OC3D - GTA 5 AMD vs NVIDIA Performance Review, VRAM usage

link: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/gta_5_amd_vs_nvidia_performance_review/1

Memory Usage

The first thing you need to know about GTAV is that it's a VRAM hog. Those with 2GB cards need not bother unless you're running at very low resolutions. There is a feature in the game that indicates roughly how much VRAM you can expect the game to use at your chosen settings. It's almost entirely useless as a guide with the game using approximately 1GB more of your GDDR5 than it's claiming.   

14173823554l.jpg 14175200599l.jpg

GTX 970 is fine, they said; there's no VRAM issue, they said .. until you start playing GTA5 @1080p
if The Witcher 3 follows the same pattern, s**t would get real, very fast

Those results seem funny, since a 770 2GB card still get around 55FPS, 1080 Ultra 

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Those are some interesting performance numbers, this game really seems to like the 290X.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Yeah, I have been disappointed at the high VRAM usage. Wish I would had either saved up for a 970 or gotten that 750 TI from ASUS with 4 GB.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Still want to see some actual benchmarks, especially frame times, but yeah this looks ominous for the GTX 970.

Those are some interesting performance numbers, this game really seems to like the 290X.

Though it likes the 980 more :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I'm actually quite suprised that the difference isn't that big. But oh well, sadly he hasn't included the minimum-maximum fps.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Am I the only person who has low vram usage? I get around 2600-2700Mb usage with 2xmsaa

And I don't know what the deal is with their "claimed vram" but it definitely claims more than 2358MB 1080p max setting no aa but maybe the don't count advanced graphics?

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

link: http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/gpu_displays/gta_5_amd_vs_nvidia_performance_review/1

GTX 970 is fine, they said; there's no VRAM issue, they said .. until you start playing GTA5 @1080p
if The Witcher 3 follows the same pattern, s**t would get real, very fast

Plenty of people have been using 3.8G of vram on 970's without issue,  why do you think it will be a problem all of a sudden?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Still want to see some actual benchmarks, especially frame times, but yeah this looks ominous for the GTX 970.

still beats the R9 290X, even in 4K benchmarks ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

damm those 2 cards are pretty close, especialy at 1440p and up.

Not a bad showing for the 290X.

Not to mention that the Asus 290X matrix is not realy the best 290X on the market.

it runs hot like hell.

I think that with an Msi 290X lightning, or Sapphire Vapor X it can be pretty much a tie.

Very impressed with the 290X. :)

Though it likes the 980 more :P

Yes, but a 290X is €349 and a 980 is €639 (holy shit why is the 980 so expensive here, I live in the Netherlands btw)

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

Yes, but a 290X is €349 and a 980 is €639 (holy shit why is the 980 so expensive here, I live in the Netherlands btw)

a GTX 970 is also about €349 and beats the 290X in pretty much any GTA V benchmark I have seen.

the 980 is just expensive for what it is.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Plenty of people have been using 3.8G of vram on 970's without issue,  why do you think it will be a problem all of a sudden?

riight ... wasn't how this problem was discovered in the 1st place, by people with moded Skyrim using more than 3.5Gb of VRAM!?  ;)

This video looks rigged but yeah just wanted to put it out there

WHY ARE AMD CARDS PERFORMING SO BADLY D:

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

damm those 2 cards are pretty close, especialy at 1440p and up.

Not a bad showing for the 290X.

Not to mention that the Asus 290X matrix is not realy the best 290X on the market.

it runs hot like hell.

I think that with an Msi 290X lightning, or Sapphire Vapor X it can be pretty much a tie.

Very impressed with the 290X. :)

What about the tri-x D:

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

riight ... wasn't how this problem was discovered in the 1st place, by people with moded Skyrim using more than 3.5Gb of VRAM!?  ;)

Maybe you didn't read that monstrous thread we had where people where posting videos of their 970's hitting 3.9G of vram usage and not stuttering or showing signs of issues.  Not all 970's fall in a heap when they get to 3.5G.  There is a lot more to it than that.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So badly ??? what are you talking about ?? http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1905-gta-v-pc-fps-benchmark-graphics-cards

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Yeah sorry not believing it. 

Was playing last night with everything High @1080 and guess what.. Not a issue at all. the 970 is handling it like a champ. 

#DealWithIT

Redstone:
i7-4770 / Z97 / GTX 980 / Corsair 16GB  / H90 / 400C / Antec EDGE / Neutron GTX240 / Intel 240Gb / WD 2TB / BenQ XL24

Obsidian:

MSI GE60 2PE i7-4700HQ / 860M / 12GB / WE 1TB / m.Sata 256gb/Elagto USB HD Capture Card

Razer Deathadder Chroma / Razer Blackwidow TE Chroma / Kingston Cloud2's / Sennheiser 429 / Logitech Z333

Doesn't seem to be too bad to me. The 970 has always traded blows with the 290X, and the difference in those Digital Storm benchmarks looks pretty reasonable. AMD has yet to release their new batch of cards, so they don't have answers to the 980 and Titan X yet. 

GTA5 is an Nvidia title, right? That typically means that on launch, they're usually a bit more prepared with their drivers, and it takes time for the other guy to catch up. It happens with 'AMD Evolved' games too. 

4GB at 1080p for a game that doesn't look that great. I smell console port code.

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

Doesn't seem to be too bad to me. The 970 has always traded blows with the 290X, and the difference in those Digital Storm benchmarks looks pretty reasonable. AMD has yet to release their new batch of cards, so they don't have answers to the 980 and Titan X yet. 

GTA5 is an Nvidia title, right? That typically means that on launch, they're usually a bit more prepared with their drivers, and it takes time for the other guy to catch up. It happens with 'AMD Evolved' games too. 

I believe it has both Nvidia and AMD features in graphics settings.

"Graphics and gameplay are not mutually exclusive."

"Nvidia, AMD, Intel, or whatever company out there has only one end goal and that is PROFIT.

If you think these companies exist for any other reason you're gonna be disappointed my dear. CAVEAT EMPTOR"