Yesterday (26.4.), you could've watched Heroes of the Storm on ESPN

Bouzoo

Chess isnt. Its a game. NOT a sport. A sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others

That's my point, Chess isn't comparable, because Chess actually needs brain

Okay. Sounds good to me

The logic is incorrect hence why I'm following that path of thought to show how stupid it is, chess is a sport WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT and is recognised as one by the olympic committee:

"Chess is a recognized sport of the International Olympic Committee and international chess competition is sanctioned by the World Chess Federation (FIDE), which adopted the now-standard Staunton chess set in 1924 for use in all official games."

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

That's my point, Chess isn't comparable, because Chess actually needs brain

So do sports. The best athletes ever are the ones who had tremendous IQ for the sport they play. There is a reason someone like Steve Nash, a 6ft white guy is one of the best players to ever play basketball. Tremendous IQ. Same with Larry Bird. Larry is one of the top five best basketball players in history. Whenever he was on the court he was among the least athletic guys there. It was his tremendous basketball intelligence why he was so great. Same with players like Tom Brady. 

Put Lebron James in a fat unathletic short body at the college level and he'd be one of the best players in D1 college. 

So do sports. The best athletes ever are the ones who had tremendous IQ for the sport they play. There is a reason someone like Steve Nash, a 6ft white guy is one of the best players to ever play basketball. Tremendous IQ. Same with Larry Bird. Larry is one of the top five best basketball players in history. Whenever he was on the court he was among the least athletic guys there. It was his tremendous basketball intelligence why he was so great. Same with players like Tom Brady. 

True all of this

But i can't stand whenever i read the word e-sport. Like, come on. 

The logic is incorrect hence why I'm following that path of thought to show how stupid it is, chess is a sport WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT and is recognised as one by the olympic committee:

"Chess is a recognized sport of the International Olympic Committee and international chess competition is sanctioned by the World Chess Federation (FIDE), which adopted the now-standard Staunton chess set in 1924 for use in all official games."

Lets call everything sports then. You heard it here first folks, Magic the Gathering players should now be considered Athletes. 

Lets call everything sports then. You heard it here first folks, Magic the Gathering players should now be considered Athletes.

Fine by me

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Fuck you Natalie so tired of people judging us gamers.

I agree with your sentiment, however let me step outside of the situation

1) Gamers are interested in esports

2) Gamers already have it's own gamer friendly avenues like Twitch build precisely and specifically for gaming

3) A large majority of people that would regularly watch ESPN or even watch TV at all just don't care (Really, how many of you still pay for tv yourselves? If it's up to you it would be only Netflix, Twitch and Youtube, only older folk and people far outside of gaming culture even pay for cable specifically to get TV shows and channels)

It doesn't makes sense to me that you try to introduce gaming to a radically different target audience. To me is like people who like to dive on freezing water: There's many who enjoy it, practice that etc. But just because some people on some parts of the world enjoy that doesn't makes it a good fucking idea for me to walk to the nearest bus stop and just dump a bucket of icecold water on an unsuspecting crowd: Even if statistically I might find a cold water bather dude who would laugh it up, I'd get beat up 99.999% of the time.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Chess isnt. Its a game. NOT a sport. A sport is an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others

Fine, let's go watch some e-games....except they're already videogames henceforth "electronic" So we'll watch...some games....But this is a competitive tournament! So Let's watch Competitive Videogame Tournaments.....except it doesn't necessarily implies it's a professional level competition with prices. So got it, let's watch Competitive Professional Game Tournaments!....

So now Get ready for Starcraft in The new....tournament....oh shit, I mean Professional Tournament....Starcraft professional videogame tournament!

Fuck can we just go back to call em fucking e-sports, even if they aren't sports? Trying to name them something else makes a lot less sense than naming them to something that is already a lot more succinct and perfectly describes what we wanna say e-sports.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Please Linus! Add a "Game News" section! This stuff does not belong in "TECH News" but it doesn't belong in "Off Topic," "General Discussion," or "Gaming" either

I couldn't agree more 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

America's obesity problem doesn't stem from pro gaming, it's the fucking rednecks eating burgers 24/7 (sterotyping I know, but stereotypes come from the truth). You don't see people bitching on about chess or darts causing obesity, it's always the same fucking community full of people who just want fun out of life. 

As a gamer, I experience tons of hate both in real life and online about how much I play. My reply is always the same. You live your life how you want, I'll live mine. Who gave you the right to judge me? At least I'll die happy. 

I love how this thread is not toxic at all :)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

America's obesity problem doesn't stem from pro gaming, it's the fucking rednecks eating burgers 24/7 (sterotyping I know, but stereotypes come from the truth). You don't see people bitching on about chess or darts causing obesity, it's always the same fucking community full of people who just want fun out of life. 

As a gamer, I experience tons of hate both in real life and online about how much I play. My reply is always the same. You live your life how you want, I'll live mine. Who gave you the right to judge me? At least I'll die happy. 

I play a ton of video games. But I also play several sports and go to the gym everyday. If anyone gives me lip about the amount of gaming I do I point them to my physique and my girlfriend. Do what you want but don't forget about your health. Just running a bit everyday does wonders. 

I play a ton of video games. But I also play several sports and go to the gym everyday. If anyone gives me lip about the amount of gaming I do I point them to my physique and my girlfriend. Do what you want but don't forget about your health. Just running a bit everyday does wonders. 

I don't have time for health stuff to be honest. By the time I've got in, done homework, I have 30 minutes spare which I satisfy with gaming. 

It is the richest country and where most of video games are sold, and played. When he talks about america, he means the "west" 

Richest country. please stop

By that logic chess is not a sport either

Sounds right to me.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I don't have time for health stuff to be honest. By the time I've got in, done homework, I have 30 minutes spare which I satisfy with gaming. 

I'm double majoring in computer engineering and audiology with a minor in computational linguistics. Believe me, you manage your time well you've got a half hour to go on a run. And hell I have almost 800 hours sunk into NBA 2k15

This is no different than showing Poker or Darts on ESPN

But they're physically at the table. Playing poker. Why don't we set them up with Xbox controllers with that logic :v

Seriously though... This is stupid.

I think e-sports won't really work on TV. On ESPN I doubt have the viewers have even heard of that game, or how it works, combat, etc. I'm not sure if it should be Olympic or not, I simply don't know enough about it.

- snip-

hur dur hur, something competitive that I don't understand, must be irrelevant.

Basically all I heard^^^^

I like how female athletes judge an up and coming competitive landscape in eSports when 40 years ago woman's sports were in the same category.

That being said, airing anything eSports on ESPN is pretty stupid. eSports arent sports, but they're teamwork oriented competitive games.  They're the sport without the physical activity. 

What's funny is he thinks he COULD cover esports. The truth is, he can't. He isn't versed in the game at all, he doesn't even know what game it is. He COULDN'T do that job. Sorry Colin, you aren't cut out for it. It's too complicated for you, just stick with sweaty men trying to grab each other while fighting over a ball because he doesn't have the intelligence to be a caster.