Oculus Recommended Specs

WiiManic

riftblog.png

So, Oculus have released the recommended Specs for the upcoming Consumer version of the Rift.

The short answer is:

For the full Rift experience, we recommend the following system:

NVIDIA GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater
Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater
8GB+ RAM
Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output
2x USB 3.0 ports
Windows 7 SP1 or newer

Which really, is far better than what I expected them to want.

I'd still recommend waiting around for a release date, you will get more system for your money longer you wait.

But its exciting a £800~ PC can run it, and not the beast I was imagining.

Now, the other interesting thing is this second page "Powering the Rift"

This part goes into powering it a lot more and more detail, but the interesting part is:

...the Rift runs at 2160×1200 at 90Hz split over dual displays...

So we have a resolution for the rift as well! The Refresh was known, but the resolution was not. Identical to the Vive (to my knowledge).

So, there we have it. Some Specs, and the system you need to run it. If you want more info, I do recommend reading the pages, or for more specific Oculus content / discussion, try the subreddit.

(Not a news guys, Just an Oculus guy so sorry for any problems with formatting etc)

SOURCE : https://www.oculus.com/blog/the-rifts-recommended-spec-pc-sdk-0-6-released-and-mobile-vr-jam-voting/

EDIT:

New thing on the specs side from Palmer Luckey's Twitter (Founder)

CV1 displays are on the cutting edge of current display fabrication technology. Low persistence/high fill/90hz/global update is critical!

Quick description of that would be

Low Persistance - Display the image, then remove it and wait for the next image, instead of leaving it on screen. Reduces smear, increases Required Frame rates.

High Fill - Space between pixels, should help reduce screen door further, as well as the increase resolution.

Global Update - Update all pixels on the display at once, instead of scanning them to update. (Least sure on this , but thats my understanding?)

So whilst there are some VR enthusiasts who are not so pleased with this new resolution, there is a lot of tech behind these screens, and it does seem to be the best they could get.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

That is not that high recommendations, for the resolution you're playing at (and what kind of fps you would want)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I thought you were asking for one xD 

I am okay sort of but not on the CPU side 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

dat res though, i though they would ship cv1 with something like 1440p or higher, not something precisely in between 1080p and 1440p

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Hmm not sure about the resolution but I guess we will have to see once its out. Has anyone on here had much hands on time with the latest dev kit?

Honestly I'm surprised they weren't asking for higher, this is relatively obtainable for a lot more users. 

For the resolution they ask for and if you want to get constant 90hz, you'd probably want to get 970 SLI or higher with medium settings. Ofc, this could change with DX12

I expected a 980 and 290X for that res and refresh rate.

just how will the games be ??? I don't imagine them that demanding.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I would also have imagined that you would need more to maintain a constant 90fps+ at that resolution.  I could see the 970/290 being the minimum, but I would have expected the recommended to be higher.

Well i wasnt planning on getting one nor do i see it surviving long term...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

What AMD has that can compare to a i5 4590 also i don't think FX can keep up with the 290 and 970 so it seems AMD FX users may have a lesser experience than the intel users  :(

It won't matter what CPU you have as long as it isn't neutering your GPU or game specific bottlenecks aren't affecting it.

I'm going to buy one when the consumer models come out if only to try it, but I'm not all that excited for VR.  I'm looking forward to being proven wrong of course.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

I expected a 980 and 290X for that res and refresh rate.

Remember that there is not a huge gap between a 980 and a 970 or even a R9 290. At the resolution the rift is running almost anything a 980 can do a 290 will do too with maybe not more than 20% lower frame rate. And the 970 is normally faster than a 290. Where needed if the user just marginally drops the graphics settings they will be achieving the same framerates as a 980... In most games you could not tell the difference unless you have Fraps running.

IMO this recommendation was expected. Going meaningfully higher than this means that you are in the realm of halo products such as titan x or 295x2 which almost nobody has.

honestly this is reminding me slightly of the 12k ncix setup setup...its really too resource intensive for mass market, and pcs arent really ready for it overall.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

But the system requirements vary from game to game so this literally makes no sense.

a 970 or 290 can handle any game.

Also it's just an indicative recommendation. Not a hard minimum. Obviously you could even get a decent VR experience with a 960 or a r9 285 if you dial back graphics settings enough to maintain high framerates.

But the system requirements vary from game to game so this literally makes no sense.

You do bring up a good point.  They should have put out a guideline based on games.  Simply state that your graphics card and settings need to provide a stable 90+ fps at 2160×1200.  Then they could have provide a rough guide of to play X game at the resolution and frame rate will require Y card at Z settings. 

It gives developers a spec to build the system to, to make sure it runs at the required resolutions on that hardware.

We know that any First party or heavily Oculus involved stuff like Eve Valkyrie will work on this hardware, and work at the levels they deem appropriate.

Its less of a "Every single experience will run flawlessly on this", and more just "This is the specs we recommend user to have or up, and developers to aim for".

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

honestly this is reminding me slightly of the 12k ncix setup setup...its really too resource intensive for mass market, and pcs arent really ready for it overall.

Yep, people here think it's not a high requirement. But if you take the overall pc gaming ecosystem few people have as much power as a 290 or a 970. On steam hardware survey the most popular graphics is Intel HD4000 LOL. But I think oculus knows that their initial target market is tech enthusiasts like us who have powerful hardware. Not the average pc gamer, not until a bit later...

What AMD has that can compare to a i5 4590 also i don't think FX can keep up with the 290 and 970 so it seems AMD FX users may have a lesser experience than the intel users  :(

The rift is not launching until Q1 2016 so anyone on a 6350 or 8350 should really be looking to upgrade by then anyway. Also Zen should only be 3-6 months after the Rift launch.

Hopefully HTC will release their specs for the consumer Vive soon.

@Gibbons either way , if Windows 10 won't improve the 6 and 8 cores AMD parts overall speeds , AMD's gonna get *d till the new Zen processors come out .. inb4 Intel desktop CPU monopoly

CPU : i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Cooler : NH-D14 | GPU : Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 [OC] | MB : Asus Z87-Pro | RAM : A-DATA 8GB 1600Mhz CL9 XPG Black | SSD : 850Evo 250GB

The rift is not launching until Q1 2016 so anyone on a 6350 or 8350 should really be looking to upgrade by then anyway. Also Zen should only be 3-6 months after the Rift launch.

Hopefully HTC will release their specs for the consumer Vive soon.

Alone for latency reasons I would expect (and hope) most games that target the rift/vive/whatever3d to be using vulkan/dx12. So I think the 8350 may run better then you expect. And for the same reason hyper threading may bring some noticeable performance gain.

But first we will be limited by raw GPU power anyway.

I am seriously thinking about buying re-vive specifically because its the underdog in the current market against the Oculus/Samsung Gear VR and Oculus Rift. Besides I prefer how it looks! When i built my system I didn't know the specs required for the CV1 so used a 980 which drives my DK2 fine. Personally I suspect that the 970 really is minimum spec and its likely that 980 or 980ti will be be actual minimum in due course.

This so much reminds me of the days of Voodoo graphics, of games minimum spec. being just about OK but everyone desperate for more computational power. I strongly suspect I will be investing in Volta level graphics so I can drive the my new 8K+ VR display at 120Hz in 2017/8.  I suspect both oculus and valve wanted to use a higher spec criteria but are limited by the cost/performance for current graphics cards.

riftblog.png

So, Oculus have released the recommended Specs for the upcoming Consumer version of the Rift.

The short answer is:

Which really, is far better than what I expected them to want.

I'd still recommend waiting around for a release date, you will get more system for your money longer you wait.

But its exciting a £800~ PC can run it, and not the beast I was imagining.

Now, the other interesting thing is this second page "Powering the Rift"

This part goes into powering it a lot more and more detail, but the interesting part is:

So we have a resolution for the rift as well! The Refresh was known, but the resolution was not. Identical to the Vive (to my knowledge).

So, there we have it. Some Specs, and the system you need to run it. If you want more info, I do recommend reading the pages, or for more specific Oculus content / discussion, try the subreddit.

(Not a news guys, Just an Oculus guy so sorry for any problems with formatting etc)

SOURCE : https://www.oculus.com/blog/the-rifts-recommended-spec-pc-sdk-0-6-released-and-mobile-vr-jam-voting/

Hang on, correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the 970 use HDMI1.2?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)