[Meta] Can we stop the GTX 960 circlejerk?

AlexWJD

Games can use 3gb, but that is not the same as "needs" 3gb. Damn, I play GTA 5 with textures and shit maxed out and it runs just fine

People think "can" and "need" are interchangeable. 

CPU: G3258 @ 4GHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 OC RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 SSD: Corsair LS 120GB Case: Antec GX500 Mouse: Logitech G402 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Headphones: Shure SRH440 Microphone: That Zalman Zm-Mic1 that everyone recommends but noone uses

Remember when the R9 280 was the HD 7950? Pepperidge Farm remembers.  

Running two AMD Cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

Night Theme, OP I can't read your Post.

You're the second guy, how do I fix it? 

CPU: G3258 @ 4GHz GPU: Gigabyte GTX 960 OC RAM: 8GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 SSD: Corsair LS 120GB Case: Antec GX500 Mouse: Logitech G402 Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Headphones: Shure SRH440 Microphone: That Zalman Zm-Mic1 that everyone recommends but noone uses

Set color to automatic

I don't always have time to study, but when I do, I don't.

The difference is, i'm not saying any of them are "best" because I think that is utterly stupid. And I don't know what CPU you have, but mine makes no sound. It's the cooler that is audible, but it depends on the quality to which extent. So you can't make a generalistic remark on that subject because it depends on which CPU cooler you have.

And my Noctua NH-U9S is quiet enough in Idle for me to notice my A5+ speakers hissing (i have fox ears) so i'd notice an idle GPU fan spinning, so again...context matters and no card is "best".

Exactly my point. You won't hear the 280 at idle or low rpm any more than you will hear the CPU fan. My Asus makes no noise at idle or low rpm until it hits about 60% fan speed. Even then it's barely noticeable.

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

Set color to automatic

I did. Looks fine to me. 

Thanks for fixing it.

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Thanks for fixing it.

There we go.

Indeed, AMD is aping all of Nvidia's stuff but never puts in any effort. It's always half-baked and barely functional. That is not biased, just look at PCPer's discection of Freesync.

I don't really think you will gain much from that investment. You might aswell invest that money towards a faster card which will have more memory by default. ENB hammers GPU's just as much as it does VRAM.

I'd really like to push for a 970 but I'm not sure if I can or want to stretch for the extra $120 $150 that the 970 costs.

AMD keeps trying to update the Raptr app but it just gets worse and worse, it's barely functional now so I've just removed it from start up and the things in every corner of my screen were bugging me so much.

Exactly my point. You won't hear the 280 at idle or low rpm any more than you will hear the CPU fan. My Asus makes no noise at idle or low rpm until it hits about 60% fan speed. Even then it's barely noticeable.

You're misrepresenting my argument. I said I DO notice a GPU fan over my CPU fan because it's inaudible. That might be different in your case, but you can't generalise because it depends on which CPU cooler you have. It also depends how noisy your enviroment is, and how good your ears are. Some people have much more sensitive hearing and really like the 0dB fantech (me). It was only with maxwell that I disassembled my passive computer and put a GPU back in the PC. I hated my GTX670 DirectCU and that was arguably one of the most quiet GPU's made to date (until maxwell).

But other people might not care, live in a dorm which is noisy anyway or care about VRAM. Therefor, you can't say which is best and you should always ask what the OP values before recommending. What i'm seeing people do now is go "280 is best because 3GB" and disregard the 960 completely. That's just utterly biased and oversimplified and has no place on a techforum and probably what the creator of this post is trying to get across aswell.

To be honest, these threads do pretty much nothing. The 280 is arguably better than the 960 and vice versa, it's pretty much personal opinion at this point (I'd personally rather have a 280, assuming I had a decent CPU, for things like it being a better dual-gpu option & being viable in AAA titles at 1440p with two). Look at how long it took for people to stop recommending FX CPU's (for the most part) on here over and over, and there were many people presenting the facts on why Intel is objectively better for gaming at the same price point. 

RIP in pepperonis m8s

To be honest, these threads do pretty much nothing. The 280 is arguably better than the 960 and vice versa, it's pretty much personal opinion at this point (I'd personally rather have a 280, assuming I had a decent CPU, for things like it being a better dual-gpu option & being viable in AAA titles at 1440p with two). Look at how long it took for people to stop recommending FX CPU's (for the most part) on here over and over, and there were many people presenting the facts on why Intel is objectively better for gaming at the same price point. 

If I were doing 1440 though, I would want a high end card, not midrange. And I remember the FX CPU...*shiver*

XFX 280X $210 before rebates, which is the price of a 960. Tell me more about these rebates

The GTX 960 starts at $179 without rebates. Tell me more about how much cheaper the 280X is. The 4GB card also starts at $210 and while it's not more powerful than the 280X, it can still trade blows in specific titles.

I wonder, the other day I was test benching a GTX 560 Ti with 1.28GB of VRAM. It ran the majority of my games completely fine, it even ran Far Cry 3 on 1080 with the same settings my 780 could (30FPS was consistent and playable, but not as good...), but... that's impossible, 2GB 3GB is the 1080p standard!

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I have this really old R9 280. Its called the HD 7950.

What about the HD 7950 you ask? Well it came at 800Mhz yet most of not all of them could breach 1100Mhz on stock bios, outperforming the really old R9 280X called the HD 7970.

Yes you heard that right, a 2012 card that could match the shiny new 960 and still has more VRAM to boot.

Today, the clearly superior 280X price matches the 960, when you can performance match it with something much cheaper.

Circlejerking or just plain facts? Its sad to see people defending a selfish company thats out to rape your wallets and might shaft you afterwards.

Ouch. I love your post and all, but until you provide some proof/evidence, like 75% of people on this place never do, I will be forced to ignore your claim.

Indeed, I pretty much said the same thing in an earlier comment. This reminds me of the "games are becoming more multithreaded now so we need 8cores" argument. Same goes for 2GB vs. 3GB cards and people are now disregarding everything else for the sake of a bit of memory you may or may not need.

Remember, the GTX 960 caused bad vibes (around tech forums) at launch simply because of the price points of GPUS then.  A R9 280 was going for $150-$175 and the GTX 960 launched at around $225.

The only argument at the time for a GTX 960 was the power requirement, when users had really crappy PSUs.  That was rare.

Now the price gap is gone and the GTX 960 is a viable option. 

R9280, R9 285 or GTX 960, simply put:  buy what you want from these mid-range options and enjoy a very decent gaming experience.

The only argument at the time for a GTX 960 was the power requirement, when users had really crappy PSUs.  That was rare.

That wasn't the only argument, i've listed a few others in an earlier comment. If you're going to speak for everyone by making a general statement, alteast speak for everyone. You're now only speaking for yourself (projecting).

I still have a gtx 660 and I haven't seen any need to upgrade, and I do graphics design! even gta 5 plays on it fine. So 2GB for a card in 2015 is fine. so the 960 with a powerfuler core Is probably a great card for the "under £700 pc builds"

I think I sniff a brainwashed fanboy!

Because owning an Nvidia GPU makes you a fanboy. Gotacha. 

Remember, the GTX 960 caused bad vibes (around tech forums) at launch simply because of the price points of GPUS then.  A R9 280 was going for $150-$175 and the GTX 960 launched at around $225.

Now the price gap is gone and the GTX 960 is a viable option. 

R9280, R9 285 or GTX 960, simply put:  buy what you want from these mid-range options and enjoy a very decent gaming experience.

That wasn't the only argument, i've listed a few others in an earlier comment. If you're going to speak for everyone by making a general statement, alteast speak for everyone. You're now only speaking for yourself (projecting).

Sorry, the only good argument.  There was no good reason to spend $50 more on the GTX 960 other than power consumption for shitty PSUs. 

Any other argument was useless, like your post^^^. :)

Like I said, things are different now that the price gap is gone.

Because owning an Nvidia GPU makes you a fanboy. Gotacha.

No, there's a reason people don't recommend them but rather their AMD counterparts instead. I didn't even know you had a 960 cuz I didn't look at your sig, so you owning it has nothing to do with anything really...haha.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

No, there's a reason people don't recommend them but rather their AMD counterparts instead. I didn't even know you had a 960 cuz I didn't look at your sig, so you owning it has nothing to do with anything really...haha.

If you read my post, and look around my comment history, I praise the 285 alongside the 960, as both outperform the 280

If you read my post, and look around my comment history, I praise the 285 alongside the 960, as both outperform the 280

I didn't bother reading your post because of the somewhat hostile title.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

I didn't bother reading

You should try it sometimes, that way you won't look like an imbecile when you comment.

Sorry, the only good argument.  

Any other argument was useless, like your post^^^.

Now you're again projecting because you only judge the arguments based on your preference and do not consider someone might share a different opinion about said arguments. Meanwhile sounding like a total douchebag by attacking me personally and calling my posts useless. Way to go.