Is 27" to big for 1080p?

Mindaugasinas

Is 27" to big for 1080p?

I use GTX970 and I think it wont run good on 1440p.

So is it worth it to grab 27" or 24" for 1080p?

yea imo it's too big

Are you new? Please read CoC  Before posting! PLEASE SELECT 'AUTOMATIC' FOR FONT COLOR FOR US DARK THEME USERS (Only for dark shades)If you can read this, it means you need to change to NIGHT THEME (bottom left above LMG logo) Please follow your threads and Quote people when replying to them. Mark your problem as solved if answered. Don't spam, nobody likes a spammer. DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES! BE NICE!

anything above 23 inches is past the 1080p sweet spot for me. For a TV, different story. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

24" Get a 1440 for 27

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Yep unless your sitting heaps far away or you like play from a couch but sitting at your desk it's too big.

Yeah the ppi at 27 inches is too low. 

My Pc: Cpu: I7 4790k @ 4,8 Ghz @1,25 volts, Motherboard: Maximus VII Formula, Graphicscard: 2x Titan X @1,4 at stock voltage (soon to be replaced), Ram: 32 gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 Cl 9, SSD: 2x 850 Pro 1 Tb in Raid 0, 2x Samsung 840 Evo 1 tb raid 1,, PSU: Corsair HXi Series 1000W 80+ Platinum, Case: H440. Soon to be watercooled again, maybe, probably, the Titans are too loud. 

But I'm so used to play on 40" tv and I afraid that 24" might look to small for me. As a desktop monitor now I use 19" and for therd person games I use TV. In the stores is so hard to judge the monitor size because off all these lights and stuff...

i own a 24'' 1080p for gaming and everyday i wish i'd spent the few extra $$ for a 27''...IMHO 24'' is too small when i play racing sim the screen feel too small behind my wheel...next upgrade for me is 1440p 27'' though which i think is the real sweet spot.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Who else have 24" monitor? I would like to know your experience and thoughts on it. I use my monitor only for fps games and coding.

Yeah I agree, 27 inch 1080p is now kinda dead, seeing how easy it is to get good 1440p ones at that size.

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

No.

Its only MORE comfortable to use for desktop.

And in games you DSR/VSR it up to 2160p, which will look what real 1440p would look like.

No.

Its only MORE comfortable to use for desktop.

And in games you DSR/VSR it up to 2160p, which will look what real 1440p would look like.

What do you mean?

What do you mean?

Higher resolution means all icons and EVERYTHING is smaller. For example if you had 2160p on a 23" monitor text would be so small you would not be able to read it.

Higher resolution means all icons and EVERYTHING is smaller. For example if you had 2160p on a 23" monitor text would be so small you would not be able to read it.

That is obvious. But the topic's point is different.

I was talking about either to get 27" 1080p monitor or 24" 1080p monitor, since GTX970 isn't strong enough for 1440p.

I have a 28" 1080p monitor and I love it, absolutely no problem with it. I guess people have different levels of tolerance, so your best bet would be to find a store with those displays and see for yourself.

I have a 28" 1080p monitor and I love it, absolutely no problem with it. I guess people have different levels of tolerance, so your best bet would be to find a store with those displays and see for yourself.

In the stores is so hard to judge the monitor size because off all these lights and stuff...

I have a sensitive eyes and even on my 19" 1366x768 monitor from a normal siting distance I see the gaps between pixels, and I hate it

I'm just saying... If you read this Forum back through and replace the word Monitor with Penis, you're gonna have a good time.

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs. And the Universe trying to produce bigger idiots.. The Universe is winning"

(Gaming PC) CPU:- i5 4690k 3.5GHZ . MOTHERBOARD:- MSI G45 Z97 Gaming . CPU Cooler:- H100i . GPU:- ASUS Geforce GTX-780ti Direct CU II OC -x2 SLI . RAM:- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 4x4GB . CASE:- Corsair 750D Obsidian Series . PSU:- EVGA SuperNova 850W Gold . FANS:- x3 Corsair AF120 RED LED, x2 Corsair AF120 (Red rings) .STORAGE:- Kingston V300 120GB (Boot Drive), x2 1TB WD Blues, x2 500GB Samsungs .

Spoiler

KEYBOARD:- Logitech G19. | GAMEPAD:- Logitech G13. | HEADPHONES:- Logitech G35. | MOUSE:- CM Storm Sentinel Advanced II. | JOYSTICK:- Saitek ST200. | RACING WHEEL:- Logitech Driving Force GT. | OTHER:- TrackIR 5 + Vector Clip | CounterStrike XXL Mousemat

I would ALWAYS choose a 27" 1080p panel over a 24".  Here's why.

The main gaming 24" panels all use the same AU Optronics panel: the M240HW01 V8.  The Asus VG248QE, the older non blur reduction  Benq XL2411T, XL2420TE, XL2420TX, and the newer benq blur reduction models XL2411Z, XL2420Z, and maybe the XL2430T (not to be confused with the older T series) use this panel.

This panel has an issue where the gamma point drops as the refresh rate increases, washing out the image greatly.  On these panels, Gamma 2.2 at 60 hz refresh rate drops down to a washed out 1.9 at 144 hz refresh rate.  The VG248QE does not have OSD gamma adjustments, but the Benq monitors (starting with the newer revision of the pre blur reduction T series, and the blur reduction type Z series) have an OSD gamma adjustment to compensate for this, somewhat.  Not sure if this also compensates for the color point changing.or not or if that still needs ICC profiles, but the gamma degrading and the color tone dropping off at higher refresh rates is an issue with choosing a 24" 1080p panel.

The Benq XL2720Z uses the M270HTN01.0 panel.. This panel DOES NOT DEGRADE IN GAMMA whatsoever when you increase the refresh rate.  2.2 gamma at 60 hz remains 2.2 gamma at 144 hz, although the gamma curve across the brightness levels does not remain flat; an icc profile can correct for this, although this remains basically the same point regardless of refresh rate.  Gamma 4 in the OSD puts the gamma closest to the 2.2 point than gamma 3.  Color also does not seem to degrade either.  This panel keeping the exact same gamma regardless of refresh rate is something all reviews completely overlooked when discussing 27" or 24" panels.  The gamma and color balance remaining spot on is a huge benefit of buying a 27" 1080p 2720Z.

Can't speak for other 27" 1080p panels, however.

Version 4 firmware on the 2720Z (and the other Z models) tons down the aggressive overdrive and adds a hidden blur reduction AMA setting which makes things look much better than the V2 firmware does, especially when you lower the contrast (this is required if using the new AMA setting, as inverse ghosting is removed, at the cost of normal ghosting being increased).

So I would choose the 27" 1080p over the 24", any day.

And I have two VG248QE's so I know how it drops gamma and loses fidelity massively.