Blizzard bans more than 100,000 WoW accounts.

DevilishBooster

Video game news is always getting posted. 

Because the mods gave up, not because it's "fine".

Video game crap all over Tech news is a plague at best.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Using that logic then let's post all gaming news here then... yeah let's delete the Gaming sub-forum and rename this one Tech & Gaming News. There's a lot of gaming threads in this area lately anyways, seems fitting. 

Yeah when I posted about ex wipeOut devs doing a PC successor, I hesitated to post here. I mean... everybody does it. But then, I thought that is was just a gaming news so I posted in the gaming forum. I hesitated cause it surely gives more exposure here and I wanted to help the devs reaching that kickstarter goal. But you know, respect the rules before your own's interest... Seems like everybody post here in the hopes of getting on the WAN Show. 

Maybe we should have a "Gaming News" sub-forum. So game news won't be in here but won't get lost in "the trouble shooting and need for advices" that is the actual gaming forum. 

Pretty ballsy move of Blizzard. The population in WoW is shrinking pretty quickly and I think a lot of people will find other things to do during these 6 months.

I've heard even people who used fishing bots got 6 month bans, which seems like a pretty harsh punishment for a petty crime. Or maybe fishing got super hardcore after I left.

The bans mostly focused on people using a particular bot that can be used for honour farming, combat execution or fishing and herb/ore collection. So instead of banning only those that used it in PvP and PvE fights, they just banned all of the people they detected using the botting software.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

7.1m? thats still pretty high.... ye its half of their peak in wow3, but still high

i guess a lot of people are still enslaved by it

post-30533-0-49209900-1431729056.jpg

100K huh?  Least the ban hammer was generous with a 6-month ban...

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Woah... 100K+ players is a loooottt. And it's also for a very valid reason too, to clean up the PvP servers of the cheaters, which I clearly understand.

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

GJ Blizzard!

"You can´t spell SLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER!^^"

7.1 million active subscribers? Damn. It was only a few years ago that it was close to double that.

Then again I haven't played in close to 6 months, and i'm okay with this.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Pretty ballsy move of Blizzard. The population in WoW is shrinking pretty quickly and I think a lot of people will find other things to do during these 6 months.

I've heard even people who used fishing bots got 6 month bans, which seems like a pretty harsh punishment for a petty crime. Or maybe fishing got super hardcore after I left.

Ballsy for banning cheaters because of their sub numbers dropping?

Are you high?

Ballsy for banning cheaters because of their sub numbers dropping?

Are you high?

It's pretty ballsy to ban several hundred thousands of paying customers when your customer base is also shrinking on its own.

Especially since (other than the PVP bots) the botters did not have a negative effect on the legitimate players, and a lot of the banned people will probably find other games to play during the ban.

It's pretty ballsy to ban several hundred thousands of paying customers when your customer base is also shrinking on its own.

Especially since (other than the PVP bots) the botters did not have a negative effect on the legitimate players, and a lot of the banned people will probably find other games to play during the ban.

They do have a negative effect on legitimate players. That's why it's called cheating. There's rules in a game that you have to follow and Blizzard is enforcing them.

This isn't "ballsy". ArenaNet (especially even, since they don't even charge a sub fee) did the same thing with cheaters in their game and will continue to do so.

They do have a negative effect on legitimate players. That's why it's called cheating. There's rules in a game that you have to follow and Blizzard is enforcing them.

This isn't "ballsy". ArenaNet (especially even, since they don't even charge a sub fee) did the same thing with cheaters in their game and will continue to do so.

How does someone using a fishing/gathering bot or a bot to help them with their rotation have a negative effect on other players?

Cheating and negatively effecting other players are not synonyms.

How does someone using a fishing/gathering bot or a bot to help them with their rotation have a negative effect on other players?

Cheating and negatively effecting other players are not synonyms.

Yes it is. Do you even play video games, namely MMO's? Cheaters ruin the game for everyone else. Botters ruined the Guild Wars 2 economy for the first few months or so of release. Botters are cheating to get ahead of people who are actually playing the game.

Period.

Nice deb8 m8

Haha, nice! As someone who still plays this game, for like 10 years, this made me laugh when i saw it :)

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Yes it is. Do you even play video games, namely MMO's? Cheaters ruin the game for everyone else. Botters ruined the Guild Wars 2 economy for the first few months or so of release. Botters are cheating to get ahead of people who are actually playing the game.

Period.

Nice deb8 m8

I really don't see how someone using for example a fishing bot to get old Ironjaw in Ironforge ruins the game for anyone. Or how someone using a bot for their rotation ruins the game for the other people in the party.

I totally get banning people who use bots for PVP, because that certainly makes the game worse for the others, but I really don't see how the other bots ruins anything.

It reminds me of Felicity in Tera (an MMO I am playing). It's an auto gathering pet. If you have it out and walk past something that can be gathered, the pet will gather it for you. People afk in areas where lots of gathering stuff spawns, and when they come back they got thousands of fibers/ore/essence. Prices has definitely dropped but it has made the game more enjoyable since a lot of the boring grinding has been taken care of.

Everyone wins in that scenario.

If someone does it in a raid then you will have a better play in your party (the PvE bots still require you to be active and move your character, they just take care of the DPS rotation). If someone has to use a bot for PvE then they are pretty not that good anyway so the other party members benefit from it.

If someone uses a bot to gather then the mats will become cheaper, which allows you to spend less time doing boring gathering which I remember spending countless hours doing.

I really don't see how someone using for example a fishing bot to get old Ironjaw in Ironforge ruins the game for anyone. Or how someone using a bot for their rotation ruins the game for the other people in the party.

I totally get banning people who use bots for PVP, because that certainly makes the game worse for the others, but I really don't see how the other bots ruins anything.

It reminds me of Felicity in Tera (an MMO I am playing). It's an auto gathering pet. If you have it out and walk past something that can be gathered, the pet will gather it for you. People afk in areas where lots of gathering stuff spawns, and when they come back they got thousands of fibers/ore/essence. Prices has definitely dropped but it has made the game more enjoyable since a lot of the boring grinding has been taken care of.

Everyone wins in that scenario.

People using bots in WoW is not the same as using a game's mechanic in Tera.

People using bots in WoW is not the same as using a game's mechanic in Tera.

Why not? The results are the same (when talking about the "negative effect" it has on other players).

Just to clarify, I am not saying that Blizzard shouldn't ban people breaking the rules. I just think that it takes some balls to do such a massive ban wave when their subscriber numbers are already going down quite rapidly. Removing 100,000 paying subscribers from your service, even if it makes the service better, is a risky move.

What I disagree with you about is that I don't think some bots have a negative effect on the players that don't use bots.

Why not? The results are the same (when talking about the "negative effect" it has on other players).

Just to clarify, I am not saying that Blizzard shouldn't ban people breaking the rules. I just think that it takes some balls to do such a massive ban wave when their subscriber numbers are already going down quite rapidly. Removing 100,000 paying subscribers from your service, even if it makes the service better, is a risky move.

What I disagree with you about is that I don't think some bots have a negative effect on the players that don't use bots.

Again, it's not fair to the people who are actually playing the game according to it's set of rules given to every player while these cheaters use bots to play the game for them. That has a negative effect on the players who are actually playing the fucking game. This talk of "It's not affecting the other players!" isn't the point.

It's not "ballsy" for them to enforce their rules. It doesn't matter how many subscribers they're losing. I'd do the math on how many cheaters there are per legit player, but that much should be obvious.

WoW, old times.

Never forget. RIP.

But still WoW is the best mmorpg out there.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

10/10 best joke today

10/10 best joke today

Name an MMO with a better combination of polish, combat mechanics and content.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Thats like saying "My shit is the best smelling shit in the world".....

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Name an MMO with a better combination of polish, combat mechanics and content.

By the end of the year with that criteria it'll be Guild Wars 2. I'd even say it's better right now.

Again, it's not fair to the people who are actually playing the game according to it's set of rules given to every player while these cheaters use bots to play the game for them. That has a negative effect on the players who are actually playing the fucking game. This talk of "It's not affecting the other players!" isn't the point.

How does it negatively effect players? I would like some examples please.

It's not "ballsy" for them to enforce their rules. It doesn't matter how many subscribers they're losing. I'd do the math on how many cheaters there are per legit player, but that much should be obvious.

Well we will just have to agree to disagree on that. Some sites say that the number is upwards 400,000, and willingly kick out 400,000 paying subscribers will result in them making about 6 million dollars less the next month.

If all of them were planning on playing for the next 6 months then Blizzard just lost customers worth up to 36 million dollars.