HP launches new desktop with AMD R9 380 GPU

ahhming

Earlier this day, HP announced its newest line of desktop PCs, one of which comes with a curious-sounding Radeon R9 380 graphics card.  Not much information is know yet as the product page still do not exist . The R9 380 could either be a re-branded R9 285, or be based on its "Tonga" silicon, which physically features 2,048 stream processors based on Graphics CoreNext (GCN) 1.2 architecture, and a 384-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface. Another theory states that the R9 380 could be an OEM-only re-brand of the R9 280 or R9 280X, based on the 3+ year old "Tahiti" silicon.

The $899 Envy Phoenix will feature closed-looped liquid cooling. To make the most of that, HP will also offer unlocked Intel CPUs, and the company said the machines will come from the factory with overclocking options

hp-envy-phoenix-desktop_front-facing-100
post-9623-0-64140900-1430737701.png

Powerful and stylish, the HP ENVY Tower is designed for content creators who need high-performance processors and strong graphics capabilities for editing videos and photos. For performance, customers have the choice of up to NVIDIA GTX 980 or AMD Radeon™ R9 380 discrete graphics with support for fourth generation Intel® Core™ i5 and i7 processors(2) or next generation AMD A-Series A8 through FX processors.

Source:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2917583/hp-beckons-back-to-schoolers-with-pavilion-envy-and-envy-phoenix-pcs-plus-a-4k-display.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2917629/hp-outs-new-amd-r9-380-and-two-other-unannounced-radeons-in-new-systems.html

http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/hp-reinvents-the-desktop-category-with-next-wave-of-2015-back-to-school-pcs-nyse-hpq-2015778.htm

http://www.hp.com/go/envy-desktop    (not live yet)

GTX980 or R9 380 'discrete graphics'. I'd hate to see what HP considers a GTX750 to be. Someone at HP is a little too used to Quad TitanXs already.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

The fact that they compare it to a 980 however does point to the being more than a 280x rebrand, it should be at least a 290x.

I'm still hoping they use this time to make more than just two new cards.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

GTX980 or R9 380 'discrete graphics'. I can't think of anything less discrete than those...

A tesla k80?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Wow, I wonder when we see benchmarks

Holding on upgrade on GTX 970, want to see what AMD has to offer

Finally got PS4 Pro

Or it could just be that HP is just pulling our legs...

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

@ahhming update, it seems the product page has been taken down

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

The fact that they compare it to a 980 however does point to the being more than a 280x rebrand, it should be at least a 290x.

Exactly what I was going to say. I highly doubt that they would put a 980 and a 280x in the same designed system configurations, it's got to be at least as powerful as the 290 for this sort of marketing to make real sense.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

that price point though. For once I dont feel like the system is watered down for the amount of money being paid , but its early yet

Do not buy this product.  Seriously build a pc yourself or pay $50 for NCIX or whoever to build it for you.  All I have seen is misery for people who buy this crap.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

A tesla k80?

not a graphics card as such ;)

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

Do not buy this product.  Seriously build a pc yourself or pay $50 for NCIX or whoever to build it for you.  All I have seen is misery for people who buy this crap.

I don't think anyone on here would buy this...

waffle waffle waffle on and on and on

not a graphics card as such ;)

What about an r9 295x2 then?

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I don't think anyone on here would buy this...

If this post:

I doubt they are, but I am a bit skeptical myself.

They said the new Envy offers an unlocked Intel CPU with a full water-cooling loop & the 380 for $899. Seems too good to be true

Is true, Then plenty will be buying it because there is no way even with the conversion rate, anyone in Australia will be able to beat it DIY, especially when you consider all the extras HP throw in like free back to base shipping under warranty and  24/7 phone support for both hardware and software.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Or maybe they think that they cannot out a card with too high of a tdp in that kind of case because this case looks to have very limited air flow even less than a h440

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

Or maybe they think that they cannot out a card with too high of a tdp in that kind of case because this case looks to have very limited air flow even less than a h440

But then why even advertise it alongside a 980? Besides, even with relatively little airflow a single r9 290/x should be fine.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I don't think their comparing the two cards. They might instead be mentioning them both to highlight the range of graphics options available to the user, especially since their offering a whole bunch of cpu configurations such as the Intel core i7 and amd a-series apus.

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

I doubt they are, but I am a bit skeptical myself.

They said the new Envy offers an unlocked Intel CPU with a full water-cooling loop & the 380 for $899. Seems too good to be true

It most likely means that $899 is the base price, with higher end models costing more.
Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

It most likely means that $899 is the base price, with higher end models costing more.

there's no doubt in my mind

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

But then why even advertise it alongside a 980? Besides, even with relatively little airflow a single r9 290/x should be fine.

Because if the consumer wants a AMD card absolutely than he will know for sure he can get one and which one.

Edit: I dont think its about comapring the two

Cpu:i5-4690k Gpu:r9 280x with some other things

It will be -very- interesting if a base R9 380 is able to compete head to head with a 980.  There've been so many rumors over the last few months of half if not all being rebrands and then the rumors of earlier saying they'll be all new, but--if the 380 can compete with a 980.. I can only imagine the 380x will be some -insane- value, and the 390 / 390x will be competing against the Titan X, or sailing past it for a much cheaper price-point.  (Even $700-$800).  All speculation of course, but very exciting.  That and I kind of like that case's brushed metal.  

Look how excited everyone is of new AMD cards... every time... way more exited than for nvidia cards

Everyone is waiting for new AMD cards to be able to buy a little bit cheaper nvidia cards

Wonder if they got a micro-atx or mini-itx board in there...that case does look really appealing to me.