[Will be updating] How To & Why: QuickSync and Open Broadcaster Software [Picture heavy]

So yeah my guide was made mostly for people like me with an i3 and the like, with any i7 just go ahead and use x264 because you can.

Thanks for the extra info but I was mostly kidding I kinda figured things with an i7 should be fine

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

Hm i don't know why but every time i run obs with quick synch  QSVHelper.exe crashes.Happens on both 32 and 64 bit. Tried using older versions of obs but same thing happens , drivers are up to date , tried with older driver still same thing.

It happens right after 3-10 mins during recording. Sometimes i also get another error when i start recording saying unable to find quick synch support. 

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

Hm i don't know why but every time i run obs with quick synch  QSVHelper.exe crashes.Happens on both 32 and 64 bit. Tried using older versions of obs but same thing happens , drivers are up to date , tried with older driver still same thing.

It happens right after 3-10 mins during recording. Sometimes i also get another error when i start recording saying unable to find quick synch support. 

Does still sound like a driver problem to me.

Does still sound like a driver problem to me.

Hm i hooked up my old vga monitor  and also dedicated 1gb ram for the igpu  and didn't have a single crash since then. Maybe quick synch has issues with virtual monitors and that's why i got crashes.

Rig:Crimson Impaler | CPU: i3 4160 | Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 Evo | Motherboard: Asrock B85M - DGS | RAM: Kingston Hyper X Savage 16GB kit (2x8) DDR3 1600MHZ CL9 | GPU: Asus Radeon R7 360 | PSU: Corsair CX 430 V2 | Storage: HDD WD 1TB Blue | Case: Delux DLC-MG866

~Half the world is composed of idiots, the other half of people clever enough to take indecent advantage of them.~

• 2 months later...

does quicksync only work on intel or does it also work on an AMD processor?

Intel only (Sandy Bridge +)

• 4 weeks later...
I need to find a way to have OBS ignore skype audio. I'm going to be doing some gaming related videos, but one thing I find annoying is when Skype calls interfere with the audio when editting, I want to use skype to avoid going insane while recording and getting footage.

Is there any way to do this? Thought I'd ask in this post since it's well written and helpful, and also related to OBS, I'll definitely be going over a few adjustments on OBS using the information provided as well, thanks for that!

I need to find a way to have OBS ignore skype audio. I'm going to be doing some gaming related videos, but one thing I find annoying is when Skype calls interfere with the audio when editting, I want to use skype to avoid going insane while recording and getting footage.

Is there any way to do this? Thought I'd ask in this post since it's well written and helpful, and also related to OBS, I'll definitely be going over a few adjustments on OBS using the information provided as well, thanks for that!

You can thank Windows for this one, OBS records at an audio device level, not per program level. So if you have Skype using the same speakers as whatever you use to edit, it will show up in OBS. Only way you can fix this is to use a different audio output for Skype.

You can thank Windows for this one, OBS records at an audio device level, not per program level. So if you have Skype using the same speakers as whatever you use to edit, it will show up in OBS. Only way you can fix this is to use a different audio output for Skype.

thanks, I'll try messing around with some settings and see what I can do

Thanks for the guide, this is the only way i can actually record games on my PC, every other way isn't good or i had to spend money on it, also i finally have a use for the iGP on the CPU first time it does something since i bought this PC, also instead of plugging a monitor to the mobo video ports i did what the video guide and @Zappin suggested in its guide, make a virtual monitor, if i used my second monitor with the iGP it looks really blurry, not sure what causes that but i'm guess i has to do with WDDM since the iGP only goes up to 1.2 while my GTX 560 goes to 1.3, i'm running windows 10 too but that the only issue i ran into and it was a very easy fix, everything else has been flawless.

Something i did different that your guide was lowering the bitrate, 60k is overkill IMO, lowered it to 30k and there's almost no noticeable difference in the video quality and given that ill most likely upload that to Youtube anyways it looks more that enough, though i have only tried one game, probably going to end up using different rates per game.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Thanks for the guide, this is the only way i can actually record games on my PC, every other way isn't good or i had to spend money on it, also i finally have a use for the iGP on the CPU first time it does something since i bought this PC, also instead of plugging a monitor to the mobo video ports i did what the video guide and @Zappin suggested in its guide, make a virtual monitor, if i used my second monitor with the iGP it looks really blurry, not sure what causes that but i'm guess i has to do with WDDM since the iGP only goes up to 1.2 while my GTX 560 goes to 1.3, i'm running windows 10 too but that the only issue i ran into and it was a very easy fix, everything else has been flawless.

Something i did different that your guide was lowering the bitrate, 60k is overkill IMO, lowered it to 30k and there's almost no noticeable difference in the video quality and given that ill most likely upload that to Youtube anyways it looks more that enough, though i have only tried one game, probably going to end up using different rates per game.

You might want to add 200 milliseconds global audio sync offset to the advanced tab in obs (If you have video delay) which in my case i did.

I used 60k as an example to show just how high quality you can go. Some games don't ever need it but it helps on really high action games with lots of particles and the like.

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

your user name though. Rainbow Vomit

xD It's because the inside of my computer looks like a rainbow vomited in it.

4 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

xD It's because the inside of my computer looks like a rainbow vomited in it.

Pictures??

18 minutes ago, TheSlicingEdge said:

Pictures??

Won't be as glorious now because I've actually done some cable management but here.

IMG_20160501_174349[1].jpg

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Won't be as glorious now because I've actually done some cable management but here.

IMG_20160501_174349[1].jpg

seems dusty..

Just now, TheSlicingEdge said:

seems dusty..

I cleaned it yesterday. xD

huh...

It's really dusty here, doesn't help it's sitting on the carpet, has terrible pressure, and no filters.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

It's really dusty here, doesn't help it's sitting on the carpet, has terrible pressure, and no filters.

oh.

oh.

Yep, it's amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

you lost me at hook display into mobo

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

1 minute ago, Nexxus said:

you lost me at hook display into mobo

Not sure how, there's no hidden meaning to it.

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Not sure how, there's no hidden meaning to it.

as in I lost any desire to try this

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit