Experiences with non-techies

2 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

This isn't really an experience but I can't believe almost everyone I know won't be able to know the satisfaction of installing a GPU...

It's not satisfying. It's annoying. You can install my GPUs.  

(I'll swap them out every few days from a 1070 to a 430, back to a 1070 because macOS :) )

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

28 minutes ago, themctipers said:

It's not satisfying. It's annoying. You can install my GPUs.  

(I'll swap them out every few days from a 1070 to a 430, back to a 1070 because macOS :) )

Should've been clearer. The snap sound is satisfying.

13 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

I never get a snap sound. I only get the sound that my motherboard is about to break and is not happy with me.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

This isn't really an experience but I can't believe almost everyone I know won't be able to know the satisfaction of installing a GPU...

I think you are wrong on that one. 19 years ago installing a gpu was rare for someone to just "know" how to do, and very uncommon for someone to chance it on their own. Think of the work back then. Take the old gpu out (if there was one), insert new card into slot. Hope Windows 95, 98, or 2k finds it (and pray you did not have Windows ME back then) (Windows 2k was the only one likely to notice it and have the drivers to let it display anything right off the bat). Then, insert the driver disk and select your OS. Oh gosh, what OS is this... hit enter, but there is custom install; no I'm hitting enter. Then a prompt to go to the website to get the latest drivers. Oh gosh, that could be like 3 megabytes. This is going to take at least 15-25 minutes (No joke, it took that long if you had a decent line).

I think, within the next 5 years or so, the only one's who won't be installing their own hardware, or capable of) are going to be either very intellectually incapable of learning (borderline retarded, IQ of 75 or less), secluded and there-by ignorant (very remote tribes living based on their ancestral beliefs), or just stubborn and not wishing to learn.

What I can't believe is that in 5 years people won't be able to appreciate the art of certain people's cursive writing style. Heck, they probably will not even be able to read it. 

Edited by crzyces
I'm worried about cursive? Without edit that post was gobble-dee-gook.

There is enough youth in this world, how about a fountain of smart?

32 minutes ago, Abyss Gaming said:

what snap sound? I don't get any

8 minutes ago, crzyces said:

I think you are wrong on that one. 19 years ago installing a gpu was rare for someone to just "know" how to do, and very uncommon for someone to chance it on their own. Think of the work back then. Take the old gpu out (if there was one), insert new card into slot. Hope Windows 95, 98, or 2k finds it (and pray you did not have Windows ME back then) (Windows 2k was the only one likely to notice it and have the drivers to let it display anything right off the bat). Then, insert the driver disk and select your OS. Oh gosh, what OS is this... hit enter, but there is custom install; no I'm hitting enter. Then a prompt to go to the website to get the latest drivers. Oh gosh, that could be like 3 megabytes. This is going to take at least 15-25 minutes (No joke, it took that long if you had a decent line).

I think, within the next 5 years or so, the only one's who won't be installing their own hardware, or capable of) are going to be either very intellectually incapable of learning (borderline retarded, IQ of 75 or less), secluded and there-by ignorant (very remote tribes living based on their ancestral beliefs), or just stubborn and not wishing to learn.

What I can't believe is that in 5 years people won't be able to appreciate the art of certain people's cursive writing style. Heck, they probably will not even be able to read it. 

you mean ~14

i can barely read cursive, but i cant write cursive. i would learn to write a tiny bit faster in class, but that's learning a whole new writing style + needs to be more accurate (my writing is messy as fuck)

-

the first non prebuilt my dad has was his p2 machine, and wow he went through a fuck ton of gpus.. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

4 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

4 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I never get a snap sound. I only get the sound that my motherboard is about to break and is not happy with me.

my Cards just drop in and sit there , dunno what you guys are doing , but if a gpu is doing the snap-crackle-pop! id run

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

8 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

not really, my 970 takes up 4 fucking slots and i have to almost bend my CPU cooler to get it in there, PCI-e 16x just inst very nice to deal with once you get a GPU that weighs around a kilo and a half because cooling that barely fits your motherboard. my ITX motherboard that i have for the Toaster Project dosent even have a clip and i have to say i have a LOT and i mean a LOT of hate for the clip seeing as it just tends to disapear behind backplates and extra thick GPUs so you have to jam a scewdriver in there to get the god damn GPU out, and thats 5^9999999999 times worse with my main computer because the rear heatsink takes up over a slot and as i mentioned, hits my NH-D14 so i have to bend it slightly out of the way to get it in there. to get it out i litteraly have to take a long ass scewdriver and stab my motherboard repetadly in the sortof right area untill i manage to stab the clip and then i have to make sure the card dosent just crush my sound card as it pops out. PCI-e 16x can piss off. also so can ASUS. and EVGA.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

not really, my 970 takes up 4 fucking slots

pics or it didnt happen

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Just now, Space Reptile said:

pics or it didnt happen

il get some when i get home. i slapped an aftermarket cooler on it so it wouldent go over 60C and crash when overclocking(even 1MHz overclock crashed it as soon as it got to 60C and it was totaly fine with 60C with no overclock. no clue how that worked but thats how it was) and that cooler keeps it bellow 51C at all times, even Furmark :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

BUTTHURT PEOPLE ON UBRAN DICTIONARY

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

----------X-----------X------------

12 hours ago, Donut417 said:

Because you its hard to find a place that sell real pizza. Also, it depends on the kind you like. Personally Im a Chicago style man myself. But I also really like thin crust. The issue is, we dont have many options for that where I live. For Chicago style we got Old Chicago. I really dont have an option for thin crust. So I gotta go to a Chain or frozen from the store. 

Now when I went out to Chicago, I got me some real pizza. It really the reason I want to go back out their again, just for pizza. 

Chicago deep dish FTW bruh.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 hours ago, DocSwag said:

Chicago deep dish FTW bruh.

@Donut417

I love Pizza. It's up there with chicken caesar salad, home made chile' (So simple, so healthy, so cheap to make), coney Island Hot Dogs, Tacos, and pasta with Grand Ma's meatballs cooked in the sauce. Yum.

Chicago is cool (the bus station sucks though). I only had pizza there 3 times (I've only been there a total of maybe 10 days/nights of my life). A friend made me go to Spacca Napoli. Decent thin crust for Chicago, but I recommend further east for real thin crust. I did have the 2nd best thick crust pizza I'd ever had in Chicago. Gino's east I believe it was called? I'm not a fan of Chicago as a city. I've been 3 times and physically fought twice.  Not cool. Plus, you can't turn on red lights, and people wait for the "walk" signal" to cross the street. Weird.

Papa Gino only has about 150 locations (They just started franchising about 7 years ago, and the cost is outlandish, as are the standards the franchises are held too. ei If you do not make the dough from scratch at the restaurant, it has to be delivered within 24 hours, and served within 24 hours upon reception., so they haven't sold out yet (Quality and taste wise). Their pizza is still the same as it was when I was 9 years old going there after the movies. Like you have to get a "Po Boy" if you visit New Orleans, you have to try a classic thin crust cheese pizza from Papa Gino if you are in the North East US (I think they tossed one in NC and a couple in Florida as well, or are in the process of, but though they are owned by Pepsi now, they are still run mom and pop style, so I'm not sure how it will catch on. They're more expensive than Domino, a little cheaper than Pizza Hut and Papa John, but it'll still run ya $11.99 usd + tax for a large cheese. Again, if you visit MA, RI, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Vermont, NY, or Jersey, you have to try them. Their deep dish is good as well. The sauce makes it though, not the whole package.

If you make it further to the eastern US, hit up Cape Cod. There is a Pizza place about 15 minutes west of the islands in a small town that is really a ghetto city besides a few streets called Norton. Travelli's Pizza is insanely good. No great. Rating the Pizza I've had across the country, it is the best all around. Papa Gino takes the best chain in my book, and is way up their on the overall list, as is Piezoni's (Very small franchise), but Travelli's is the bomb. Peple drive from Manhattan and Chicago for their Deep Dish. If you drive 11 hours for pizza, in a town celebrated for their pizza, well that says something. It is that good.

I'm going to Sacramento for a fitness camp at the end of June. If anyone around that part of Cali has any recommendations for good restaurants, i am all ears. I've only been to Sacramento, all for Bodytribe Fitness Camps, and they are into the sushi/fake meat food, and that's not me, so I had a tough time finding places that weren't chains that served edible food. If they serve Tofu or Sushi, I won't enjoy the place. It's been tried and tested. To do Sushi and Tofu you need to be a certain kind of chef. They don't make food I enjoy, even if they try (Please don't be a "But you haven't tried it here" type. 10+ samples of 4 and 5 * restaurants are enough money wasted for me. I don't like those types of chefs, even if they are trying for a Ribeye).

Enough food talk. I am going to call it a day, grab a... what is this...it has a disk drive (floppy) and a 40x cd (non writable...) to fix at home while whipping up a pan of lasagna (with real 15% fat ground beef, lots of ricotta cheese mixed with an egg, the fattiest Mozzarella I can find; but I will use fresh tomatoes, basil, garlic, and sea salt for the sauce along with high fiber stone ground pasta ;^) . See, kinda healthy in a "Who cares, this tastes great" way. 1750 or so calories per plate without garlic bread. Emm emm...Wow I am starving now.

5 hours ago, crzyces said:

@Donut417

I love Pizza. It's up there with chicken caesar salad, home made chile' (So simple, so healthy, so cheap to make), coney Island Hot Dogs, Tacos, and pasta with Grand Ma's meatballs cooked in the sauce. Yum.

Chicago is cool (the bus station sucks though). I only had pizza there 3 times (I've only been there a total of maybe 10 days/nights of my life). A friend made me go to Spacca Napoli. Decent thin crust for Chicago, but I recommend further east for real thin crust. I did have the 2nd best thick crust pizza I'd ever had in Chicago. Gino's east I believe it was called? I'm not a fan of Chicago as a city. I've been 3 times and physically fought twice.  Not cool. Plus, you can't turn on red lights, and people wait for the "walk" signal" to cross the street. Weird.

Papa Gino only has about 150 locations (They just started franchising about 7 years ago, and the cost is outlandish, as are the standards the franchises are held too. ei If you do not make the dough from scratch at the restaurant, it has to be delivered within 24 hours, and served within 24 hours upon reception., so they haven't sold out yet (Quality and taste wise). Their pizza is still the same as it was when I was 9 years old going there after the movies. Like you have to get a "Po Boy" if you visit New Orleans, you have to try a classic thin crust cheese pizza from Papa Gino if you are in the North East US (I think they tossed one in NC and a couple in Florida as well, or are in the process of, but though they are owned by Pepsi now, they are still run mom and pop style, so I'm not sure how it will catch on. They're more expensive than Domino, a little cheaper than Pizza Hut and Papa John, but it'll still run ya $11.99 usd + tax for a large cheese. Again, if you visit MA, RI, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Vermont, NY, or Jersey, you have to try them. Their deep dish is good as well. The sauce makes it though, not the whole package.

If you make it further to the eastern US, hit up Cape Cod. There is a Pizza place about 15 minutes west of the islands in a small town that is really a ghetto city besides a few streets called Norton. Travelli's Pizza is insanely good. No great. Rating the Pizza I've had across the country, it is the best all around. Papa Gino takes the best chain in my book, and is way up their on the overall list, as is Piezoni's (Very small franchise), but Travelli's is the bomb. Peple drive from Manhattan and Chicago for their Deep Dish. If you drive 11 hours for pizza, in a town celebrated for their pizza, well that says something. It is that good.

I went to Gino's while there. Definitely pretty good, though I personally preferred Lou Malnatis' :P 

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎28 at 10:33 PM, Sierra Fox said:

They spend an hour and a half "resetting" her "profile" because it "may have been corrupted".

Hehe.  What an IT department.  I've never heard of profiles and books corrupting, lol.

This thread is so great!

1146 pages.

If this is not copyrighted, which it is (I think), I'll probably make a script and then turn this whole thread into a book, that's a #1 New York Times Bestseller right there, my friends, a very nerdy one though.......

Well, one very generic and common one, we all have experienced, are all the wannabe techies.  They say "GB" not "Gigs", only know RAM amount, only know i5 and i7, so no Ryzen or K series U series HQ CPUs anytime soon, and, worst of all they don't know what GPUs are.  When I say, "get the 15" MBP if you really want a semi-powerful Apple (what did you expect), it has a discrete GPU".  They just say, dude, CPUs are better than GPUs, that's why they are so popular, I'll go with a CPU instead.  *Facepalm.

Also, everything is "fashion", MacBook Air looks "stylish", buy Apple cause it is "sexy" (boring and bland, but popular), and buy beats, cause you want those "hot" selfies and not that "hot" sound.  Use an EQ if you want 600% overpowered bass.....

And that's all for today, more tech-ass stories coming soon.....

*I should write one of these each week, that would be really fun.....

But, back in the old days, I was one of them too.  Apple diehard fan, only know about i5 and i7, SATA is a hard drive form factor, trackpads beat mice, etc.......

18 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

But, back in the old days, I was one of them too.  Apple diehard fan, only know about i5 and i7, SATA is a hard drive form factor, trackpads beat mice, etc.......

I remember thinking our family pc was better than the MBP because the Core 2 Duo in there was 3.1 ghz or so whereas the MBP only had a 2.5 ghz or so one...

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

I remember thinking our family pc was better than the MBP because the Core 2 Duo in there was 3.1 ghz or so whereas the MBP only had a 2.5 ghz or so one...

Probably weren't wrong, mobile cpus still suck ass to this day. And macs are even worse since they slow down when they get hot.

Macs JUST work though, I personally prefer Windows though, because Mac OS is like a digital desktop, whereas Windows is a sexy OS which provides more advantages over a physical desk and is much more sexy than Mac OS

5 minutes ago, ArduinoBen said:

Macs JUST work though, I personally prefer Windows though, because Mac OS is like a digital desktop, whereas Windows is a sexy OS which provides more advantages over a physical desk and is much more sexy than Mac OS

Really? I think most people would say the exact opposite xD 

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Really? I think most people would say the exact opposite xD 

We should come out with our own line, you know, cool and flashy like Apple. We can call it the "Sunkissed" The laptop can be called the "Cutie (Based on those tangerine/orange hybrids that are pretty darn tasty)" and will run on the "Citrus" OS. Copyright infringement could get sticky though. Get it, because citrus fruits always make your fingers sticky, and...yep I need to sleep more at night. Good fun! Wow I am fricken lame sometimes.

Build

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1600, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte X470 Gaming 7. TeamGroup Viper 4133mhz 16gb, XFX RX 480 8 GB (1000mhz cause dying), Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB M.2 SSD, An old 1tb 5400 rpm 2.5" HDD, TeamGroup 480gb & Kingston 480gb ssds (May RAID 0), 1TB Western Ditigal HDD, EVGA 750W G2 PSU, Phanteks P400s

1 minute ago, DeezNoNos said:

7600 and not 1600? *sigh*

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Just now, DocSwag said:

7600 and not 1600? *sigh*

It gets worse

Build

Spoiler