Experiences with non-techies

On 5/4/2017 at 10:56 PM, themctipers said:

cook is a cock.

Jobs was the Visionary of the Big 4 that started the revolution on the Brown Box you put together yourself like a transistor radio from instructions you ordered from the back of comics. Gates was the selfish finance guy, the other two were the savants with no social skills. Heck, didn't Wasniak and Jobs write basic on paper with holes punched in it by hand to run their transistor radio PC?

How many times did Apple fire or demote Jobs? 2 firings, 3 demotions? Each time he came back and saved them. Apples used to be worth the money (which was why he was always standing with one foot out the door as the profit margins were not big enough). I'm not saying Apples would be worth their cost if he were still around and healthy, but I bet the parts used would be a heck of a lot better, and the prices just a tad more affordable.

If you haven't seen it, watch the mini series Pirates of Silicon Valley. I believe it was a TnT mini-series/movie. Really good, close to the book, and far better than the "Jobs" movie IMO. I think it is on YouTube actually.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Time for a McDonald's sponsored retro PC build.

486 or Pentium's?

You decide.^_^

4 minutes ago, crzyces said:

Jobs was the Visionary of the Big 4 that started the revolution on the Brown Box you put together yourself like a transistor radio from instructions you ordered from the back of comics. Gates was the selfish finance guy, the other two were the savants with no social skills. Heck, didn't Wasniak and Jobs write basic on paper with holes punched in it by hand to run their transistor radio PC?

How many times did Apple fire or demote Jobs? 2 firings, 3 demotions? Each time he came back and saved them. Apples used to be worth the money (which was why he was always standing with one foot out the door as the profit margins were not big enough). I'm not saying Apples would be worth their cost if he were still around and healthy, but I bet the parts used would be a heck of a lot better, and the prices just a tad more affordable.

If you haven't seen it, watch the mini series Pirates of Silicon Valley. I believe it was a TnT mini-series/movie. Really good, close to the book, and far better than the "Jobs" movie IMO. I think it is on YouTube actually.

they take $89 for a fucking charger... apple can piss off -_- (may be overly salty but like really? $89 for your laptop charger???)

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Factory OC said:

486 or Pentium's?

You decide.^_^

well if you have a slot 1 mobo i have a P3 600EB around lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

well if you have a slot 1 mobo i have a P3 600EB around lol

I can get one for 5$, but it's a stupid Dell board...

I can get one for 5$, but it's a stupid Dell board...

well honesly if you live outside of europe shipping would make it cheaper to get the P3 somewhere close anyway

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

well honesly if you live outside of europe shipping would make it cheaper to get the P3 somewhere close anyway

I live far away from Europe... 20$ Gets me a Pentium 3 700 MHz, a Dell motherboard, and 512 MB of ram here. Now we just need a case, PSU, GPU, and McDonald's as a sponsor...

I wonder if that deal is still available....

Just now, Dylanc1500 said:

486DX4 overclocked with custom  water cooling.

Holy crap. I would love to see thatB|

16 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

artic silver is shit. get atleast MX-2 or something. also im pretty sure he has put it back to stock, his CPU has degraded from OC or something probably but a motherboard and heatsink clean never hurts i guess.

I'm guessing Artic Silver is better than what is left of whatever is on there. I've never heard of MX-2. I've heard of TX-2 and TX-3, and I just found Artic Cooling MX-2. No idea if it is better, but I will take your word for it. Honestly, I've never had an issue with Artic Silver High Density, even the ceramique 2 premium line (I think that is their cheapest, literally $3.03 usd for about 5 cpus worth of paste). Not my first choice, but again, fine in most cases.

I hope he didn't ruin the inside from the OC. I have 2 profiles, one for gaming and one for older games/normal tasks where I'm underclocked to 2.5, one OC'd to 4.1 again (multiplier, not BCLK obviously). If he hurt the interior thermal, I'd hate to suggest a delid, as Haswells are a pain if you've never delidded (at least I found them a pain as I had to whack one so hard I dented it, though I know other people who did it with filed plastic their feet bracing it, and a rubber mallet, so idk. It still worked fine, but boy was that top on good, and I doubt he has access to a vice or good delidding kit. I would not put artic silver inside a cpu, I'd go higher end there. Most likely a Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra based and a IC Diamond between the CPU and fan. If he could afford it, and someone could delid it for him, that is what I'd suggest if it was feasible both in price and experience delidding.

Still, I feel wrong suggesting a delid to a 13 year old with no one there in person to coach him through it. Heh, broken chip, sued as he decided to use a razor blade, slipped and spliced a tendon in his hand...

9 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

I live far away from Europe... 20$ Gets me a Pentium 3 700 MHz, a Dell motherboard, and 512 MB of ram here. Now we just need a case, PSU, GPU, and McDonald's as a sponsor...

I wonder if that deal is still available....

I found the case

image.jpg.b9a94813efbed3e733a3a13184bee69b.jpg

11 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

I found the case

image.jpg.b9a94813efbed3e733a3a13184bee69b.jpg

I didn't know McDonald's made PC cases:P

Peasant logic:
18301867_1905507233024214_466438337048303804_n.jpg.e975ff98913474ad3e8baa3e1c6e4c9a.jpg

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

10 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

Peasant logic:
18301867_1905507233024214_466438337048303804_n.jpg.e975ff98913474ad3e8baa3e1c6e4c9a.jpg

The f*ck, you can't be serious...

46 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Holy crap. I would love to see thatB|

Look at this bad boy I pulled from the dump a few weeks ago (Heh, case, 2 P2's on one board (I'd never seen it in a P2 before, ram, HD, PSU, CD drive from 96... I thought the 2nd encloser was a GPU, but it has a Voodoo 2 in it.

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

1 minute ago, crzyces said:

Look at this bad boy I pulled from the dump a few weeks ago (Heh, case, 2 P2's on one board (I'd never seen it in a P2 before, ram, HD, PSU, CD drive from 96... I thought the 2nd encloser was a GPU, but it has a Voodoo 2 in it.

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

That's a super lucky find. Nice job:)!

3 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Looks like Ronald McDonald threw up on a Power Mac G5

The enclosure has a 2nd P2. The voodoo 2 is in the board already in a different slot.

The enclosure has a 2nd P2. The voodoo 2 is in the board already in a different slot.

I'm not @Factory OC lol. 

That's a super lucky find. Nice job:)!

I was looking for old cases to chop up for custom builds, maybe a few old heat sinks for cheap peltier cooling, and there it was. I was looking at the board, the weird heatsink setup, and said "Screw it, I'll just grab the whole thing. Found what I think is a P4 D as well, but no writing, no ram, so I can't post to look it up. It had XP on it so it could be a duo, but I doubt it.

Just now, crzyces said:

I was looking for old cases to chop up for custom builds, maybe a few old heat sinks for cheap peltier cooling, and there it was. I was looking at the board, the weird heatsink setup, and said "Screw it, I'll just grab the whole thing. Found what I think is a P4 D as well, but no writing, no ram, so I can't post to look it up. It had XP on it so it could be a duo, but I doubt it.

I wish I had that at my dump. Must be a P4, many people bought them for XP.

1 minute ago, Dylanc1500 said:

I'm not @Factory OC lol. 

Sorry paperweight ;)

2 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

I wish I had that at my dump. Must be a P4, many people bought them for XP.

Since it costs $10 bucks in every town for 45 miles to dump a PC, $15 for TV's or monitors, $7 for tires, people come to this little town 5 miles from the ghetto to put them in a shed for free. It's full almost every day.

Take a look, maybe you'll be able to tell from the die...

IMG_0062.JPG

Since it costs $10 bucks in every town for 45 miles to dump a PC, $15 for TV's or monitors, $7 for tires, people come to this little town 5 miles from the ghetto to put them in a shed for free. It's full almost every day.

Take a look, maybe you'll be able to tell from the die...

IMG_0062.JPG

Yep, that's a P4. Duo's have a 004 mark under the processor.