Experiences with non-techies

9 hours ago, themctipers said:

unstable at stock speeds

That's weird as I know a few (well more like 10) people that still run them, most still at stock speeds. If you take a 3770k @ 4.3 and put it against a 6700k and 7700k both at 4.3 it is only about 14% behind in worse case scenarios (cpu intense games), and I attribute about 5-7% of that to RAM. This is the first time I've heard someone that uses one daily complain about it (yes I've read and watched reviews of crap tim and such, but I see that about every processor; the 7700k being the latest, and maybe getting the most abuse, deserved or not I do not know). I'm really surprised to read you have problems with it at stock speeds. If it's unstable, why are you still using it since it's been out for almost 6 years now? I'd have RMA'd almost immediately.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

This one time my friend was thinking of building a PC, so naturally i asked him what parts do you have? He sends me his list of parts including a GTX 1060, i7 6700k and a Corsair H60 to cool the cpu. I compliment him saying its pretty good and send him my parts list which included a thermal compound in it. He replies saying "you're buying thermal compund?". Me not knowing how stupid he was at the time said back "Yea, its pretty good and i'm thinking of over clocking so the temps can stay good". then my friend (lets call him Jimmy) says "You know you don't need it do you? It's just a waste of money and a gimmick." Shocked with his response I say "No it's not, its a known fact that thermal compound is a need or else your CPU will overheat." Now here is where it gets saucy, "YOU DONT NEED IT YOU STUPID C**T, MY COUSIN IS A PC GENIUS AND HE SAID THAT YOU DON'T NEED IT." Still not sure what to say I send him a link form tom's hardware where explains what thermal compound does and why it is important, keep in mind this is from CPU experts. Then my "friend" replies with "You believe anything of the internet don't you." Already having a red mark on my forehead form me face palming so hard, I send him another 3 different articles outlining why thermal compound is needed. Still he is determined that his cousin is the best at pcs and everything to do with them and would not believe them. So alas I gave up trying to persuade him :(. But recently his Motherboard shorted out, so meaning "his genius cousin who is the best at pcs and everything about pcs" must not have attached a standoff properly or something. 

1 hour ago, SquingeQuab said:

This one time my friend was thinking of building a PC, so naturally i asked him what parts do you have? He sends me his list of parts including a GTX 1060, i7 6700k and a Corsair H60 to cool the cpu. I compliment him saying its pretty good and send him my parts list which included a thermal compound in it. He replies saying "you're buying thermal compund?". Me not knowing how stupid he was at the time said back "Yea, its pretty good and i'm thinking of over clocking so the temps can stay good". then my friend (lets call him Jimmy) says "You know you don't need it do you? It's just a waste of money and a gimmick." Shocked with his response I say "No it's not, its a known fact that thermal compound is a need or else your CPU will overheat." Now here is where it gets saucy, "YOU DONT NEED IT YOU STUPID C**T, MY COUSIN IS A PC GENIUS AND HE SAID THAT YOU DON'T NEED IT." Still not sure what to say I send him a link form tom's hardware where explains what thermal compound does and why it is important, keep in mind this is from CPU experts. Then my "friend" replies with "You believe anything of the internet don't you." Already having a red mark on my forehead form me face palming so hard, I send him another 3 different articles outlining why thermal compound is needed. Still he is determined that his cousin is the best at pcs and everything to do with them and would not believe them. So alas I gave up trying to persuade him :(. But recently his Motherboard shorted out, so meaning "his genius cousin who is the best at pcs and everything about pcs" must not have attached a standoff properly or something. 

People like this are the people who can keep their consoles.

*POSTED TWICE*

basically people with computers (original poster didn't want to block out the names, i did not make this, took it from 9gag)

We all have that kind of friend

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

@NunoLava1998

Wow, sick discussion. The ending wasn't even the funny part for me.

I find it hilarious that so many people upvote the comment which said: "mixed breed are healthier than pure ones". I don't have a pet but this seems like a very stupid argument. I think the opposite is true. 

24 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

@NunoLava1998

Wow, sick discussion. The ending wasn't even the funny part for me.

I find it hilarious that so many people upvote the comment which said: "mixed breed are healthier than pure ones". I don't have a pet but this seems like a very stupid argument. I think the opposite is true. 

its not... pure breeds are less healthy

1 hour ago, SquingeQuab said:

To be fair, coolers typically include their own thermal compound (May not be the best on the market, but gets the job done). 

Please quote our replys so we get a notification and can reply easily. Never cheap out on a PSU, or I will come to watch the fireworks. 

PSU Tier List

My specs

Spoiler

PC:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K @4.8GHz
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 
Motherboard:  ASUS Maximus VIII Hero 
GPU: Zotac AMP Extreme 1070 @ 2114Mhz
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB
Case: Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W G2

Peripherals 

Keyboard: Corsair K70 LUX Browns
Mouse: Logitech G502 
Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Revolver 

Monitor: U2713M @ 75Hz

6 hours ago, crzyces said:

That's weird as I know a few (well more like 10) people that still run them, most still at stock speeds. If you take a 3770k @ 4.3 and put it against a 6700k and 7700k both at 4.3 it is only about 14% behind in worse case scenarios (cpu intense games), and I attribute about 5-7% of that to RAM. This is the first time I've heard someone that uses one daily complain about it (yes I've read and watched reviews of crap tim and such, but I see that about every processor; the 7700k being the latest, and maybe getting the most abuse, deserved or not I do not know). I'm really surprised to read you have problems with it at stock speeds. If it's unstable, why are you still using it since it's been out for almost 6 years now? I'd have RMA'd almost immediately.

Broke 13 year old. 

Buy buy me a new CPU. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

1 hour ago, Teddy07 said:

You are right:

http://www.instituteofcaninebiology.org/blog/health-of-purebred-vs-mixed-breed-dogs-the-data

Very interesting and surprising that I was wrong!

If I remember correctly it's because of diversity. If you're getting all your DNA from two parents who have really similar genomes you're more likely to have genetic disorders that they have but if their genome is more different then your more likely to be immune to their diseases. Something like that.

Not an expert by any means :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

17 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If I remember correctly it's because of diversity. If you're getting all your DNA from two parents who have really similar genomes you're more likely to have genetic disorders that they have but if their genome is more different then your more likely to be immune to their diseases. Something like that.

Now I remember. That´s why sex between children from one mother is illegal at least here in Germany

1 minute ago, Teddy07 said:

Now I remember. That´s why sex between children from one mother is illegal at least here in Germany

Adn that is why incest is condoned

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

3 hours ago, SquingeQuab said:

i dont generaly advice buying thermal compound but thats because most good coolers come with decent stuff pre aplied, noctua sends an entire freaking tube of NT-H1 which is like top teir paste! Accelero has MX-4 on all their coolers aswell. i dont know what Corsair have though but i would never get a H60 for anything but putting it on a GPU lol, there are cheaper and better aircoolers around last time i checked.

24 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

thats basically it. bigger gene pool so the reccesive genetic desises dont go active, thats why incest is bad too.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

And also why close family members having children together is a bad idea. My mom once told me about how where she grew up there were these two cousins who were married, and one of the two children they had had some sort of a disorder (can't remember exactly what)

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 hours ago, themctipers said:

Broke 13 year old. 

Buy buy me a new CPU. 

Sorry, I have my own 7 year old son, mortgage, and the rest of the grown up bills to pay. I do have a suggestion. Set your CPU back to stock speeds. Clean your heatsinks (cpu, gpu, motherboard, and fans). Clean off your old thermal paste and put new thermal paste on. Do a new Windows install, or a thorough repair from disk/usb drive, whatever. Re-seat your cpu, RAM, and gpu (you'll have to take them out, well besides RAM) to clean them anyway). Artic silver is about 3 bucks at Walmart. I'm sure mom would grab some for you if you don't have $3 lying around. If it runs stable after cleaning at stock, then start the OC'ing again.

I recently cleaned my cpu heatsink and fan, and low and behold, after two years since it's last thorough scrub, my thermal paste was gone. I mean there were a few traces, but for all intents and purposes, it was gone. I mmediately grabbed some triple paste diaper rash ointment and a dab of Vaseline, mixed it, and applied it as a temp fix (When I put normal arctic silver on the next week it was still fine, and lowered my temps over 20 C. Not the best fix, but it worked in a pinch, and having 1/10th dried out thermal paste left is in a pinch (Main ingredient being zinc oxide, less abrasive or corrosive than toothpaste; also dries slower).

Anyway, clean up, new paste, lower the OC, then raise it slowly again from there. My guess is the darn thing just needs some love. If not, you can always sell it for a couple hundred bucks. Sell it with the Mobo and switch to Ryzen (Not kidding, look at 3770k Motherboard on Ebay and see what they are selling for. People in the East are buying them at over $300 USD (Used, just CPU), it's crazy.

Was at McDonald's on my Thinkpad P70 and I had a gentleman ask how I was able to still use "such an old laptop". I asked what he meant. His response was "laptops that large haven't been made since the mid 90s and you can't even use the Internet because DOS isnt able to." Was working in Linux. I wasn't sure how to respond. 

On 17.1.2013 at 4:18 PM, rainbrodash666 said:

after we would not GIVE her another drive she said she would never shop here again and left. but came back an hour later because best buy sold the same hdd for $225 or so. but the next time she let us install it.

I did not laugh until she was out of the store like a true professional.

I would have laught right when she stept in to the room. 

Resect :D

7 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Was at McDonald's on my Thinkpad P70 and I had a gentleman ask how I was able to still use "such an old laptop". I asked what he meant. His response was "laptops that large haven't been made since the mid 90s and you can't even use the Internet because DOS isnt able to." Was working in Linux. I wasn't sure how to respond. 

You should have sat him down over a big Mac and explained that you could use the Internet in DOS, well before AOL was a pipe dream, before Explorer was a shell and not a real OS used in DOS and Baud modems were considered revolutionary in the mid 80's when the public could finally access them, though the prices were insane and the government had been using them for over a decade.

28 minutes ago, crzyces said:

Sorry, I have my own 7 year old son, mortgage, and the rest of the grown up bills to pay. I do have a suggestion. Set your CPU back to stock speeds. Clean your heatsinks (cpu, gpu, motherboard, and fans). Clean off your old thermal paste and put new thermal paste on. Do a new Windows install, or a thorough repair from disk/usb drive, whatever. Re-seat your cpu, RAM, and gpu (you'll have to take them out, well besides RAM) to clean them anyway). Artic silver is about 3 bucks at Walmart. I'm sure mom would grab some for you if you don't have $3 lying around. If it runs stable after cleaning at stock, then start the OC'ing again.

I recently cleaned my cpu heatsink and fan, and low and behold, after two years since it's last thorough scrub, my thermal paste was gone. I mean there were a few traces, but for all intents and purposes, it was gone. I mmediately grabbed some triple paste diaper rash ointment and a dab of Vaseline, mixed it, and applied it as a temp fix (When I put normal arctic silver on the next week it was still fine, and lowered my temps over 20 C. Not the best fix, but it worked in a pinch, and having 1/10th dried out thermal paste left is in a pinch (Main ingredient being zinc oxide, less abrasive or corrosive than toothpaste; also dries slower).

Anyway, clean up, new paste, lower the OC, then raise it slowly again from there. My guess is the darn thing just needs some love. If not, you can always sell it for a couple hundred bucks. Sell it with the Mobo and switch to Ryzen (Not kidding, look at 3770k Motherboard on Ebay and see what they are selling for. People in the East are buying them at over $300 USD (Used, just CPU), it's crazy.

artic silver is shit. get atleast MX-2 or something. also im pretty sure he has put it back to stock, his CPU has degraded from OC or something probably but a motherboard and heatsink clean never hurts i guess.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

15 minutes ago, crzyces said:

You should have sat him down over a big Mac and explained that you could use the Internet in DOS, well before AOL was a pipe dream, before Explorer was a shell and not a real OS used in DOS and Baud modems were considered revolutionary in the mid 80's when the public could finally access them, though the prices were insane and the government had been using them for over a decade.

I have found my group. LOL...

11 minutes ago, crzyces said:

Thought about it. However, my mind was more concerned with my 20 piece and large fry. What I didn't understand was that he was in his late 40s to early 50s. I guess too many people are more concerned with paper light, while I'm concerned with it being built like a paper weight.

On 5/4/2017 at 10:56 PM, themctipers said:

cook is a cock.

Jobs was the Visionary of the Big 4 that started the revolution on the Brown Box you put together yourself like a transistor radio from instructions you ordered from the back of comics. Gates was the selfish finance guy, the other two were the savants with no social skills. Heck, didn't Wasniak and Jobs write basic on paper with holes punched in it by hand to run their transistor radio PC?

How many times did Apple fire or demote Jobs? 2 firings, 3 demotions? Each time he came back and saved them. Apples used to be worth the money (which was why he was always standing with one foot out the door as the profit margins were not big enough). I'm not saying Apples would be worth their cost if he were still around and healthy, but I bet the parts used would be a heck of a lot better, and the prices just a tad more affordable.

If you haven't seen it, watch the mini series Pirates of Silicon Valley. I believe it was a TnT mini-series/movie. Really good, close to the book, and far better than the "Jobs" movie IMO. I think it is on YouTube actually.