Experiences with non-techies

On 2/23/2016 at 10:01 AM, wkdpaul said:

Lost my faith in humanity years ago, I also think Idiocracy (2006) is a prophecy.

Was not expecting the screenwriter to agree ...

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

The dreadful windows error

"The user service service has failed the logon"

Everyone I know that owns a windows PC has gotten this and yet none of them knew how to fix it.

When I was in the college library earlier this week, a guy came up to us (by us, I mean me and a group of a few others) wondering what we were doing.

We were developing a game. This dude comes up and asks what we're doing, we explain, and he keeps going "Can I play it?", even though we explain to him that we can't let him because it's under NDA. He kept asking, though.

Eventually he also asked "did you work on, like, GTAV?", at which point we just ignored him.

Another dude came up to us and asked us if we could fix a Python script.

He said it was broken, even though he bought the script anyway.

Word to the wise - don't go to Wakefield College's library.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

7 hours ago, matrix07012 said:

My brother was watching some TV show about phones and apps and there was an ad for a prebuilt NAS. They called it: "Your own personal cloud". That made really cringe.

Yeah, the WD MyCloud. I've seen it too. You can access your files from anywhere, so calling it a "personal cloud" makes a lot of sense

8 hours ago, matjojo said:

That just really hurts my brain. Like they even have this new show 'ncis cyber' and they still do that shit. They'll  have this dude that stole and Iphone and then they call it and using the calling phone copy all data to a random pc and get the location by 'hacking' into the phone

It's called CSI: Cyber. I've watched a few episodes, not bad, haven't noticed anything that doesn't make sense.

I think that is possible, I think it's called tracing a call and cops use it

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

5 hours ago, ShiftHitTheFan said:

So my sister just won't use her new desktop. And continues to complain about the Dell 1545 laptop I gave her being too slow.. (Desktop specs in profile) 

She complains that none of her files / programs are on the new desktop. But won't let me help her move anything, because she "is not an idiot".

Fucking teenagers.

I may have been stubborn too, but I knew when to ask for help.

I gave her my old phone too, and she won't use it either. She also complains about how her shitty iPod 4g can't do anything. Like fuck me. 

I'm trying to fucking help you, and all you do is get offended and run away. Or say I'm annoying her.

A 4790k, 16gb RAM, a 390, and a SSD/HDD combo and still uses a shitty laptop?! What the fuck?! The only singular time that it's excusable to use the shitty laptop, is when she's away from home. That's it. Every other time she has to use that powerhouse. If I was your brother I would help you build it and hug you for it. 

Unrelatedly, try sticking an SSD into her laptop, or make it so slow she has to get rid of it. Have you asked her why she won't use the desktop?! Is engrained in her mind that all desktops are for old people and are inherently slow?!

Edited by Fgtfv567

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

2 minutes ago, Fgtfv567 said:

A 4790k, 16gb RAM, a 390, and a SSD/HDD combo and still uses a shitty laptop?! What the fuck?! The only singular time that it's excusable to use the shitty laptop, is when she's away from home. That's it. Every other time she has to use that powerhouse. If I was your brother I would help you build it and hug you for it. 

Unrelatedly, try sticking an SSD into her laptop, or make it so slow she has to get rid of it

What's a good way to slow it down? I have been wanting to do that for a while. It's password protected though.

She is completely emotionaly ustable. Gets upset about everything. Hides in her room all day. I have come home from college for over a week, and have talked to her once.

98% avg in grade 11, yet can't figure out how to screw in a lightbulb.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

4 hours ago, ShiftHitTheFan said:

What's a good way to slow it down? I have been wanting to do that for a while. It's password protected though.

She is completely emotionaly ustable. Gets upset about everything. Hides in her room all day. I have come home from college for over a week, and have talked to her once.

Be nice and do things slowly also don't do it yourself don't even touch the laptop.

I had to do that with my sister she always gets really angry when I try to help her because I'm to fast and because I do it myself.

5 hours ago, ShiftHitTheFan said:

Hmm if she's emotionally unstable, then maybe not. I would have done some social engineering, send her an email to a rootkit or to download malware. Why won't she use the desktop though?

Mum runs a day care centre at my house and she does work with photos for her job, and basically, she doesn't know how to drag files from folders, on the desktop, etc. Apparently, she forgets, though I don't blame her. Literally makes me so frustrated at all the simple things I have to explain every time she turns her laptop on and pleads with me to help her. 

Also a friend of mine is one of the biggest idiots with anything tech-related ever, imo. He bought a new pair of beats headphones to listen to music with on his iPhone 5. He complained that it didn't work and it needed to be replaced. Turns out he plugged the cable into the beats the wrong way around. 

My mum's friend claims that she's a "tech expert" and that she's good with computers, and yet, every time I ask her anything about computers, she's clueless. She seriously needs to stop before I have a brain hemorrhage. 

Edited by natalieisabutt
Didn't finish a word, lmao

Intel Core i7-7700K | Noctua NH-D15 | ASRock Z170 Pro4 | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-3000 | Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB NVMe M.2 | Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC RTX 2060 Super 8GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 | Corsair Obsidian 750D | TP-Link Archer T4E | DeepCool FH-04

Yet to acquire... Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 5400RPM | 2x Silicon Power A55 2TB | 2x Simplecom SC501 | ICY BOX IB-863-A

6 minutes ago, natalieisabutt said:

My mum's friend claims that she's a "tech expert" and that she's good with computers, and yet, every time I ask her anything about computers, she's clueless. She seriously needs to stop before I have a brain hemorrhage. 

What kind of questions have you asked her?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What kind of questions have you asked her?

Started off with easy questions, like to identify parts inside the computer (stuff like the mobo, hdd, etc) because I was curious to see if she actually knew anything. She just brushed me off and left the room.

Pretty sure I've asked more but I honestly don't remember, it's been a while.

Intel Core i7-7700K | Noctua NH-D15 | ASRock Z170 Pro4 | G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-3000 | Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB NVMe M.2 | Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC RTX 2060 Super 8GB | EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 | Corsair Obsidian 750D | TP-Link Archer T4E | DeepCool FH-04

Yet to acquire... Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 5400RPM | 2x Silicon Power A55 2TB | 2x Simplecom SC501 | ICY BOX IB-863-A

Just now, natalieisabutt said:

Started off with easy questions, like to identify parts inside the computer (stuff like the mobo, hdd, etc) because I was curious to see if she actually knew anything. She just brushed me off and left the room.

Such a pro at computers.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

As a part of a big tech-related conference (called EAST Conference) my school is going to in under a month, I had to help the school's conference team register for breakout sessions. Unfortunately, every other participating school in the state of Arkansas was trying to register at the same time because the session registration went live at 8:30AM today (the classes are first come, first serve). As a result, I had to sit in the engineering lab with everyone until noon because the facilitator kept insisting that we had to keep hitting refresh until it let us in.

I didn't mind getting out of class and eating first lunch, of course, but I still found it silly that he insisted we keep refreshing the page until it stopped giving us error pages.

While I was in there, though, I had to help the teachers with other things. One kept asking how to import an image into Autodesk Inventor and automatically extrude everything. My facilitator wanted to know why he couldn't open .x3g files in Adobe Acrobat or Makerbot, so I had to tell him that they were meant to just be printed. Then the lady asking about Inventor came in complaining that the internet in our EAST classroom wasn't working. Turns out the server had gotten switched off, probably from a power outage caused by the nasty storms we got hit with not too long ago. I probably would've known that the server was down sooner, but the lady was out with stomach flu and bronchitis for the first part of the week and the deans don't usually let us into the classroom while she's out.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

1 hour ago, dcb-z said:

As a result, I had to sit in the engineering lab with everyone until noon because the facilitator kept insisting that we had to keep hitting refresh until it let us in.

That's what every other school was doing too; maybe that's why it wasn't working :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

That's what every other school was doing too; maybe that's why it wasn't working :P

I was tempted to tell him that, but he's pretty stubborn. Thankfully we were able to get registered for all the breakout sessions that the team wanted regardless.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Fucks sake Scan ....

4x4 Gb 3400 Mhz ram £161.

The motherboard I ordered was rated for 3400 Mhz max so I ordered that.

Wait a minute .....

4x4 Gb 3466 Mhz, same timings, £141 ....

I WILL BE MAKING A PROMPT ANGRY PHONECALL AS SOON AS THEY OPEN IN THE MORNING.

Linus is my fetish.

On 1/16/2013 at 0:28 PM, Salmiakbal said:

This a million times

Dad: My laptop is slow Paul

Me: Shall I have a look at it then?

Dad: No no it's fine

My dad with all his tech problems.

Dad: Just because you work IT at the school doesn't mean you know everything...

Me: *silently screams in head "I NEVER SAID I DID!"

xD

9 hours ago, ShiftHitTheFan said:

Pop a RAM stick out, take out her hard drive and pop it into your PC and put a bunch of useless stuff on there ? then put it back in her laptop 

Ok so I work in the IT department part time at my high school after school and for an hour everyday during school. Half the teachers at the school act like they grew up in a cardboard box when it comes to computers. Just in the past week I've had three teachers have problems with their audio not working. I took 5 seconds and saw that they had the audio cable plugged into the microphone jack... ? I plugged it in and then turned up the volume on the laptop and BOOM! Audio has arrived on the system! I have a hard time understanding how people can lack basic problem solving skills but hey, that's why I was hired ?....

4 minutes ago, Corl8ter said:

Ok so I work in the IT department part time at my high school after school and for an hour everyday during school. Half the teachers at the school act like they grew up in a cardboard box when it comes to computers. Just in the past week I've had three teachers have problems with their audio not working. I took 5 seconds and saw that they had the audio cable plugged into the microphone jack... ? I plugged it in and then turned up the volume on the laptop and BOOM! Audio has arrived on the system! I have a hard time understanding how people can lack basic problem solving skills but hey, that's why I was hired ?....

I thought that's why all the cords were color-coded... for that exact reason.  If it's just too much for people to match the green with the green and the pink with the pink, etc. I don't know what hope there is for humanity :P

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Just now, Ryan_Vickers said:

I thought that's why all the cords were color-coded... for that exact reason.  If it's just too much for people to match the green with the green and the pink with the pink, etc. I don't know what hope there is for humanity :P

Especially when the ports have headphones and microphones on them! 

Just now, Corl8ter said:

Especially when the ports have headphones and microphones on them! 

In a related and ironic story, however, a few months back when I was working, a coworker called me in because the sound wasn't working.  We all had screens with usb ports and headphone jacks on them and the monitor plugged into the computer with usb to pass all that stuff along.  She had recently been moved into a new office so I figured odds are something was just not hooked up right.  sure enough.  It was like 6 months ago so I don't remember exactly what had been done, but it involved an audio cable (that was totally unnecessary iirc) and being plugged into the completely wrong ports.  I fixed it up and sure enough it all worked.  I know the IT guy that set it up... he should have known better :D  I guess when you're doing like 20 systems in a day mistakes get made xD

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

In a related and ironic story, however, a few months back when I was working, a coworker called me in because the sound wasn't working.  We all had screens with usb ports and headphone jacks on them and the monitor plugged into the computer with usb to pass all that stuff along.  She had recently been moved into a new office so I figured odds are something was just not hooked up right.  sure enough.  It was like 6 months ago so I don't remember exactly what had been done, but it involved an audio cable (that was totally unnecessary iirc) and being plugged into the completely wrong ports.  I fixed it up and sure enough it all worked.  I know the IT guy that set it up... he should have known better :D  I guess when you're doing like 20 systems in a day mistakes get made xD

I feel ya on that. We recently had three teachers moved to the local elementary and over winter break a few coworkers and I went in and cable managed everything along with setting up the new teachers systems. It was a complete and utter disaster. I remember spending at least an hour on one classroom because of the rats nest that the teacher had in there.I can already tell ya that they are all back to how they were before we fixed them....

On 2/2/2016 at 6:56 PM, Psybadek said:

While I won't go on everything, Apple was the first to create an OS with a GUI interface. So in a way, he is correct about that.

They stole it from xerox which did not commercialize it

same thing with the mouse

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.