Experiences with non-techies

Just now, thekeemo said:

They stole it from xerox which did not commercialize it

same thing with the mouse

and (we've been over this already :)) xerox was not first either.  It started in the 60s

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

and (we've been over this already :)) xerox was not first either.  It started in the 60s

Really?

Was it actually used or was it a concept?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

Really?

Was it actually used or was it a concept?

You can learn more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLS_(computer_system)

I don't think it was widespread but it was a real usable thing

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

You can learn more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLS_(computer_system)

I don't think it was widespread but it was a real usable thing

This is the 60s computers were (ahem) "big"

but thanks for letting me know about this

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Just now, thekeemo said:

This is the 60s computers were (ahem) "big"

but thanks for letting me know about this

yeah they were :P

But it was a user interface, and it was graphical, and perhaps the most familiar element was the concept of a mouse so really it's all there... just, really old school :) 

I've got two that happened recently:

My grandmother tried to tell me that her constant wifi usage (she figured out Facebook works on her phone recently) doesn't affect the home network because "it's wifi, not internet".
I had a friend ask me why computers at stores show two different amounts of memory on them. A few drinks later and I was explaining that RAM is like a scratchpad that the computer uses automatically and that a harddrive/SSD is like a filing cabinet.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

I prefer that the ram is a train, and the HDD the carriages. 

Linus is my fetish.

Just now, Bhav said:

I prefer that the ram is a train, and the HDD the carriages. 

Can you explain that? It doesn't make sense to me.

Im not sure myself, thats what I remember being told as a child.

50 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

Can you explain that? It doesn't make sense to me.

Linus is my fetish.

On 31/01/2016 at 3:26 PM, BURNINGJUNK said:

I just started taking Intro To Information Technology this semester (Freshman year highschool) and the teacher is an idiot. He says that the CPU is the tower part of the computer. He says that Steve Jobs invented the GUI. And when you try to correct him you are wrong. There was this one time he told us there are 1000MB in a GB. I said well its not exactly 1000 right. And he replied well its more like 900. SCREW YOU!!!!!!!!!! That is all. End Rant.

Steve Jobs didn't personally create anything really, he was a visionary, Woz I believe actually build and designed the first Mac.

CPU is the tower part, if its inside :P but no its a component, not the actual case.

I have had teachers like this in the past, let them ramble on, but research on your own terms, you dont need to cut your teacher down just makes you look like an arse if so, but quietly build your knowledge :)

What does an Transformer get? Life insurance or car insurance? - Russell Howard - Standup (Made me giggle a bit)

This isn't so much an experience, but a funny observation.

You know those little "share" boxes on most websites that have a button for all the major social media platforms, like facebook, twitter, etc.?  Well, have you ever noticed that there are often more (sometimes much more) Google+ "1+"s than there are Facebook "likes" on "techie" articles, like How-To Geek, or scientific news articles, despite facebook outweighing Google+ in pretty much every other way (by a substantial amount)?  Because I have noticed this from time to time and I find it extremely interesting xD

Google plus is the plague, the only such website that takes your online activity from other Google services and posts it all for everyone to see.

I got mad when all my foul mouth YouTube rants were suddenly all over a profile of me that I never wanted in the first place.

Linus is my fetish.

Almost everyday when I walk into school wearing my Pebble Time a kid stops me and starts to tap the screen on my watch. They always say "Why isn't your Apple Watch working?" and I always laugh a little (but cry on the inside) and say "Its not a Apple Watch, its a Pebble Time. It has buttons." They say "Oh... That's stupid, whats the point?"

17 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

I've got two that happened recently:

My grandmother tried to tell me that her constant wifi usage (she figured out Facebook works on her phone recently) doesn't affect the home network because "it's wifi, not internet".
I had a friend ask me why computers at stores show two different amounts of memory on them. A few drinks later and I was explaining that RAM is like a scratchpad that the computer uses automatically and that a harddrive/SSD is like a filing cabinet.

That analogy is quite nice actually.

The one with the RAM as the train do, hummm, wtf did you smoke?

There was a kid at school bragging about his new Macbook, and he said it had an i7. I asked which CPU, and he said again that it was an i7. I told him that was pretty vague and asked if he could give me the exact CPU. He then turned it on, went through a couple menus, leaned close to the screen, and read off "Intel Iris 5200 Pro Radeon R9M X370 2GB GDDR5", in that order, without pause. I told him that was all graphics, and asked again if he could find the CPU model number. He said i7.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

On 1/31/2016 at 10:26 AM, BURNINGJUNK said:

I just started taking Intro To Information Technology this semester (Freshman year highschool) and the teacher is an idiot. He says that the CPU is the tower part of the computer. He says that Steve Jobs invented the GUI. And when you try to correct him you are wrong. There was this one time he told us there are 1000MB in a GB. I said well its not exactly 1000 right. And he replied well its more like 900. SCREW YOU!!!!!!!!!! That is all. End Rant.

I thought my computer science teacher was the only one that called the entire damned thing the CPU.

The kid next to me told her that the computer wasn't working (The screen wouldn't show output). She looked at it, turned it on and off a couple times, then unplugged the tower entirely and swapped it with one that was working. She then proclaimed "I fixed it! And all I had to do was replace the CPU!"

Swapping out the tower is a legitimate fix for that situation, not as efficient as simply moving the kid, but hey. Saying that you replaced the CPU? That's like totaling your car save for the wheels, buying an entirely new car, putting your old wheels on that new car, and saying that you fixed it by replacing the engine.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Just now, Flowey said:

That analogy is quite nice actually.

Thanks! I like to come up with ways to easily explain how things work to people who are interested but don't want to get to technical.

Most comments on this post: http://9gag.com/gag/aW67Bbq

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

1 hour ago, matrix07012 said:

The worst part is people are arguing in the comments of that post xD 

1 hour ago, matrix07012 said:

My mom is the librarian at a small town library, and I often end up acting as her unofficial tech support.  One day she was having trouble with the keyboard not working.  Over the phone, I was trying to get her to try a few things to narrow down what the problem could be, but was getting confused when she kept talking about plugging the keyboard into the cpu.  I turns out she took a class to teach her about computer stuff, and one of the things they taught her was that the jacks in the back of the tower are called the cpu.  She heard me facepalm through the phone.

1 minute ago, RustyZombie said:

My mom is the librarian at a small town library, and I often end up acting as her unofficial tech support.  One day she was having trouble with the keyboard not working.  Over the phone, I was trying to get her to try a few things to narrow down what the problem could be, but was getting confused when she kept talking about plugging the keyboard into the cpu.  I turns out she took a class to teach her about computer stuff, and one of the things they taught her was that the jacks in the back of the tower are called the cpu.  She heard me facepalm through the phone.

oh god, so now not only are people being misled into thinking the whole computer is the CPU, but they're misidentifying other specific parts like the rear panel IO as CPU as well.  soon the HDD will be the CPU xD 

When I plugged my PC into my TV so that my friends could play some games at my house, and my sister enters the room and screams at me because apparently I could break my television because it is meant for watching TV... I tried to explain how monitors and TVs are kind of interchangeable if it has HDMI but she only got more angry! It was a struggle man.

6 minutes ago, ptcgplayer said:

When I plugged my PC into my TV so that my friends could play some games at my house, and my sister enters the room and screams at me because apparently I could break my television because it is meant for watching TV... I tried to explain how monitors and TVs are kind of interchangeable if it has HDMI but she only got more angry! It was a struggle man.

Given the level of stupid and oblivious she'd have to believe that, and the fact she was yelling at you over what you were doing with your own stuff, makes me think she was just inventing a reason to dump her anger on you.

On 2/24/2016 at 1:53 PM, spark12072001 said:

just saw this on newegg

Knipsel.PNG

Please read the cons. What motherboard doesn't need a LAN driver????

What board is that, can you provide link.

Just want to see if that person don't know what he's doing or motherboard actually don't have with a disc. Out of all the boards I've installed, they all come with a disc. Only one I've got without a disc, was a server board from SuperMicro. Some even comes with a usb flash drive with the necessary drivers.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

40 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

What board is that, can you provide link.

Just want to see if that person don't know what he's doing or motherboard actually don't have with a disc. Out of all the boards I've installed, they all come with a disc. Only one I've got without a disc, was a server board from SuperMicro. Some even comes with a usb flash drive with the necessary drivers.

If you build a PC without a DVD drive, but the manufacturer gives you the drivers on a CD.. Well, I don't know what to tell except to get an external DVD drive. Good luck getting one of those at 10PM in the middle of the night

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!