dumb ways you thought PCs worked

when i was 12 my brother and i wanted GTA4, my brother was really interested in it and i saw it on youtube and was slightly interested.

but i liked BF3 on my PS3 better and i thought if my brother would of gotten GTA4 it would of gotten in the way of my BF3, so i had a genius plan.

i would tell my mom to buy it on PC so i can play my BF3 and my brother can play GTA4, at the time i thought it was a genius idea because i thought PCs worked like consoles and you just put the game in and BAM! GTA4.

I couldn't have been more wrong. BUT WAIT I HAD A SOLUTION, my mom called gamestop and told them "is this game a powerpoint simulator? lol lmfao" (she didn't actually say that) but they told her you need a better Graphics card and i thought a graphics card was literally a card that you just slid in one of the SD/micro SD ports on the front of my PC...

So have you ever been this way about PCs before? :P

When I had the original XBox, i had no idea that live existed.

Nope, Before i use something i research it, Have always done that. Before i used a bike when i was 4-5 years old i learned how it worked. I dont like to use something that i dont know how it works. The same thing with computers, The first time i used a computer i tried it and opened it up to see what happened if i took things out.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

Nope, Before i use something i research it, Have always done that. Before i used a bike when i was 4-5 years old i learned how it worked. I dont like to use something that i dont know how it works. The same thing with computers, The first time i used a computer i tried it and opened it up to see what happened if i took things out.

you sound a lot like james may :^)

you sound a lot like james may :^)

Rather like some madman who cant accept using stuff he dont know how it works, And will shout "Witchcraft" if he cant understand it..

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

I used to think 10-16 core server professors would be the best for gaming, that was 2 years ago before I knew anything.

I Remember when everyone thought that Xeon Where Crazy Game Processors

Current: R2600X@4.0GHz\\ Corsair Air 280x \\ RTX 2070 \\ 16GB DDR3 2666 \\ 1KW EVGA Supernova\\ Asus B450 TUF

Old Systems: A6 5200 APU -- A10 7800K + HD6670 -- FX 9370 + 2X R9 290 -- G3258 + R9 280 -- 4690K + RX480

Once, many years ago, I thought more RAM would make my PC faster, so i got some.

It did, but only because I only had 1GB, and was trying to play games. I'm smarter now lol.

I don't do signatures.

My Worst would be when i first started getting into computers around 14 i bought a Gateway with a quadcore AMD CPU running at 1.7ghz i thought wow it must be fast since its quad core at the time single core was the norm almost NOTHING took any advantage of the Quadcore at the time. I then upgraded the GPU to some cheap $120.00 Graphics card from bestbuy  and it ran all games at maybe med 30fps  low res and then  later on i decided i wanted something better so i upgraded it to a HD 5770 OC edition and bought a Power supply cheapest one i could not knowing that it mattered at the time installed both in my computer but later found out the pross Completely bottlenecked the thing so bad i maybe got a 10% improvement in performance when i should of been able to triple it from what i saw others running benchmarks online. then about 3 months later the Computer died and i never got it working and junked the Computer besides the graphics card and now looking back with  my knowledge now it almost seems obvious the power supply was the reason it died at the time i had no idea at all. 

When I was like 13ish and had my Pentium 4 PC I wanted to move it to the Thermaltake Lanfire case [you know, 13yo, flames and stuff] and there was a passive cooler on the CPU that was connected with some sort of shroud to the front intake fan, I didn't like the look of it, so I just didnt install it. Oh and the TT case had a probe for a thermostat in the front, I put that below the CPU, cause you know, it fit between the pins x).

Surprisingly enough, the only thing that broke in the end was the HDD, of old age x)

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

When I had my first PC I never really thought about how it worked, but assumed it was something like a car engine. Thought that it pulled air in, did something mechanical with it, and blew exhaust out the other end. This was when we had the first computer in my house though, so when I was about seven.

I knew I loved this forum for something other then tech, I love all the top gear references you guys are just awesome. I hope they get to make House of Cars on Netflix, with out  these 3 the new British top gear is going to suck.  Our first PC was an old ibm 386, and I thought the clunking sound the hard drive made was normal.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

I fell into the GHz myth in the early 2000s.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

One of the PC broke after we had a power outage and the when the power came back on it fried it's PSU. I took it out and noticed it had a 10 pin power connector (really a 20 pin power connector). For some reason I only counted the one sided and was googling "computer power supply 10 pin power connector"

Found out later you can take break away 4 pins on a 24 pin connector. Luckily we had a Thermaltake PSU in a old broken gaming computer we could use to replace the broken one with.

CPU: 3770K | Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula | GPU: GTX 1080Ti SLI | Ram: 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 | PSU: Corsair AX1200i | Storage: 2x Samsung 840 pros | Case: Corsair 650D | Cooler:  Corsair H100i with Noctus NF-F12 fans | Monitor: Asus ROG Swift PG278Q

I thought Windows was a good OS until I tried OS X

*braces for impact*

I thought they did math like us, they don't.

" My perception of computers will never be the same when I took that IT class ... "

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

" My perception of computers will never be the same when I took that IT class ... "

seems the more I learn the more I realize I don't know a damn thing.

When I was 14 I thought all you had to do was drag the iso file onto the CD drive to burn it. I was so confused when it would not boot off the CD.