Freightliner unveils the first road-legal self-driving truck

Ethnod

And so it starts, the road to the end of the truck driving industry as we know it. Not sure its a bad thing to be honest as its a pretty terrible job with long ass hours and a very unsociable life but none the less the end we all know was coming is starting.

15C466_019-980x735.jpg

Maybe its my time playing ETS but its a good lucking truck :)

So on the 5th of May there was a ceremony on the Hoover Dam (I am sure there is some significance there but it escapes me tbh) where the truck, called Inspiration Truck, was officially given an autonomous vehicle license plate (which to me looks very different from regular plates if you check the pictures, but then again I am not from the US) by the governor of Nevada.

For the moment there is no pricing, details of availability or anything like that as this was a symbolic first step and there will be a lot of testing and also the US federal government has yet to make up their minds or even make rules for this but in reality they need to get their asses in gear as innovation waits for no man.

15C466_012-980x735.jpg

The Inspiration Truck has the same rating as the Google self-driving car which means its fully autonomous but yet a driver can take over needed or the desire is there. It also means that the Truck would be theoretically be able to drive it’s self for hundreds of miles without any issues. Although we will need to also invent an automated refuelling system for these trucks if that is to be the case.

15C466_003-980x735.jpg

Daimler, the parent company, is pitching this to the industry as a fix for driver fatigue. According to the article 90% of all truck involves accidents are driver error (although that does not seem right tbh, maybe driver error and not truck driver error but sure) and 1/8 of them are due to driver fatigue and this could drastically help with that. I am sure K.I.T. will come into it soon enough where K.I.T. will take over if you are tired or start drifting or even have a heart attack, an LSD flashback or something.

So The Inspiration Truck uses "Highway Pilot" which is Daimler's autonomous driving technology. This tech uses a combination of radar, stereo computer vision, and other sensors to stay on the road but will need a driver to always be in the truck in case someone needs to take over or there are no road markings as seems that it uses this also to steer.

All we need is for these lights to start rolling left to right and back :P

15C466_026-980x735.jpg

Wont be long now, between Audi, Google, Mercedes, Tesla… the future is looking safer every day J

Source:

http://arstechnica.com/cars/2015/05/freightliner-unveils-the-first-road-legal-self-driving-truck/

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

I feel like it will help cut down on drivers being too tired but for things like parking or driving in small towns or cities, I feel a driver will still be needed for a few years at the least.

Source please?

edit: I am also curious as to how things like this will effect the classes needed for a commercial license.

This will require a lot of learning on behalf of the operators, inspectors, and mechanics. This should be interesting.

“Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.”- Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

"Oh, beauty is a beguiling call to death and I'm addicted to the sweet pitch of its siren."- Johnny Quid

"Without our imaginations, we'd be like all those other poor... dullards."- Dr. Hannibal Lecter

Seriously, just takes the fun out of driving. But not a semi, not at all.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Damn this is good. Those truck drivers often make long hours and then mess up because they are very tired, this could really help with that! 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

That is one GOOD looking truck

not everyone likes driving

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

So ... the Driver can be free of driving but still needs to be in the truck in case something happened ? Well that's great ... Driving can be a stressful job ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

So ... the Driver can be free of driving but still needs to be in the truck in case something happened ? Well that's great ... Driving can be a stressful job ... 

Exactly, the driver can rest and only be needed in case of something the computer might not be able to do or deal with.

Driving the entire day (and night) doesn't sound all that fun. 

On a side note, I really would like to try driving a semi with at least an 11-speed crashbox. 

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

That is one GOOD looking truck

not everyone likes driving

I would love driving. especially just feeling a car just strain while curving, etc.

Driving the entire day (and night) doesn't sound all that fun. 

On a side note, I really would like to try driving a semi with at least an 11-speed crashbox. 

Of course not, driving long periods of time isn't good for you anyway.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I would love driving. especially just feeling a car just strain while curving, etc.

Yeah but not everyone does, and lots of people have to drive for work purposes in a shitty company car, like the sales staff for my company spend half their day on the motorway  etc , its boring as hell and they could do their emails and paperwork in the car instead of staring at the road for half their working hours

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I would be scared as fuck to be anywhere near that vehicle.

If it fucks up in any way the damage it will make will be lot bigger and much deadlier to drivers nearby.

Why can't they license a personal vehicle 1st, step it up to a van and then truck :/

On the other note Taxi drivers and truck drivers will be thing of the past in few decades. Kinda mind blowing if u ask me !

Devils advocate: Un-employment increase for future generations.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Really, this will make unemployment worse in america. just wait. america will suffer.

Exactly, the driver can rest and only be needed in case of something the computer might not be able to do or deal with.

Now the real question is ... Will those Drivers get a raise or a wage cut ?

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

This was in my local news and all the people are scared of this technology.

Lord of Helium.

Source please?

edit: I am also curious as to how things like this will effect the classes needed for a commercial license.

This will require a lot of learning on behalf of the operators, inspectors, and mechanics. This should be interesting.

Not sure where the OP got his source from, it could be this story that Verge put up yesterday.

Rock On!

this i like. I could get behind this. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

And so it starts, the road to the end of the truck driving industry as we know it. 

Really, this will make unemployment worse in america. just wait. america will suffer.

Why would this "end the truck driving industry" like the OP said?

This is an example of how progress and technology have improved the industry—making it faster, far safer, and more reliable than it was.

yesterday's weirdness is tomorrow's reason why

No doubt a driver will have to be present and I thought Mercedes was there first, also i heard Japan was trialing autonomous trucks awhile ago :S

No doubt a driver will have to be present and I thought Mercedes was there first, also i heard Japan was trialing autonomous trucks awhile ago :S

this one is road legal. That's the difference

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

why dont we have a system of trucks linked to computers such running applications that resembled ETS that way  truck drivers could stay home and still drive all day and get paid for it (and get to be with their families in the afternoon) xD

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Source please?

Was in work, totally forgot :/

Updated now

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly