Experiences with non-techies

21 minutes ago, Fgtfv567 said:

If you build a PC without a DVD drive, but the manufacturer gives you the drivers on a CD.. Well, I don't know what to tell except to get an external DVD drive. Good luck getting one of those at 10PM in the middle of the night

Then you can continue with your build the next day, after you got a external DVD drive.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

3 hours ago, ptcgplayer said:

When I plugged my PC into my TV so that my friends could play some games at my house, and my sister enters the room and screams at me because apparently I could break my television because it is meant for watching TV... I tried to explain how monitors and TVs are kind of interchangeable if it has HDMI but she only got more angry! It was a struggle man.

My sister is exactly the same way. Everything I do is wrong or if something happens it's my fault.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

20 minutes ago, ShiftHitTheFan said:

My sister is exactly the same way. Everything I do is wrong or if something happens it's my fault.

Oh so I guess it's your fault for her phone getting cracked as hell and her laptop is slow as balls..

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

22 minutes ago, ShiftHitTheFan said:

Try crippling fans on her laptop so it thermal throttles or crashes.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

5 hours ago, RustyZombie said:

Given the level of stupid and oblivious she'd have to believe that, and the fact she was yelling at you over what you were doing with your own stuff, makes me think she was just inventing a reason to dump her anger on you.

Now that I look at it, you might be right. Thankfully this was about a month ago and I don't think we've fought since, So that anger must be gone. And I can plug in my PC without getting yelled at xD 

2 hours ago, ShiftHitTheFan said:

Lol sisters can be that way man, I feel you.

1 hour ago, Fgtfv567 said:

Oh so I guess it's your fault for her phone getting cracked as hell and her laptop is slow as balls..

Yep. If the internet goes out its my fault, crap like that.

1 hour ago, matrix07012 said:

It's already full of dust. She won't let me clean it.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

1 hour ago, matrix07012 said:

Then it would be the poster's fault.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

36 minutes ago, ShiftHitTheFan said:

Yep. If the internet goes out its my fault, crap like that.

It's already full of dust. She won't let me clean it.

Did you ever ask her why she won't use the beast desktop? Does she even have a need for all that power?

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

On 2/26/2016 at 0:31 AM, thekeemo said:

They stole it from xerox which did not commercialize it

same thing with the mouse

please dont start this again.... I DONT WANTA REPEAT OF THE GREAT HARD DRIVE DEBATE OF PAGE 40 i think it was page 40

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

1 minute ago, DirtyDane said:

please dont start this again.... I DONT WANTA REPEAT OF THE GREAT HARD DRIVE DEBATE OF PAGE 40 i think it was page 40

what was the great HDD debate about?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

what was the great HDD debate about?

I've heard mentions of it, in hushed tones.  I think someone made the assertion that HDD's get heavier with the more they have on them, and it turned into an argument that went on for way too long.

Just now, RustyZombie said:

I've heard mentions of it, in hushed tones.  I think someone made the assertion that HDD's get heavier with the more they have on them, and it turned into an argument that went on for way too long.

SSDs do

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

1 minute ago, thekeemo said:

SSDs do

Technically they all do, but it's soo small it's pointlessly febal to go measure. Basically none of us here are smart enough to actually calculate it, so the debate happened. End debate, Google it.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

Just now, ShiftHitTheFan said:

Technically they all do, but it's soo small it's pointlessly febal to go measure. Basically none of us here are smart enough to actually calculate it, so the debate happened. End debate, Google it.

I know still something

17 hours ago, Fgtfv567 said:

If you build a PC without a DVD drive, but the manufacturer gives you the drivers on a CD.. Well, I don't know what to tell except to get an external DVD drive. Good luck getting one of those at 10PM in the middle of the night

18 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

What board is that, can you provide link.

Just want to see if that person don't know what he's doing or motherboard actually don't have with a disc. Out of all the boards I've installed, they all come with a disc. Only one I've got without a disc, was a server board from SuperMicro. Some even comes with a usb flash drive with the necessary drivers.

Windows has a built-in NIC driver that's enough to get you connected to the internet. Then you can download the drivers from the manufacturer's website. Doesn't support fancy stuff like teaming or QoS, but to be honest it's got the functionality that any home user would need.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

14 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

Windows has a built-in NIC driver that's enough to get you connected to the internet. Then you can download the drivers from the manufacturer's website. Doesn't support fancy stuff like teaming or QoS, but to be honest it's got the functionality that any home user would need.

It doesn't work with every single NIC in existence, and the driver in Windows 7 isn't as good. You need to get a driver from the manufacturer for almost every NIC on Windows 7 and older.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

21 minutes ago, Fetzie said:

The nic will only work, if it was included in the os database. Not on the list, then you'll  need to install the drivers. 

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I remembered another thing ... Back at uni all my friends kept telling me I was studying the wrong course and I should be doing IT cos of my interest in computers.

I'd always have to say something like - IT is for dumber fucks than me, too simple, and Im too much of a dumbfuck for computer science / electrical engineering. 

Linus is my fetish.

16 hours ago, Bhav said:

Stored data has weight?

oh GOD NO its starting again *gets on knees and whips out a steam tab* our gaben, who art in valve, Gaben be thy name, thy summer sale come, thy wallet gone, on Pc's with 980tis, and give us to this day our daily sale, and forgive us our origin purchases, as we forgive those who bought consoles, and lead us not into sony, but deliver us from xbox, Amen

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

This is one I remember from a while back.  While not specifically computer tech, I think it'll still make some of you facepalm and some of you chuckle.

A family I know had their 20+ year old CRT TV finally die, and replaced it with a LCD/LED set, pretty much the only kind you can get anymore.  Within a week their five year old son broke the screen by running his hotwheels across it, something he apparently always did on the CRT set.  When the mother happened to be complaining about the "cheap" TV to me, I asked how it happened, and then told her LCD screens are typically more fragile and that she shouldn't let her son use it as a play pen.  Her response was "THEN HOW IS IT BETTER?"  I lost my temper a bit and said her husband's steel toed boots must be better shoes than her $1200 something or another because her son couldn't destroy the boots with his playing.

If you've only had CRT sets and are tech ignorant, and see people touching the screens on their smart phones all the time, I could understand thinking LCD screens were generally tougher.  But I don't understand why some people judge a product based on its performance in something well outside its intended purpose.

6 hours ago, Bhav said:

I remembered another thing ... Back at uni all my friends kept telling me I was studying the wrong course and I should be doing IT cos of my interest in computers.

I'd always have to say something like - IT is for dumber fucks than me, too simple, and Im too much of a dumbfuck for computer science / electrical engineering. 

I'm kind of the same way. I could go for electrical engineering, but do I really want a desk job? I want to be out there, not planning and drafting behind a desk. Its would be too stressful as a full time job.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

8 hours ago, Fetzie said:

How the hell do you access it? Every time I reinstall Windows I have to grab the driver off of another computer, and wireless or ethernet will not work until I've done so

33 minutes ago, ShiftHitTheFan said:

I'm kind of the same way. I could go for electrical engineering, but do I really want a desk job? I want to be out there, not planning and drafting behind a desk. Its would be too stressful as a full time job.

I didn't get anywhere close to good enough grades to do comp sci, and I couldn't even understand how to write a 12 a side text based football programming for A level computing, hence I found out coding wasn't for me.

Now I'm just waiting to go back to stacking shelves. Yay.

Linus is my fetish.