mouse around to look at what I want. I think it helps add to most of the games I've played. It works well in Tomb Raider, Far Cry 3, Crysis 3, racing games... even Mark of the Ninja.

I guess to each his own, right?