[Will be updating] How To & Why: QuickSync and Open Broadcaster Software [Picture heavy]

Can you post a screenshot of the main window on OBS?

post-1744-0-09082400-1430436459.jpg

You over estimate my memory. :D

I think you drink touch beer or you did after our conversation.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Can you post a screenshot of the main window on OBS?

Sure! Here it is:

ozVIOVc.png

I set it up for a game I always play and would like to record (not stream to twitch or anything).

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I think you drink touch beer or you did after our conversation.

:ph34r:

Sure! Here it is:

I set it up for a game I always play and would like to record (not stream to twitch or anything).

Can you show the properties of AA:PG and your audio settings?

Can you show the properties of AA:PG and your audio settings?

Here!

wKE1kBi.png

uWoRGkT.png

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Here!

Okay, when you record, alt tab and check if the red volume thing on the main window is indeed red and and you can see a fluctuating green bar underneath corresponding to the audio. It might also see if the game shows up on the preview window.

The sound bar moves but I can't see the preview. The thing you had me check the properties of changes to this when I launch the game:

vOlwo3l.png

Is that supposed to happen?

(if I don't reply immediately I have left to get some stuff at the store but I will be back later to test solutions etc)

The sound bar moves but I can't see the preview. The thing you had me check the properties of changes to this when I launch the game:

(if I don't reply immediately I have left to get some stuff at the store but I will be back later to test solutions etc)

If it's changing off of the game, that explains why it's showing a black screen. Not sure why it's doing that. You can recreate the scene and reset the application to the game.

I sometimes get a black screen as well, and I have yet to find a pattern to it. Sometimes, OBS shows the game, sometimes it doesn't. I need to dig into my settings to get to the bottom of it, it can be any number of things.

On top of that, my microphone started working all of a sudden, which it hasn't before. No changes to any settings. I'll have to dig into that as well.

I'll say one thing though - enabling Quick Sync has made a WORLD of difference in-game!

I sometimes get a black screen as well, and I have yet to find a pattern to it. Sometimes, OBS shows the game, sometimes it doesn't. I need to dig into my settings to get to the bottom of it, it can be any number of things.

On top of that, my microphone started working all of a sudden, which it hasn't before. No changes to any settings. I'll have to dig into that as well.

I'll say one thing though - enabling Quick Sync has made a WORLD of difference in-game!

I've found that if it doesn't show the game, alt tabbing might help fix it. Maybe running in borderless window does too, needs further testing on my part.

I've found that if it doesn't show the game, alt tabbing might help fix it. Maybe running in borderless window does too, needs further testing on my part.

Yeah, alt-tabbing sometimes helps, that's true.

Yeah, alt-tabbing sometimes helps, that's true.

Hopefully after I've done some testing and I update the guide with solid fixes. OBS is a lot of hit or miss it seems. But when it's working it's awesome. :D

Hopefully after I've done some testing and I update the guide with solid fixes. OBS is a lot of hit or miss it seems. But when it's working it's awesome. :D

Oh, I found a link that you probably have read already, but here it is anyways. I'm mostly posting it due to the fact that some users might not have an extra monitor etc, so here's a link on how to "fake" an extra monitor:

http://www.helping-squad.com/fake-connect-a-monitor/

I didn't need to use it myself luckily, but others might benefit, and you could work it into your guide if need be.

Oh, I found a link that you probably have read already, but here it is anyways. I'm mostly posting it due to the fact that some users might not have an extra monitor etc, so here's a link on how to "fake" an extra monitor:

http://www.helping-squad.com/fake-connect-a-monitor/

I didn't need to use it myself luckily, but others might benefit, and you could work it into your guide if need be.

I haven't actually. :o I'll give that a read and try it out myself.

I haven't actually. :o I'll give that a read and try it out myself.

They link to it from inside the "how-to" Quick Sync OBS: https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/how-to-use-quicksync.82/but that is such a short stub, your guide is much more comprehensive and an easy read for n00bs like myself and - I'm sure - other people getting started with recording and/or streaming.

If it's changing off of the game, that explains why it's showing a black screen. Not sure why it's doing that. You can recreate the scene and reset the application to the game.

Well that didn't fix it...but I got curious and created a scene for another game, and it works just fine. Is it possible OBS doesn't work with certain games?

Oh, and I used alt-tab to check it the first time around, how I noticed it was switching whenever the game was actually summoned. I'll try again. :)

Well that didn't fix it...but I got curious and created a scene for another game, and it works just fine. Is it possible OBS doesn't work with certain games?

It is, I know for example that it doesn't detect EE when I tried to record that.

It is, I know for example that it doesn't detect EE when I tried to record that.

Damn, thanks for the support either way, I appreciate it. Sadly America's Army Proving Grounds is the only game I can play or like to play to record. haha

Do you have any suggestions for alternatives to OBS I can try just for AA:PG?

Damn, thanks for the support either way, I appreciate it. Sadly America's Army Proving Grounds is the only game I can play or like to play to record. haha

Do you have any suggestions for alternatives to OBS I can try just for AA:PG?

Dxtory? I checked and the game is free, I can give it a whirl on my end seeing if I can get OBS to record it after it takes forever to download.

Dxtory? I checked and the game is free, I can give it a whirl on my end seeing if I can get OBS to record it after it takes forever to download.

That'd be awesome, thanks!

And I've got Dxtory installed I think, I'll check it out in the mean time!  :) 

That'd be awesome, thanks!

And I've got Dxtory installed I think, I'll check it out in the mean time!  :)

Well, managed to download it, it does run on OBS:

Well, managed to download it, it does run on OBS:

I appreciate you going through all that trouble. :)

Hmm, that's weird. Should I reinstall? I do have it installed on another drive (not the main Windows drive). Do you think that'd cause issues like this?

I appreciate you going through all that trouble. :)

Hmm, that's weird. Should I reinstall? I do have it installed on another drive (not the main Windows drive). Do you think that'd cause issues like this?

I've got it installed on a different drive but it works. Are you playing in fullscreen or windowed mode?

I've got it installed on a different drive but it works. Are you playing in fullscreen or windowed mode?

I'm playing fullscreen mode. :)

I'm playing fullscreen mode. :)

Hmm. Does this happen every time you try and record it?

VVV

vOlwo3l.png

Hmm. Does this happen every time you try and record it?

VVV

Only with AA:PG. I tried Skyrim and some other games, records fine.