Experiences with non-techies

Today in school we had a discussion about how to save energy (and renewable energy) and there was a talking point as an example that said: Googles Data Centers need so and so much power a day , so for me as a tech savvy guy it was an pretty interesting discussion about renewable power sources, but thats not the point. The point is when this Ultra dumb girl from our class said why not delete the Internet every day so we don`t need more energy and new servers. I laughed at her so hard and Facepalmed so hard that it hurt. That was the same Ultra dumb girl that manged to bend the connectors of two HDMI 2.0 cables by 30 degrees.

Or when dumb people recommend you old technologies. 

#HardFaceplamthatmyforheadisred

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

1 minute ago, Pascal... said:

Today in school we had a discussion about how to save Energie (and renewable Energie) and there was a talking point as an example that said: Googles Data Centers need so and so much power a day , so for me as a tech savvy guy it was an pretty interesting discussion about renewable power sources, but thats not the point. The point is when this Ultra dumb girl from our class said why not delete the Internet every day so we don`t need more Energie and new servers. I laughed at her so hard and Facepalmed so hard that it hurt. That was the same Ultra dumb girl that manged to bend the connectors of two HDMI 2.0 cables by 30 degrees.

Or when dumb people recommend you old technologies. 

#HardFaceplamthatmyforheadisred

You mean energy? Yeah, some people say the stupidest crap sometimes...

Just now, Factory OC said:

At least she wasn't in her 40's thinking the internet came into being with Windows 95/98...

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

Just now, crzyces said:

At least she wasn't in her 40's thinking the internet came into being with Windows 95/98...

Only selected people will understand this joke, LOL.

1 minute ago, Factory OC said:

Oh yeah, energy and not energie. The second one is german. My bad

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Just now, Pascal... said:

Oh yeah, energy and not energie. The second one is german. My bad

It's also Afrikaans.

Only selected people will understand this joke, LOL.

That's alright, a few will if they read a little up further. I'm wondering if I should fix this dual P2 up. I have a Windows 98 and an XP around somewhere, and it already has RAM. I think I have a couple old 133 sticks that will fit it as well. The case needs serious work, but the interior is mint.

It's also Afrikaans.

W.C. Fields

Just now, crzyces said:

That's alright, a few will if they read a little up further. I'm wondering if I should fix this dual P2 up. I have a Windows 98 and an XP around somewhere, and it already has RAM. I think I have a couple old 133 sticks that will fit it as well. The case needs serious work, but the interior is mint.

Should be a fun project. I would love to do that.

5 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Should be a fun project. I would love to do that.

I just looked up dual slot Pentium 2. The board is worth, at minimum, $100. The standup proc if it is a normal p2 is worth minimum $44, if it's a Xeon it's worth $90+, the regular cpu I can't tell as it is locked down good and I never got around to it as I was working on two dual x5650 custom builds, my own which I screwed up badly (I'll private message that info), and random other jobs. I knew the board looked different, but had no idea. If it's an Intel board and not an ECX the price jumps to $200. This is nuts.

2 minutes ago, crzyces said:

I just looked up dual slot Pentium 2. The board is worth, at minimum, $100. The standup proc if it is a normal p2 is worth minimum $44, if it's a Xeon it's worth $90+, the regular cpu I can't tell as it is locked down good and I never got around to it as I was working on two dual x5650 custom builds, my own which I screwed up badly (I'll private message that info), and random other jobs. I knew the board looked different, but had no idea. If it's an Intel board and not an ECX the price jumps to $200. This is nuts.

You have a even huger problem when you screw up. Hope you do it right, and please PM me that info.

1 hour ago, crzyces said:

I'm guessing Artic Silver is better than what is left of whatever is on there. I've never heard of MX-2. I've heard of TX-2 and TX-3, and I just found Artic Cooling MX-2. No idea if it is better, but I will take your word for it. Honestly, I've never had an issue with Artic Silver High Density, even the ceramique 2 premium line (I think that is their cheapest, literally $3.03 usd for about 5 cpus worth of paste). Not my first choice, but again, fine in most cases.

I hope he didn't ruin the inside from the OC. I have 2 profiles, one for gaming and one for older games/normal tasks where I'm underclocked to 2.5, one OC'd to 4.1 again (multiplier, not BCLK obviously). If he hurt the interior thermal, I'd hate to suggest a delid, as Haswells are a pain if you've never delidded (at least I found them a pain as I had to whack one so hard I dented it, though I know other people who did it with filed plastic their feet bracing it, and a rubber mallet, so idk. It still worked fine, but boy was that top on good, and I doubt he has access to a vice or good delidding kit. I would not put artic silver inside a cpu, I'd go higher end there. Most likely a Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra based and a IC Diamond between the CPU and fan. If he could afford it, and someone could delid it for him, that is what I'd suggest if it was feasible both in price and experience delidding.

Still, I feel wrong suggesting a delid to a 13 year old with no one there in person to coach him through it. Heh, broken chip, sued as he decided to use a razor blade, slipped and spliced a tendon in his hand...

if you want to delid you should first practice on a bunch of P4's. its surprisingly good as stress relif aswell to just hammer away at a wooden block trying to get a soldred TIM of the chip lol. anyway MX-2 is my go to cheapo paste and NT-H1 for anything that i actiually care about how hot it is. you can get like 10g of MX-2 for $7 or something and it preforms better then Artic silver 5 by a sizable amount IIRC. MX-4 is better yet but a bit more expensive and NT-H1 even better, its top teir stuff only topped by one or two pastes and ofc basically all liquid metal pastes lol. 

1 hour ago, crzyces said:

Look at this bad boy I pulled from the dump a few weeks ago (Heh, case, 2 P2's on one board (I'd never seen it in a P2 before, ram, HD, PSU, CD drive from 96... I thought the 2nd encloser was a GPU, but it has a Voodoo 2 in it.

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

reminds me of when i dug through the shit my dads then workplace was throwing out with my friend and i came across a slot 1 CPU. i was like "what the fuck kind of graphics card is this????" took me like 2 years to bother looking it up and it turned out to be a P3 600EB :P still worth a coupple of bucks i think

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well if you have a slot 1 mobo i have a P3 600EB around lol

My neighbor recently gave me 5 Slot 1 boards and a crapload of P2's and P3's to go with them. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

54 minutes ago, crzyces said:

Since it costs $10 bucks in every town for 45 miles to dump a PC, $15 for TV's or monitors, $7 for tires, people come to this little town 5 miles from the ghetto to put them in a shed for free. It's full almost every day.

Take a look, maybe you'll be able to tell from the die...

why cant sweden fucking work like that, that way id be able to actiually aford to do fun shit like case modding -_- instead they just throw hundreds of dollars worth in computers, computer lighting, cases, components and so on away in the electronics recycling to be shipped to china where they get paid to scrape the gold out or some shit like that :| 

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

My neighbor recently gave me 5 Slot 1 boards and a crapload of P2's and P3's to go with them. 

thats pretty fun. the only reason i still have this P3 around still is that 1: there is nobody to sell it to 2: it was made almost on my birthday lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

52 minutes ago, Pascal... said:

Today in school we had a discussion about how to save energy (and renewable energy) and there was a talking point as an example that said: Googles Data Centers need so and so much power a day , so for me as a tech savvy guy it was an pretty interesting discussion about renewable power sources, but thats not the point. The point is when this Ultra dumb girl from our class said why not delete the Internet every day so we don`t need more energy and new servers. I laughed at her so hard and Facepalmed so hard that it hurt. That was the same Ultra dumb girl that manged to bend the connectors of two HDMI 2.0 cables by 30 degrees.

My mom thinks my "servers" use too much power. One has like a 270 watt PSU and the other has a 305 watt PSU. Trust me, my gaming rig pulls more than those 2 combined. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

thats pretty fun. the only reason i still have this P3 around still is that 1: there is nobody to sell it to 2: it was made almost on my birthday lol

He also gave me two Pentium Pro's on one board with power filters or something. It's so you can use dual processors on a single-slot board. 

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

He also gave me two Pentium Pro's on one board with power filters or something. It's so you can use dual processors on a single-slot board. 

wow... imagine if they made those things today, DUAL R7 1800x'S :D

Builds:

Spoiler

Give me a tldr pls

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

wow... imagine if they made those things today, DUAL R7 1800x'S :D

I know, that would be amazing! The Pentium board is still brand new, too. 

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

Give me a tldr pls

MX-2 is better the Artic silver V, you should clean your motherboard, we talked about a MC donalds sponsored retro PC and shit like that and some ones idiotic classmate said something insainely stupid(two pages back or something)

Builds:

Spoiler

MX-2 is better the Artic silver V, you should clean your motherboard, we talked about a MC donalds sponsored retro PC and shit like that and some ones idiotic classmate said something insainely stupid(two pages back or something)

image.thumb.jpeg.2071f7d9316306f226fed3f4a112afee.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8e665d17ef109848245226815b242fe1.jpeg

haha

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

haha

my computer is worse.... like 10x worse. i have a 4.5 slot GPU that fucking hits my CPU cooler man... all cabled to front I/O, harddrives and so on go between the motherboard and the GPU right behind the 16x slot and there are cables just shoved ontop of my PSU -_- but hey, your motherboard looks pretty clean atleast

Builds:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

my computer is worse.... like 10x worse. i have a 4.5 slot GPU that fucking hits my CPU cooler man... all cabled to front I/O, harddrives and so on go between the motherboard and the GPU right behind the 16x slot and there are cables just shoved ontop of my PSU -_- but hey, your motherboard looks pretty clean atleast

Because I washed it with water while it was on. 

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

16 minutes ago, themctipers said:

image.thumb.jpeg.2071f7d9316306f226fed3f4a112afee.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.8e665d17ef109848245226815b242fe1.jpeg

haha

That thing looks like a monster from an old sci-fi movie. I'm gonna have nightmares now *ducks away from attacking cable...*

16 minutes ago, themctipers said:

Because I washed it with water while it was on. 

oh yah, forgot about that. that might be another reason Vegas is crashing on you lol.

Builds:

Spoiler