Beyerdynamics MMX300 Headset review - my first review

ShadowCaptain

Hey guys, this is the first review I have ever done. Your feedback is really important to me :) what was good? what was bad? Be critical and honest :)

Anyway, this is probably one of the better if not best headsets on the market - amazing audio, amazing microphone and amazing build quality ... did I say amazing enough? .....Amazing

Please enjoy :) let me know what you think

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have one too. I ordered a custom one last year. I can't recommend this headset enough.

The only thing I'd do is bump up your voice and overall audio just a bit. Absolutely great quality. Next HardwareCanucks right here :P

What song did you use for the background?

Edit: Didn't notice the G502 on your desk when I watched this originally :D

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Already watched it ;) 

I really liked your camera work! The only thing I would have to say is that I would have liked it if you talked a little bit more in depth about the sound, it was a little breif for my taste. 

On a side note; wow that microphone is good! When you mentioned it it really took me by surprise. 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

That was a really good review. I always get jealous when people make good video reviews, since I pretty much can't.

One thing I want to know: Did you use your USB mixer for all audio tests, or did you try different audio sources?

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Review was good. Nice and informative. Camera work was pretty great, and audio levels were maybe a bit low, but sounded good on my setup.

Though if you are going for that really nice, calming ambient noise with a pleasant outdoorsy atmosphere, you might want to soften up that intro a bit.

I have one too. I ordered a custom one last year. I can't recommend this headset enough.

ooh the custom ones look so nice :) I do regret not pushing the boat out and getting that model, still love mine though

The only thing I'd do is bump up your voice and overall audio just a bit. Absolutely great quality. Next HardwareCanucks right here :P

What song did you use for the background?

Edit: Didn't notice the G502 on your desk when I watched this originally :D

Will bear that in mind next time! but will be using a proper mic not my headset in the future :D - need to order my lavalier too!

Song was called Gymnopedie No. 2 also g502 master race - 

HardwareCanucks, ah well we shall see how good I can get in the future, I have plans, I hope they work out

Already watched it ;)

I really liked your camera work! The only thing I would have to say is that I would have liked it if you talked a little bit more in depth about the sound, it was a little breif for my taste. 

On a side note; wow that microphone is good! When you mentioned it it really took me by surprise. 

Thanks :) I hope to improve camera work in the future too, lots of plans for that!! Yeah the mic is brilliant!! with some tinkering it can sound even better too! this

I am not an audiophile so I find it hard to discuss things like frequency response and that stuff, I agree I should have spoken more abuot the audio, in the future I will, this was my first time scripting a video and I was very nervous talking

That was a really good review. I always get jealous when people make good video reviews, since I pretty much can't.

One thing I want to know: Did you use your USB mixer for all audio tests, or did you try different audio sources?

Thankyou :) that means a lot

I used the mixer, but mostly so I can head myself through the headset, and have greater control over gain and mic volume - it sounds basically the same plugged into the PC, and I have used it for music from my iphone just fine too :) 

Review was good. Nice and informative. Camera work was pretty great, and audio levels were maybe a bit low, but sounded good on my setup.

Though if you are going for that really nice, calming ambient noise with a pleasant outdoorsy atmosphere, you might want to soften up that intro a bit.

Thankyou :) audio levels are something I am new too so will work on this for the future (but other reviews will be using a better audio set up than just a headset so should sound better anyway)

This video was going for that specific atmosphere, but not every video on the channel is, I will find music to match the mood of whatever I am doing

I quite like the juxtaposition of the heavy music cutting into the calm - I found it interesting :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

-snip-

I look forward to all these plans! 

I know what you mean, it sometimes feels like the differences are so slight you may be imagining things :P But i'm sure you can hone your ears to recognising these sounds :) 

Well nervous or not, a great first video! As always, i look forward to more. :) 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

I look forward to all these plans! 

I know what you mean, it sometimes feels like the differences are so slight you may be imagining things :P But i'm sure you can hone your ears to recognising these sounds :)

Well nervous or not, a great first video! As always, i look forward to more. :)

Already planning a future set, got my studio lights sorted, using an atamos ninja blade for my next review so I can do some colour grading and tweak the visuals more!!

also getting a wireless lav mic, so I can do some on camera work, and also upgrading my "studio" mic to an electrovoice RE320 which sounds freaking insane

Hey..

I thought it was a good review :) Its a headset so no much you can actually say about it.

Good job for the first one anyway :)

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

@ShadowCaptain Here are some quick pics from shortly after I got mine http://goo.gl/w4zqGE

MMX%20300%20Custom%201.jpg

MMX%20300%20Custom%202.jpg

@ShadowCaptain Here are some quick pics from shortly after I got mine

Very pretty :) I think the custom ones are seriously good looking, I wanted to get like red and white, maybe in the future I could get custom pair as second headset

Very pretty :) I think the custom ones are seriously good looking, I wanted to get like red and white, maybe in the future I could get custom pair as second headset

Yea im not usually a white color guy but these came together so well with the white, black, and grey that I just fell in love with them.

getting a wireless lav mic

Don't cheap out. All of my problems with audio are down to underspending on lavs. When budget is a consideration, it's basically Sennheiser or GTFO (or go wired).

Don't cheap out. All of my problems with audio are down to underspending on lavs. When budget is a consideration, it's basically Sennheiser or GTFO (or go wired).

I don't do cheap :D though I have not decided what I want yet, if I go wired I might get a zoom h5 and grab a wired lav, could be a good option

on an unrelated note...

Was testing out some colour grading with my friends atomos ninja blade 2, very tempting :o but honestly my camera has so much aliasing and moire I almost regret getting it, although its stills are so good (Sony A7)

on an unrelated note...

Was testing out some colour grading with my friends atomos ninja blade 2, very tempting :o but honestly my camera has so much aliasing and moire I almost regret getting it, although its stills are so good (Sony A7)

Will have to figure out how to work around it (usually easy enough with moire at least) or spend tonnes on professional equipment you don't really need (my personal approach).

Your technical/artisitic skill is much, much better than mine though so you don't have to overcompensate with equipment.

Color work is something else - I'm much more at home in software and I love dicking around in Speedgrade.

Will have to figure out how to work around it (usually easy enough with moire at least) or spend tonnes on professional equipment you don't really need (my personal approach).

Your technical/artisitic skill is much, much better than mine though so you don't have to overcompensate with equipment.

Color work is something else - I'm much more at home in software and I love dicking around in Speedgrade.

Half of me was so close to buying a GH4, but the stills are shit hence my purchase of my A7, but perhaps I should look into a GH4 in the future, also looking into the new URSA mini, that thing looks beast :D

Ah thanks :) that means a lot, honestly this is the first video I have ever shot and edited in my life, never had video on any previous DSLR, so its all new to me!!

I need to look into more software, really want filmconvert but its £££ that I dont have right now

Yea the 4k means whatever the Panasonics limitations, it's 4K at that price point means there's little viable competition.

BlackMafic is your best bet, either with the the URSA mini or wiring up the micro studio camera to an external recorder. Unsure of pricing over there, but here the GH4 is not cheap.

That way you get some software as well. I'm about to board the plane to the city where I have an URSA trial!

Yea the 4k means whatever the Panasonics limitations, it's 4K at that price point means there's little viable competition.

BlackMafic is your best bet, either with the the URSA mini or wiring up the micro studio camera to an external recorder. Unsure of pricing over there, but here the GH4 is not cheap.

That way you get some software as well. I'm about to board the plane to the city where I have an URSA trial!

Yeah that new studio mini camera looks awesome, black magic do a pretty cheep external dispay/recorder for about £335 (tempted to get this instead of an atamos since its half the price and seems even better though it doenst have the awesome peaking/false colour and other cool stuff the atomos has)

GH4 is about £1130 body only, URSA mini starts at £2149 for the older 4k sensor and £3565 for the 4.6k model

The micro cinema camera is £709 and the 4k micro studio camera is £929

(in fact you can see it all here https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/uk/products)

Jealous as fuck :( I want to play with one, let me know how you get on

As much as I like Erik Satie I found the audio a bit distracting at times  and myself slightly less engaged as the images didn't correlate anymore to what you were saying. The overview basically. 

Those are minor points though. It's a very excellent review if I might say so. 

As much as I like Erik Satie I found the audio a bit distracting at times  and myself slightly less engaged as the images didn't correlate anymore to what you were saying. The overview basically. 

Those are minor points though. It's a very excellent review if I might say so. 

Can you explain what you mean by "images didn't correlate to what I was saying?" not sure I understand 

Thanks though, its the first video I have ever recorded and edited in my life

Subbed. 

HOLY SHIT THE END STATIC BLEW OUT MY EARS. D: 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Subbed. 

HOLY SHIT THE END STATIC BLEW OUT MY EARS. D: 

lmao oops :D it wasn't that loud was it?

lmao oops :D it wasn't that loud was it?

As someone who has everything on full volume, yes. ;) 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

As someone who has everything on full volume, yes. ;)

hahaha good :D I can't watch the video because I hate hearing myself haha