Experiences with non-techies

2 minutes ago, henkka_scorpio said:

Well I have a rather interesting story to share with you guys. So my sister used her old desktop for watching movies from it (it was connected to her tv with a HDMI). The computer isnt very fast and she often complained about it. So I said I could buy her a few parts and install them so the computer would be faster. Keep in mind she was  22 at the time. She said that she didn't trust my pc building abilities although I have built my own pc. Well next week she tells me very proudly that she bought a macbook pro.......  When it arrived she noticed that it didn't have a HDMI port and she was very pissed off.At that point I walked out of her apartment. She is still confident that her macbook is better than my PC with a gtx 970, i5-4690k and an SSD....  You can't win an argument with a woman.... :D;)  :P

gg

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

5 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You're forgetting that's like $700 CAD as well as the people who sell C2D iMacs for $1000 :P

wrong, it's not $700 for the 1070, it's apparently $799 (+tx) on pre-order at CanadaComputers ... IF that is the true Canadian MSRP, then fcuk Nvidia!

source;

https://m.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4jl0a5/gtx_1070_and_gtx_1080_canadian_pricing_insane/

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

There's someone at my school who has a YouTube channel. I referenced to him in an earlier post, with him making absolutely no sense. Was in my first couple posts in the thread. Anyways. This is in his channel's description. By the way, he battles people in Minecraft.

My equipment:
Laptop: Acer
Mouse: I use trackpad
Headset: Razer Kracken
Other "Mouse": Razer Abyss/Default Mac

I honestly don't get it. An acer laptop could mean this, or it could mean this.

Playing an first person game that requires quick reaction time for playing against others, with a TRACKPAD?

Hahaha the Razer Kracken isn't even a headset. Neither is the Razer Abyss. And what does "default mac" even mean?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiWiy5uhe3XgZg3pizJiBJg/about

EDIT: Turns out the Abyss is a thing

Specs:

1 minute ago, BingoFishy said:

I honestly don't get it. An acer laptop could mean this, or it could mean this.

I think that if he had a predator he wouldn't just call it an acer laptop.

3 minutes ago, BingoFishy said:

Hahaha the Razer Kracken isn't even a headset. Neither is the Razer Abyss. And what does "default mac" even mean

Well I've got a Razer Kraken Chroma but never heard of a Kracken :D  And I think that Abyss is an old Razer mouse, and by old i mean Diamondback level of old. About the default mac I have no idea :P maybe he has ripped the trackpad out of his macbook and uses it?

Winning an argument with a woman step by step

step one - talk to her

step two - fight with her for 2 hours even if you are really right

step three - admit that she is right for the sake of your safety

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

The Kraken is a headset ... but there are a few Kraken models, so yeah it's kinda vague. And the Abyss is an older Razer mouse.

EDIT:

6 different Kraken headsets ...

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/kraken

Damn, @henkka_scorpio beat me to it! lol

8 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

;) 2FAST4U :D

step one - talk to her

step four - realize that you have accomplished nothing and she still thinks you were wrong and now she thinks you are even more stupid

GTX1080ti, I5-4690k, ASUS Z97 PRO-GAMER, 8GB DDR3 1600mhz, Hyper 212 EVO, Tt view 31 RGB.

Whenever I feel like there are smart people on this earth and all isn't lost  I come to this thread and watch a few pages and realize just how wrong I was :D.  This gets my day going, keep it up!

step one - talk to her

24 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

The Kraken is a headset ... but there are a few Kraken models, so yeah it's kinda vague. And the Abyss is an older Razer mouse.

EDIT:

6 different Kraken headsets ...

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/kraken

No such thing as a kracken though.

Specs:

1 hour ago, BingoFishy said:

No such thing as a kracken though.

Honestly, a typo is nothing compared to his lack of tech knowledge! ;)

When people "help" others even though they have no clue what they are talking about and will even admit they don't know anything about what's going on but feel the need to interject their opinions anyway >.<*

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

When the person above you knows less ... came to work this morning and somehow I have the desktop shortcuts folder on my desktop.

FYI, depending on your user group you're going to have a different set of shortcuts. I don't know how he did it but one of the network admin added the WHOLE shortcut folder in the desktop shortcuts for all users without realizing it.

He had no clue of what I was talking about when I called him and I somehow had to walk him through the steps to fix it.

14 hours ago, KinglyMuch said:

I save lots of things to the desktop if I think I'll need them in the future, me being me I never actually look at any of the documents/pictures again so once a month I need to sweep all the embarrassing memes and useless study guides into a folder somewhere. I should really get out of this habit :D

I just have my file sorting down to a system and never need to put things like documents or pictures on my desktop.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

4 hours ago, henkka_scorpio said:

Well I have a rather interesting story to share with you guys. So my sister used her old desktop for watching movies from it (it was connected to her tv with a HDMI). The computer isnt very fast and she often complained about it. So I said I could buy her a few parts and install them so the computer would be faster. Keep in mind she was  22 at the time. She said that she didn't trust my pc building abilities although I have built my own pc. Well next week she tells me very proudly that she bought a macbook pro.......  When it arrived she noticed that it didn't have a HDMI port and she was very pissed off.At that point I walked out of her apartment. She is still confident that her macbook is better than my PC with a gtx 970, i5-4690k and an SSD....  You can't win an argument with a woman.... :D;)  :P

"Well, I can connect my computer to the TV, and you can't. So there is that."

13 minutes ago, dcb-z said:

I just have my file sorting down to a system and never need to put things like documents or pictures on my desktop.

I have nothing on my desktop. Not even the recycle bin. It is glorious.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

48 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

I have nothing on my desktop. Not even the recycle bin. It is glorious.

I want that. But I can't give up having all my games just a click (two, technically) away.

Specs:

Ok, here's one that just happened.

So my mom is sorta into science. She's know a little about PC parts and brands and stuff (mostly cause of me) but I still know more than her. So she just called me over like "Wait, so Nvidia made the GPU in Tesla cars?" I'm like wat, so I go over and see she's reading some article about the Nvidia Tesla M10. I facepalmed. The news probably appeared in her google news app (she reads it).

On a side note, I started reading this a month or two ago and have facepalmed a lot. I'm currently on page 415 so not quite half but almost there. I have a few stories I may share when finished reading but they aren't as interesting as some in this thread.

That's all for now folks! :D

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Ok, here's one that just happened.

So my mom is sorta into science. She's know a little about PC parts and brands and stuff (mostly cause of me) but I still know more than her. So she just called me over like "Wait, so Nvidia made the GPU in Tesla cars?" I'm like wat, so I go over and see she's reading some article about the Nvidia Tesla M10. I facepalmed. The news probably appeared in her google news app (she reads it).

On a side note, I started reading this a month or two ago and have facepalmed a lot. I'm currently on page 415 so not quite half but almost there. I have a few stories I may share when finished reading but they aren't as interesting as some in this thread.

That's all for now folks! :D

I can see how there might be mixups there - nvidia makes a line of cards under the "tesla" name (like geforce, etc.), but I think Tesla also uses nvidia GPUs (tegra though) to power their in-car computer systems :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I can see how there might be mixups there - nvidia makes a line of cards under the "tesla" name (like geforce, etc.), but I think Tesla also uses nvidia GPUs (tegra though) to power their in-car computer systems :D 

Yeah, I can see the mix-up too. I do recall they use tegra, though you see my point :).

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm confused as to what you mean by mentioning Tesla using NVIDIA GPUs, and then stating in parenthesis "Tegra though." Could you explain what you mean? 

Yes, Tesla uses NVIDIA GPUs, but so does Tegra. They're two different product lines. One being a compute card, and the other being a brand of SoCs. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now had someone post to a group I belong to asking what he should upgrade for his pc. So he posts a screen shot from the graphics driver menu showing only that he has a 980 an i7 and 16gb of ram. And all anyone says is get the new 1080 it will make it look sweet. 

Tell him to give more specs especially power supply (I'm pretty sure it's pre built over priced garbage) and they tell me that isn't important the only thing that matters is the gpu. I hate dealing with people who seem to act like the have all the answers here with no actual knowledge about what they are talking about. 

The guy only has a cheap flat screen 1080p tv as his monitor as well....

40 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I'm confused as to what you mean by mentioning Tesla using NVIDIA GPUs, and then stating in parenthesis "Tegra though." Could you explain what you mean? 

Yes, Tesla uses NVIDIA GPUs, but so does Tegra. They're two different product lines. One being a compute card, and the other being a brand of SoCs. 

I mean, there is the tesla line of GPUs from nvidia (and also geforce and quadro and tegra, etc.), but also the car company Tesla uses (iirc) nvidia GPUs in their cars (but they use the tegra GPUs, not Tesla ironically :P)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I mean, there is the tesla line of GPUs from nvidia (and also geforce and quadro and tegra, etc.), but also the car company Tesla uses (iirc) nvidia GPUs in their cars (but they use the tegra GPUs, not Tesla ironically :P)

I just suffered from the mix-ups. 

Tesla is a product line from NVIDIA, and it's also a car company. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I just suffered from the mix-ups. 

Tesla is a product line from NVIDIA, and it's also a car company. 

yup :)

Network Pro

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

can't people read on this God damn f***ing forum??????????

7VSxt.png

16 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

can't people read on this God damn f***ing forum??????????

7VSxt.png

This should be a popup that has a minimum 5 second delay before you can close it...(but with a dont show this again option). People get excited and just type and post without thinking.