Experiences with non-techies

1 minute ago, Principis said:

Dislike that shit!

Apparently it's already heavily disliked:

On 01/03/2016 at 6:28 PM, DirtyDane said:

Also i love how it has 20,000 dislikes yet only 5,000 likes

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Apparently it's already heavily disliked:

and i doubt they where talking about the cpu fan since they never take it off

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

Use the following style specs for your profile!
Screeninator:  Asus GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB
Powermathingy: EVGA 500W
Stickaminator: Crucial 16GB 「4x4GB」DDR3-1600
Procrastinator: Intel i5-4460 3.2ghz
Holdametalicizor:  Corsair 200R 
Noisoundacreator:  Razer kracken pro
Attatchamajiggy :  Asrock H97 Anniversairy ATX LGA1150
Remembrerthing:  i've got a-lot of drives
Flat-Colorful-Thing:  LG not actually sure the model of it
See-A-Move-O: Razer Mamba 2012
ButtonBoard:  Razer Deathstalker 

"Experiences with non-techies" ??? 

well, what about this guy? (surprising amount of people REALLY think VRAM is what make a video card fast!)

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Besides the fact that no one else in my house can do anything on their own beside Facebook, the first years at university as me if they have to type out "[enter]" from the instructions.

4 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

well, what about this guy? (surprising amount of people REALLY think VRAM is what make a video card fast!)

A gt740 and a 8350 and 16GB of ram. That will run TF2 just fine. Or it will until the off-brand PSU kills it. 

Also, under $500 my arse. O8jhOXn.png

1 hour ago, wkdpaul said:

I looked at this, and although he is saying it's fast because it has a 4gb card in the system, it can run what he specified, but only at minimum settings. 

Cities Skylines only needs a GT 260 or HD5670

However, he is saying it is great for under $500 but the graphics card, psu, case, and dvd drive do not have a price linked to them, soooo

I dread to think of the games that he is running "amazing", maybe .... terraria? shower with your dad simulator?

Spoiler

Future build:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGgNJx

Current build: (laptop)

Specs:
Screeninator: Intel Graphics 5500
Stickaminator: Hyandai 12GB DDR3 RAM (1x8GB, 1x4GB)
Procrastinator: Intel i5-5500U @ 2.2 GHz
Noisoundacreator: TURTLE BEACH PX4
Remembrerthing: WD 1TB Blue HDD
Flat-Colorful-Thing: Samsung SyncMaster 2323Y
See-A-Move-O: Tecknet M288

7 hours ago, wkdpaul said:

The the details he's emphasizing make me think he has no clue, especially since no one should be talking up that build, just in general; the GPU is very weak, the system is overall very unbalanced (16 GB of ram with that GPU and CPU and no SSD?), etc. etc.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

For the past few months my little brother has complained to me that the downstairs desktop would keep freezing. I never really gave it any thought as it's pretty old now. (Intel q8200, 8gb RAM ddr2, very slow 500gb HDD, and an ATI 4350)

I installed Windows 7 on it last year, and that helped, but it's always been quite slow. 

Well, I decided to actually look into it yesterday, and found out the problem. Zero thermal paste.

I don't mean any, like nothing. It was basically dust.  And it's been like that since at least 2008. No wonder it kept crashing.

Put in some arctic silver, updated all the drivers, and it's like it's brand new ( HDD is still shite though). 

Idles around 30c and Max 50c under a stress test.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

1 minute ago, deWaardt said:

d3e9a0ca0a30e530aa7493c168aeb066.png

No seriously....

Go read it yourselves:

https://nl.ifixit.com/Wiki/Dell_Latitude_D630_Troubleshooting#Section_Laptop_is_overheating

I don't even know what to think about this.

Now, y'see, playing devil's advocate here, if you have a badly fragmented hard drive and files are all over the place, the read head is gonna have a hell of a time looking around for stuff, meaning it takes up more resources and can cause the system's temperature to heat up because it takes so much to find something.

It's not actually as dumb as it may sound.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Just now, daniellearmouth said:

Now, y'see, playing devil's advocate here, if you have a badly fragmented hard drive and files are all over the place, the read head is gonna have a hell of a time looking around for stuff, meaning it takes up more resources and can cause the system's temperature to heat up because it takes so much to find something.

True, but if a laptop is constantly overheating to like a 100 degrees.... that can't be caused by a failing hard drive alone. When a hard drive is failing the system needs to put more work into finding what it's trying to find, but the system still has to wait for the hard drive, so it won't overheat like you're running prime95 on it for 2 weeks straight.

2 hours ago, deWaardt said:

No seriously....

Go read it yourselves:

https://nl.ifixit.com/Wiki/Dell_Latitude_D630_Troubleshooting#Section_Laptop_is_overheating

Yeah I think they've got that backwards... if the system is overheating, it could have cooked the HDD, but there is no way in hell a HDD is even capable of producing enough heat to overheat the whole machine - it's just physically impossible.  I suppose it could kill itself, but that's about it.  Seriously, if you have a laptop, get the CPU + GPU nice and warm and check the drive temperature - there really isn't much "bleed" and so you'll see it's not all that much warmer than usual. At least, that's how mine was - maybe some laptops are really stupidly designed and use the HDD as a heatsink for the GPU or some crap :P

I'm not much of a techy myself but

I heard someone say

"1.65 GB DUDE IT TOOK ALMOST ALL OF MY COMPUTERS DATA AND IT TOOK 1 DAY TO DOWNLOAD."

i5 4460 - GTX 970 - 1TB WD Blue - 256 GB Samsung Evo SSD - NZXT H440 - 16GB DDR3 RAM

46 minutes ago, Lily said:

I'm not much of a techy myself but

Build your own computer (which is nicely balanced)? Then you're better than a lot of people who aren't willing to take off the side panel

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

12 hours ago, deWaardt said:

d3e9a0ca0a30e530aa7493c168aeb066.png

No seriously....

Go read it yourselves:

My brother has a Dell laptop that was constantly crashing due to overheating. He took my dremel, cut air vents in the casing and since then it hasn't crashed once.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

On 16/1/2013 at 6:47 PM, rainbrodash666 said:

so this one time I was hanging out with my friend who is the manager at a tech shop by where I live and a girl comes in and buys a 2tb hard drive. we let her know that we install hard drives for $1 (the cost of the sata cable we use) and she says "just because I am a woman does not mean I cant work on computers" and leaves in a huff. two days later she comes back in saying that the HDD is not working so we take the computer in to look at it, we open it and the HDD is nowhere to be seen, so we ask her where it is. and it turns out that she scanned it and put the scanned image on her desktop to install the drive. and to top that off she threw away the drive she paid almost $200 for and she wanted us to give her a new one.

EDIT: feel free to quote this comment, I like seeing peoples reactions even though the comment is 2+ years old.

I almos cryed for that poor HDD, a lot of ppl think that a PC work just with magic!

The peasantry is strong with this one.

12790873_1708606556047617_9020049347067152572_n.jpg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

5 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

my god the stupidity is unmatched!

On 2/27/2016 at 8:40 PM, MasonTheEpic said:

Almost everyday when I walk into school wearing my Pebble Time a kid stops me and starts to tap the screen on my watch. They always say "Why isn't your Apple Watch working?" and I always laugh a little (but cry on the inside) and say "Its not a Apple Watch, its a Pebble Time. It has buttons." They say "Oh... That's stupid, whats the point?"

Oh my god SO TRUE! Everybody I know knows that I dislike iCrap products, and everytime: Hey -----, nice Apple Watch.

It's gotten to the point where I just frown and walk past.

Heck, I have a RED Pebble Time and some idiots still actually think it's an Apple Watch.

ALL HAIL LORD GabeN!

May RNGsus be with you!

ALL HAIL RANDALL MUNROE!

On 2/28/2016 at 2:34 PM, DirtyDane said:

oh GOD NO its starting again *gets on knees and whips out a steam tab* our gaben, who art in valve, Gaben be thy name, thy summer sale come, thy wallet gone, on Pc's with 980tis, and give us to this day our daily sale, and forgive us our origin purchases, as we forgive those who bought consoles, and lead us not into sony, but deliver us from xbox, Amen

GabeN the savior! 

Our father, who AWPs in Heaven,

CS be thy game 
Uncase begun, them skins be won, 
Covert - and not a mil-spec 
give us this day a StatTrak Knife 
and forgive us when we rage quit, 
as we forgive those who aimbot against us, 
and lead us not into scamnation 
but undeliverus a battlescarred 
GabeN.

ALL HAIL LORD GabeN!

May RNGsus be with you!

ALL HAIL RANDALL MUNROE!

58 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

That's not peasantry.

That's just being frickin' dumb. Or a troll.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

21 hours ago, daniellearmouth said:

i was about to say that myself

“I am Holo the Wise Wolf. I know that there are things in this world that I do not know and that makes me wise!”

Spoiler

2 hours ago, HackNerd said:

Oh my god SO TRUE! Everybody I know knows that I dislike iCrap products, and everytime: Hey -----, nice Apple Watch.

It's gotten to the point where I just frown and walk past.

Heck, I have a RED Pebble Time and some idiots still actually think it's an Apple Watch.

i have a similar problem EVERY DAY!!! i have a razer nabu x that i love i really love the thing it does exactly what i need and nothing else. but god everyone that sees it says "Hey! whered you get your fitbit" or "nice fitbit" its not a damn fitbit sure it looks ALOT like one of the models but it isnt one in fact its nicer than one if you ask me. and for those of you who dont know what it is

nabux-adventure-center.pngon a side note i got mine early via that insider program they have. mine was 19.99 and was among the first thousand made (well made and sold) number 770 

Spoiler

9 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

And that's why my gaming rig is still a C2Q, the amount of storage is what it's all about!!!

At least my dumb friend knows the difference between storage and RAM. lol

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !